Page «  1, 2, 3, 4
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostSun Jul 28, 2019 5:01 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Okay, I love those clouds, and I want them in the game when the feature is ready. :D
Red Slime

PostSun Jul 28, 2019 5:31 pm
Alpha transparency is a huuuuge advancement! Glad you're working on it Smile
Red Slime

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 5:52 am
Alpha transparency is definitely one of the big things the engine needs
Metal King Slime

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 8:10 am
Updates not often enough.

I've been focusing on bugs. But not just release-blocker bugs. Umm. People using nightlies don't realise how buggy nightlies are, because they don't bump into of most of the bugs -- that's my excuse. Still at 25 reported unfixed bugs new in nightlies, mostly minor or in new features. But we also fixed 67 etheldreme bugs, so overall I think it's much less buggy!

Also spent a lot time on crash report processing and better reports.
I think I discovered the cause of the infamous MIDI loop crash bug that has plagued us for 14 years (it's a bug in SDL_mixer) and how to fix it. A large fraction of crash reports are caused by it.

Since my last post James and I:
-made 122 SVN commits
-fixed 10 reported bugs in nightlies
-fixed 7 reported bugs in etheldreme

New features:
-James added "Shrink to Center" dissolve animation
-"Useable in battle from spell lists" attack bit
-Added "last menu item", "menu item count", "visible menu item count" commands
-"get npc/hero sprite", wrappers around "get npc/hero slice"
-"suspend text box controls" is now a separate command, not an alias for "suspend box advance"
-Got gfx_sdl2 working on Mac, but no night build yet. This will become the default backend in future (on Linux and Windows too)
-You can import .wav as music (converts to .ogg). People complained.
-Buy menu shows amount of trade-in items you have, and prices can be formatted like $10 instead of 10 $ (two new global text strings)

In total since etheldreme:
-1438 SVN commits
-67 newly reported bugs in etheldreme fixed
-42 of 67 reported new-in-nightlies bugs fixed
Slime Knight

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 6:33 am
Great work! The OHR is like a medieval castle, that got it's wall freshly repaired.

TMC wrote:
Also spent a lot time on crash report processing and better reports.
I think I discovered the cause of the infamous MIDI loop crash bug that has plagued us for 14 years (it's a bug in SDL_mixer) and how to fix it. A large fraction of crash reports are caused by it.

Can you elaborate a little more about this MIDI crash? Unfortuneatly the fantastic MIDI songs had the disadvantage of sounding different on other computers, but also behaving differently on different computers! Are there any patterns in a song that causes a computer to fail?
Once, a one-note MIDI file (used as a sound effect) brought all Windows computers newer than Windows 98 to a halt. With the same game.exe and .rpg file.
Metal King Slime

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 8:52 am
Even well-maintained castles are obsolete...

The crash has a chance to happen whenever a MIDI file loops, so shorter sounds, especially those used as sound effects, are more likely to cause a crash. Also it seems more like to occur when something else interrupts the program at the same time, like minimising the window or attaching a debugger.
Also, separately, if a MIDI file contains no waits at all then it will loop immediately, consuming 100% CPU and causing the program to freeze for several seconds at a time.
It doesn't happen on Win 98? Are you talking about freezing or crashing?
Slime Knight

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 7:21 pm
As castles are obsolete, they still can be beautiful!

On Windows 98 the game didn't crash when this "bad" MIDI file was played, instead it was slowed down terribly. Left the map, another song was played, everything went back to normal. On a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 system, the game crashed at that point, when the bad MIDI was played.
I remember that it was a MIDI file that was meant to represent silence, so it only consisted out of pauses (no notes). After realising the impact it had on game.exe, a song with one note and a lot of pauses and a MIDI track volume at 0 did the same, without crashing.
Metal King Slime

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 12:37 am
Strange that a MIDI containing a wait also slows down the program!
Even if I fix the crash, I think I might need to make a separate fix to stop the freezing on waitless/very short MIDIs, like enforcing a minimum delay before looping.
Slime Knight

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 10:18 am
A lot of sound programs don't recognise the blank pauses after the last note of a MIDI file, which I think, the OHRRPGCE does too. The pauses are simply dropped. That can be avoided by placing a muted note behind everything, because notes aren't dropped.

That could also depend on the MIDI program, with which the MIDIs are created.

We have to be careful wih a delay, because for long MIDIs, that are meant to be a looped soundtrack for example, a delay behind the song would destroy the tact. But for let's say MIDIs shorter than 8 seconds it would be practicable. Or for MIDIs with a filesize of less than 1 KB.
Metal King Slime

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 1:25 pm
Ah, that makes sense.
I would probably only be adding an extra pause to MIDI tracks less than 0.5s long, or something like that.
I've noticed that some MIDI players like Timidity and ADLMIDI loop an extremely short MIDI after several seconds instead of immediately
Red Slime

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 11:24 pm
.5s is a very long time
Page «  1, 2, 3, 4