Hi everyone! :)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Hi everyone! :)

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

I've only posted here a few times...but I've been actively using the OHRRPGCE for a few years. I haven't completed a solid project yet...but I've tried out quite a few ideas and learned a few things. I'm still working on my pixel art and I'm nowhere near fully understanding scripting...I haven't had a lot of time for a while...but I really want to be more active in the OHR community and participate in contests and things. :/ I always seem to find myself reading through old threads and wishing I were there for things like that.

The main thing that's stopping me from finishing my first "serious" project is that I'm trying to come up with a unique battle system. I like the default turn-based rpg battle system...but I don't think I currently have the knowledge or skill to make it interesting...and I know it's over-used...so I'm trying to do something different. I've also noted that I need to improve my UI design skills...

My current project, for learning/experimenting, is called "Vile Fate: A Journey Toward Extinction". I guess I just wanted to post to show that I haven't evaporated...I'm still here, lurking in the shadows. :P Hopefully I'll have something solid to upload someday.
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

One thing I started playing around with for my main project "Otherside: Into the Mirror" was a Diablo II/MMO inspired battle system where NPCs/Enemies on the map are affected by keypresses. I haven't perfected it yet, but it has potential.

These are the spells I've come up with so far:

Firestrike - "A terrible spell that scorches the earth surrounding foes."

Clockstop - "A spell that halts the flow of time."

OmegaForm - "A spell that transforms you into a nightmarish creature. All normal spells are unable to be used. A powerful physical attack becomes available instead."

Wellness - "A spell to heal your wounds."

Last edited by Xer0.the.Dark on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh hi, it's been a while, hasn't it? Last time you posted, you did post a simple UI prototype. So you're working on two projects?
This looks like a fun project; looks like it'll be a bit of work! Have you figured out how to keep it manageable? So it will have real time combat with melee and projectiles, or sticking with just spells?
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

TMC wrote:Oh hi, it's been a while, hasn't it? Last time you posted, you did post a simple UI prototype. So you're working on two projects?
This looks like a fun project; looks like it'll be a bit of work! Have you figured out how to keep it manageable? So it will have real time combat with melee and projectiles, or sticking with just spells?
Hey! It has been a while. I had to get a second job and things got kind of crazy. Oh, yeah! I forgot that I posted that! I've been practicing since then. Still not 100% happy with the UIs I've made so far. I'm technically working on...a lot of projects...lol. I have a few projects that are less than 50% complete. The only games/demos I've fully completed so far are:

- A one level Pac-Man clone, which turned out surprisingly well.

- A short animation I made mainly to test out cutscenes using sprites.

Everything else is sort of floating around in limbo...

I've had a lot of fun playing around with various ideas/projects! :D I even tried my hand at making a Pokemon clone...which will probably never be finished. What really got me into the OHRRPGCE and game design/development in general was an idea I've had for years. I've never been sure what format I wanted to release it in. Book? Animated movie/series? Game? Then I realized that making a game requires all of the creative abilities I've been wanting to develop: Art/animation, writing, music, etc.

Honestly, keeping things organized/managable has never been one of my strong points. I'm best at abstract creativity. I tend to use real life journals and Notepad for notes/structure, and have used a few online tools. Notebook.ai has a lot of potential. I want to add more than just spells, once I get the kinks worked out...it's going to have a class system with different types of attacks and everything. :) Mage is always my preferred play-style, so that's what I tend to start with.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, there's never enough free time, which is why you have to pick your battles!

Once you get the kinks worked out of the spells? Have you gotten far with getting them working?

Heh, this is thread 7777. Good luck?
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

TMC wrote:Yes, there's never enough free time, which is why you have to pick your battles!

Once you get the kinks worked out of the spells? Have you gotten far with getting them working?

Heh, this is thread 7777. Good luck?
Very true! I've noticed that the older I get, the faster time seems to go by...

Once I get the kinks worked out of everything. Those spells work pretty well so far, but they don't actually do what they're supposed to quite yet. Right now they attack the npcs, but the npcs have no actual health or anything. Nothing that can be depleted.

The "Firestrike" spell just targets all npcs on the map and "kills" them (destroy npc 1, 2, 3, 4). NPC 4 is special, though. When NPC 4 "dies", another version of it is "spawned" (using 'create npc'). It's mainly just set up that way for testing and as a starting point. I haven't gotten TOO serious about the script for this one yet, to be honest...but I'm going to be spending more time on it as soon as I can.

The "Omega Form" spell disables all other spells (including healing spells), making the player vulnerable but also a very powerful physical attacker for a limited time. The "Clockstop" spell just uses "suspend npcs" for a certain amount of time. That's all I've thought of so far, but will be planning out many more attacks and spells. I'm planning to have "specializations" for elements, weapons, etc. If it does end up going too far over my head, I can always save this idea for the sequel and go back to my original plan: Spells/attacks are used on the map to solve puzzles/access certain areas (depending on class/specialization) and are also, of course, usable in battle.

Basically, the only part I have planned out 100% is the story and characters. Gameplay and scripting mainly depends on what my limits are. I definitely want to put something online someday, though.

Oh, that's awesome! I hadn't realized that! Lol thanks. :)