Ridiculous Games Contest 2019

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Dev Note: Tilemap and wallmap are basically finished, subject to some small revisions down the line. Aside from the final boss encounter, enemy definitions (but not formation definitions) are finished. Some enemies will probably be hit with the nerf hammer over the next few days, since I decided to abandon armor and accessories so there's less defensive and offensive customizability to play with, and no debuff spells on the heroes' side; just damage, heals, and stat buff items.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Meanwhile, here I am spending time on clearly high-priority tasks.
Attachments
Like this elevator.
Like this elevator.
curse0023.gif (1.84 MiB) Viewed 4484 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I've only got a few days left to shove in the ways to obtain 11 more playable characters, populate the basement with some NPC mice for flavor and shops to sell an array of weapons and consumable food items, and implement the final boss encounter.

I can do this thing!
Attachments
OHRodents0019.png
OHRodents0019.png (23.53 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Dev Log:

Tuesday. Got home from work on time, but fell asleep immediately after eating dinner. Slept from 9 PM to 5 AM, then after briefly staying awake until 7 AM, slept until 1 PM. No game progress.

Wednesday. Got home from work after midnight. Spent about three or four hours sporadically adding things like treasure, NPC shopkeepers, and recruitable party members. Catnip, Police Mouse, and Doctor Mouse remain unattainable but probably not for long.
-Nathan and Jude are the starter party.
-Grape and Radar are mandatory additions, but not mandatory to actually keep on your party.
-Blueberry and Rice are a mutually exclusive party from Bob and Misa. Both groups are found outside the inn rather than in its basement.
-Ketchup is mutually exclusive from Mustard.
-The Grand Zark agrees to work in exchange for a not insubstantial bribe of cheese. HONOR GRAN ZARK.
-Pikahcu!!! can be found in the upper floor of the inn, rather than its basement.
-Have tested and confirmed that mousetraps function basically as intended.
-Added attack definitions for the consumable attack items, at last!

Thursday. Woke up early, having only slept from 7-ish until 11 AM. Made some small tweaks to a couple items and shops.
Attachments
OHRodents0023.png
OHRodents0023.png (24.13 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

:2 Gol Ved

What day is itwhatdayisitwhatdayisit
consulting the schedule doesnt look good
a flower shop beyond pain and pleasure
kill pfx := false
check hero death()
The Box. I opened it. They came. Now I must make their game.
append number(0,dice2_result)
everyday i wonder if this is all secretly punishment

so, yeah, it's all coming along swimmingly.

having a lot of fun
Attachments
d20.png
d20.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Today's progress: Fell asleep without getting up to turn off the lights again, but this time I was at work until almost 1 AM rather than 8 PM so it makes more sense I'd be so tired. Upon waking up, booted up CUSTOM and started defining the stats for the final boss encounter. Made some minor tweaks to some shops. Added Doctor Mouse into the playable roster.

Running into a lot of little oddities with sprite alignment due to my use of nonstandard sprite sizes. The lighter looks right in this recording, but not all the other times I used it, and Nathan's Grape Slush Slash had its handle way out of alignment the last time I tried using it. Boomerangs and lemons, being smaller than normal attack animations, usually don't even come near the part of the enemy sprite with the enemy actually drawn on it, going instead for the empty upper left corner.

Just need to add in the boss fights, the script to quit the game when you win, and the ability to get Catnip or Police Mouse in your party.
Attachments
OHRodents0025.gif
OHRodents0025.gif (92.86 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Do you still eat enough? The deadline must be extended, else the contestants will starve from being sucked into their own creations. In most RPGs you don't need any food supply...
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Bird wrote:Do you still eat enough? The deadline must be extended, else the contestants will starve from being sucked into their own creations. In most RPGs you don't need any food supply...
If I do manage to Isekai into my game, it's full of commonplace and quite delicious food items.

I also don't eat before noon regardless of when I wake up.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Thanks to some scripting help on Discord I was able to implement a game over screen. Apparently scripts don't need Include, Plotscr.HSD at the start of the file anymore?

