"Powered by OHRRPGCE" screen before the title.

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Honestly, I get a shock every time I open Custom.

For comparison, here's the old logo. Also, the background is now drawn at 32 bit color depth rather than dithered.

I think panning looks OK only as long as it's fast enough so that it looks smooth rather than crawling pixel by pixel.

How about a small number of different backgrounds from which one is picked randomly? (Wrapping maps, either screenshots of the map editor as above, or just the map itself exported.) I wouldn't want to take them all from Vikings.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Both logos look really good. Ichiro's is cleaner and has a stronger aesthetic, but I really can't decide which is more fitting. The background scrolling looks beautiful either way. Choosing randomly from a set of backgrounds upon opening custom sounds good to me. They could be any combination of tilemaps, editor screenshots, etc.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh yeah, lots of Fnnrf's battle backdrops would work out great:

I just need to wrap them around if the window is wider than 320 pixels, or concatenate some of them.

And one of Fenrir's (which has the advantage of originally being 640x400):

Tilemaps could work too. And some of the graphical browsers, but I think screenshots of typical editors wouldn't look very good.

Last edited by TMC on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

The sprite editor screencap is a little busy, but it's appropriate. You could get away with it, considering it's an accurate depiction of the engine.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I was kinda thinking about that.

For a panning image, or any background image. it would be better to have a generic geometric pattern (e.g, fractals), rather than a screenshot.
That would help each user have a unique relationship with the engine, and see it as an impersonal, impartial kinda experience.

A good pattern is much more stimulating for creative endeavours, and the screenshots might be wildly inappropriate for the project or use of the engine.
It might be distracting or off-putting or something. This is intended for a user, not an audience.
Besides, screenshots are generally too busy..

Maybe we could submit designs as a community project? The option to turn it off or use your own design is also welcome.
I quite like scenes of nature, so I'm happy to see backdrops and game images. It's also a good way to advertise the assets that come with the engine!
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:55 am, edited 12 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I demand some kind of crazy screen-saver-esque pattern. Fractals sound good, or those crazy 3D Pipes windows used to have. Not that I'm gonna do any part of it, 'cause I'm retired AF fams, but #GetItDone
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

what could blow some minds are moving "NPCs" but i'm not sure how well the engine could handle it
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Fractals, eh? I have actually been considering that for a long time. But that doesn't seem terribly on-topic for an RPG engine.
Now, I could try randomly piecing together tiles to see what patterns emerge, but the results are likely to be bad, especially if the tiles need to be connected together correctly. On the other hand, I want to implement "autotiling" (automatic placement of connecting tiles) anyway...
Last edited by TMC on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I've finally collected all logos/splash screens and created a new wiki page for them:

Logos and Splash Screens

Did I miss any?

I also changed the logo on the wiki front page. (See if you can notice the difference...)
Last edited by TMC on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Gaplan are you going to put the dreaming Bob splashes on the wiki? Or would you be okay with that?

https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... sh_Screens

I'd like to be able to use the dreaming Bob image without any text as well (if possible).. Don't have any games to speak of, but I really love that image haha.

I never noticed but the Bob in the dream is kinda scary looking, looks likes hes gonna fly down and bite me! No Bahb, don't bited meh wen am asleeps!
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

SwordPlay wrote:Gaplan are you going to put the dreaming Bob splashes on the wiki? Or would you be okay with that?

https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... sh_Screens

I'd like to be able to use the dreaming Bob image without any text as well (if possible).. Don't have any games to speak of, but I really love that image haha.

I never noticed but the Bob in the dream is kinda scary looking, looks likes hes gonna fly down and bite me! No Bahb, don't bited meh wen am asleeps!
Yeah, sure, you can use it. :)

And don't worry, flying Bob isn't real, he won't hurt you. :v:
sorry for bad english :v:
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »