James's OHRRPGCE Thursdays!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Turns out I never sent that email about script commands to read/write files, so I've finished and sent it to the mailing list.

I think restricting to the .rpg folder and subfolders, plus letting the player browse for other files or enter a file using inputfilename (which allows selecting a directory and warns about overwriting) is the way to go.
(inputfilename ought to be prettified to a floating slice collection, but that can be done separately)

Regarding zone costs: my preference is currently to give each zone an array of costs rather than a single one. Or to not use zones, because zones are hard to edit and to visualise.

There are things more urgent than better scripting, but I don't think there's much that's more important.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Sunshine and Rain for today's session:

Rain:
* "Before I start, I'll just convert those timelapse screenshots I have been collecting into a video file"
* "Huh. The video quality isn't great. Maybe I should use OBS instead of mencoder"
* I start up OBS
* Long story short, it takes 30 minutes for my disk to stop thrashing and become responsive, even *after* hard killing the obs process

Sunshine:
* For some reason my Patreon followers didn't all abandon me when I forgot to post for 3 months. That is something ;)
* Reading about Chronoas's fantastic bug-reporting and TMC's swift and true bug-squashing really put a smile on my face :)

Next week... maybe I'll actually get some work done! :P
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

When I am no longer in 1000s of dollars of debt to my university and have a job, I will have to remember to support you on Patreon. I am confident it will be sooner than later!
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

It's no problem James. We just expect you to work 3 times as hard now!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No work done?! What about this minigame .gif? Work done last week and packaged for Patreon this week? I thought I was on the undelayed Patreon tier!

Frequently when Linux starts to swap because of a runaway process eating memory, I do "sudo swapoff -a && sudo swapon -a" to get it to move everything back out of swap and return to normal responsiveness.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Happy OHRRPGCE Thursday!

Sunshine:
* Drawing maptiles and sprites
* A simple footprints-in-sand script that only took me like 30 seconds to write. I wasn't expecting it to be hard, but I wasn't expecting it to be so easy either

Rain:
* I am not happy about those crosshatched shadows. They are efficient use of maptiles, but they look kinda crappy. I should probably just add another tileset just for the shadows, and actually make different versions of them for each thing they can be cast over (not like there are that many kinds that I will need anyway)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Happy OHRRPGCE Thursday!

Sunshine:
* Drew a monster sprite I am very happy with
* Discovered the unintended, but cool, consequences of maximizing custom, then using F9 to switch from zoom x2 to zoom x3 and then un-maximizing

Rain:
* Was too busy with other stuff, and didn't have as much time for OHRRPGCEing as I had hoped this evening.

Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Bob the Hamster wrote:* Discovered the unintended, but cool, consequences of maximizing custom, then using F9 to switch from zoom x2 to zoom x3 and then un-maximizing
This is making me trip the heck out. It's like using Custom while in World 4 in Super Mario 3
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Happy OHRRPGCE Thursday!

Sunshine
* Made good progress on packaging Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy for Android. Not done yet. this time it is going to take longer because I have to update the Android build system to target Android 8.0. Fortunately, TMC already figured out how, so I just have to set it up and test it.
* TMC Is Great!

Rain
* Not enough Thursdays this week
* Not enough hours in the one Thursday we did get.

Also, it is snowing like heck outside. It makes me feel giddy and happy, like Christmas is coming, or school was called off for the day.

I wonder how long I will have to live in Canada before that sense of wonder wears off, and I start politely commenting on how Slush Isn't Very Nice like a proper Torontoer.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Also, it is snowing like heck outside. It makes me feel giddy and happy, like Christmas is coming, or school was called off for the day.
Your departure from California was well timed. Our weather is currently "death by wildfire smog".
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Haha! Yes, that is what I want! :)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Opps! I totally forgot OHRRPGCE Thursday yesterday (it was a busy day)

Right now I am working a bit on trying to compile apk files for Android 8.0, using TMC's suggestions from our mailing list thread on the subject from September.

I got a copy of TMC's commandergenius ohrrpgce branch, with its fixes, and I was able to compile an Android build that didn't fail until almost the end, at the -build-setup stage, where it complained that it was unable to resolve project target 'android-27'

Which makes sense-- I haven't installed that in my SDK, which is still a really old version. I am still using r8 NDK.

I ran the "android" tool to update the SDK, but then refused all the updates they suggested for me, and instead *just* picked Android 26....

...and that progress meter is taking forever... maybe it will be done downloading and installing by next OHRRPGCE Thursday ;)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

A Thursday on a Saturday? Will wonders ever cease?

I got the Android-26 stuff installed in my existing SDK, and I was able to successfully build and test an apk on my android 8 phone. It seems okay? I am actually not 100% sure how to check if this worked or not... but hopefully soon I will have time to rebuild some of my own games for Android 8 and see if I can upload them to the Google Play store and settle the mystery once and for all :)

I do notice some differences.

* When I side-loaded the apk got a new security prompt, letting me know that google's app protection thing didn't recognize the developer of the apk (I assume that goes away when installed from Google Play)
* The icon is centered in a round bubble now
* During the splash screen, the letterbox/border around the splash screen is white instead of black
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Happy SunThursday!

Today I re-build the Android APK for Crypt of Baconthulhu, and tested uploading it to the Google Play store.

There was only one warning:
google play warning wrote:
Upgrade to new permission model

Warning:

Users that currently have APK with version code 26, which targets SDK 22 or lower, will be eligible to upgrade to this APK. However, once users upgrade to this APK, they will be unable to upgrade to APKs that target SDK 22 or lower.

Tip:

If this is an intended change, then ensure that all future updates for the users that upgrade to this APK target SDK 23 or higher.
This is totally harmless, it just means that I can't down-grade to an older SDK, which I don't need to do anyway. It has not changed the minimum android version that a person needs to play the game.

If I do re-builds of apks for anybody, you should expect similar warnings like this when you upload them to Google Play, and you don't need to worry about it. This specific warning is not a problem :)