I am new and I am scared

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

CarbonatedSlime
Slime

I am new and I am scared

Post by CarbonatedSlime »

First, gotta say, love this site. Any place where :zombie: is an emoticon is okay by me! This place is fab.

Anyway, I've literally been lurking for....20 years? Well, I've been lurking Hamster Republic since then, and discovered this place on the way. I searched for "Hamster" on google, back when it was good, and Hamster Republic was one of the top five results. Unfortunately, I was a goof and thought that all this making games stuff was above me. Yeah, mistake.

Anyway, I'm coming back and actually trying to do this stuff now. I want to make a concept demo for a space game, but ah, I knows nothin'. Just wanted to say hi, and uh, anything you want to throw at me as far as stuff I should be aware of, yeah. I'm gonna go cruise the FAQ in a minute, though.

And James, I just wanna say I miss the old version of Wandering Hamster where you were playable. Just sayin'. :hurr:
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Hello, and welcome!

I am delighted to hear you have decided to make a game :)

The James sprites haven't been deleted from the game, who knows, maybe I'll make an Easter egg of them some day
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Welcome, welcome! Check out the Discord channel if you haven’t yet. Real-time conversation with other OHR devs is a nice thing.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, that's an impressive period of lurking :)

The FAQ: some of the questions and their answers might be quite out of date without anyone having noticed. I'm sure it's still educational though - if something worked as a way to achieve something (like make a treasure chest) 20 years ago, it will work today. The HOWTO is a better place to learn the basics, even though it is really out of date too...
So, feel free to ask heaps of questions here instead, and hopefully some answers will get copied to the wiki.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

don't be scared

Post by SwordPlay »

Hi Carbonated Slime !
It's nice at Slime Salad, don't worry. Peeps are very helpful around here.
You'll have a great time as long as you obey the laws of the Official Hamster Republic.
And if not... *brandishes slime*
I know my way around a slime, and I'm not afraid to use it.
But that same slime can be used to help you once you learn about it.
And you can learn about all the slime at the wiki, or asking on the forums.
We are happy to help in any way that we can.
What are the laws of the OHR?
Don't be rude to others seems to be the main one you should be aware of.
I'm sure you won't have any problem though.~
Peace!
Last edited by SwordPlay on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

THIS IS MY FAVORITE THREAD RIGHT NOW.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Re: don't be scared

Post by Spoonweaver »

SwordPlay wrote: Don't be rude to others seems to be the main one you should be aware of.
!
Actually the only OHR "law" I've come across is don't make 25+ accounts on slimesalad in order to control the rankings of games.
And then do it again after being warned not to do that.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It is worse to create 25 accounts to post Korean spam.
CarbonatedSlime
Slime

I will not create multiple accounts. Maybe. :)

Anyway, I'm kinda intimidated by all of this. At the age I'm at (which I shall allow you to assume by the 20 years lurking comment) I should really know better by now and be good enough to use my experience for good things. Turns out I'm only really experienced in retail and writing. And despair, but that's not terribly useful on a daily basis.

It also turns out that I like making games better than actually playing them. Dunno why, it just seems that behind the scenes stuff is fascinating.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I feel like both writing and despair are pretty useful game-making skills

Can you tell us any more about your idea for the space game?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Use what you know, make a game about the monsters of retail
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

The Wobbler wrote:Use what you know, make a game about the monsters of retail
Honestly, though. Having a backbone of familiarity in the work that you do gives you something to hold onto when other hurdles become overwhelming or confusing. Things don't have to be fantastic to be worth experiencing.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Slice of life books and movies and even sitcoms can be enthralling, if well written (normally implying written from clear experience). Realistic interactions between people can be as or more interesting than the typical high-fantasy RPG writing. And yet, the attempt to put everyday interactions between the boy-hero and his mum into such a fantasy game almost always ends up awkward.
CarbonatedSlime
Slime

Bob the Hamster wrote:I feel like both writing and despair are pretty useful game-making skills

Can you tell us any more about your idea for the space game?
Eh, I've gotten into the habit of not telling ideas for my stories and such. Had some bad experiences with that.

Eh...buildin' that trust, though.

The game itself is probably not all that original for OHRRPGCE. What I want to do is create a concept demo for a game in a more complex engine, and also learn game design at the same time. At the end, it will be sort of a trading game, but one where you as a player could make decisions like being a pirate or mercenary. You could play as someone intent on ruining other factions' good times, being an upright mercenary to save everyone, or just get greedy and get all the money you can, whether it hurts or helps anyone else.

...My ideas are far more complex than my knowledge, at this point.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

TheLordThyGod wrote:Welcome, welcome! Check out the Discord channel if you haven’t yet. Real-time conversation with other OHR devs is a nice thing.
Discord, you say? I happen to have such an application, and IRC has become a large hassle to get running stably for me recently. I was thinking of asking in IRC if anyone had a Discord server LOL
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!