Tweaked a bunch of enemies' elemental resistances and (especially) weaknesses, changed the lists of who can equip what a little, and turned on the mouse support options. I don't personally play RPGs with the mouse when I can use the keyboard, but it just felt really appropriate for this game.

There's so many heroes that I just made hero swapping always available, though you also get a prompt bringing that and the equip menu up every time you get a new party member.

This game can be brutal if you run into a fox or a cat or whatever before recruiting any extra party members. Your best option is to flee - that game mechanic exists for a reason!
Attachments
OHRodents0027.gif
OHRodents0027.gif (301 KiB) Viewed 4344 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Dev log #2
Discussing.

Dev log #3
Experimenting.

Dev log #4-7
If you only have a month to make a game, spend the first three weeks sharpening your axe. Working on fixing OHR bugs.

Dev log #8-10
Attending an satellite electronics workshop all weekend. And on almost no sleep.

Dev log #11
Recovering.

Dev log #12
After discussions with Hawk we decided on how to both greatly scale back the game, and make it more fitting for the RGC. Well that's how I could describe it anyway.

Spent the evening implementing the text-to-speech system Foxley cruelly demanded. Doesn't he know this is serious? But this will come in useful for the game, I'm sure. Well, I have do have to get the robo-voiceovers past Hawk somehow.

Also working on an oil painting for the title card. Drat, my usual modus operandi -- tweak stuff until I
stumble on something that looks OK -- is far harder in oil.

Dev log #13
Working on bugs for Charbile.

Dev log #14
Working on art design. Worked out how I'm going to draw the tilesets. Forming a picture with your mind's eye is most of the work.
Also deciding whether to implement some new OHR graphics features for the game. Researching OpenGL capabilities for that purpose. Will be feasible.

I caught a cold. Productivity plummeting hereafter.

Dev log #15
Working on bugs for one Santino.

Dev log #16
Working on bugs for myself.

Dev log #17
Working on undo for Keyfrra.

Dev log #19
Finally got around to continuing on my painting. Now it's abandonable (i.e. "done (not done)"). Probably not good enough for a title card.

Dev log #20
Working on bugs for Feenicks/Charbile.

Dev log #21
This deadline is getting serious. What I need is autotiling in the map editor, in order to boost my productivity! Planning it out. This is complex. Haven't started yet.

Dev log #22
About 3 days left till the deadline. Cunning plan: create a game in the last 48 hours. I usually seem to get more done in a 48 hour contest than in these month-long ones. That means I can take today off.

Dev log #23
Took a nap.

Dev log #24
Working on summary stats for Fenrir.

Deadline
Damnit, I forgot to prepare something for April Fools again!
Last edited by TMC on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Oh, I forgot to post my submission here.
https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=135086

It's a bit of a mess, but it works!
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Because the gamelist is broken, here are working direct download links to the games, which I inexplicably possess.

Tworound - ChalkFlower (Game page)

PvPRPG - kylekrack (Game page)

Also

Ridiculous Games Contest 2019 Commencement - Idontknow (Game page)
Last edited by TMC on Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

In addition I have created an official page for the contest. The page itself is unifinished but I'll add more games as I get them in.

https://momwolf.neocities.org/rgc2019.html
Working as intended!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

And once SlimeSalad's gamelist is back up, my game's page is here: https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=7877

I've also been sharing it more directly on Discord, Skype, and by posting my Google Drive link to it alongside art and screenshots on my furry galleries.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

whoa, gamelist down? oh darn maybe we can see an extension (thanks Mogri)

SO! the news you knew was coming... because I like you guys, I'm going to take an extra day or two to finish things up. If I had to choose between winning a contest or you having more fun at my expense, then you know what choice I'd always make. This is going to be bonkers. Maybe I could have finished if I wasn't rolling on the floor laughing for half the day.

Let's see how many day-late points i can rack up!

what i have left.......
- finish BIG BOSS
- actually draw an ohr map with tileset and not halfass it again
- sound
- cutscene graphics required for visual gags
- playtest

can't wait to play everybody's games! am so hyped
Attachments
dare you even think of playing this game
dare you even think of playing this game
natalie_dungeon.gif (6.06 KiB) Viewed 4242 times