CAMPAIGN: Normin's Adventure (The Unburning) (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

CAMPAIGN: Normin's Adventure (The Unburning) (D&D5e)

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Big Hat Normin is in the downstairs room of the headquarters of the Guild of Arcane Firefighters.

He has in his hand a note scrawled on a napkin.

The note was given to him by fellow firefighter Ebald, along with a tale about how a former co-worker (Old George) had mysteriously given it to him that morning before running out of the restaurant.

It is late afternoon. The sun isn't quite ready to set.

There is a bit of noise and bustle in the fire station, as other firefighters busy themselves.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon May 07, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin decides that, of course, he should head to the school to see if he can procure a vial of acid for further study. He begins to have ideas in his mind about how this may play out, it may lead to him learning about a supplier he can buy from and investigate instead if all goes well.

He recalls a strange substance from the fire that had happened the other day so in the interest in preventing more fires it is prudent to investigate further. He decides to head out to begin carrying out this task.
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Thu May 10, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The University of Bakak is in the Temple hill district, but it does not take long to walk there. This is not Normin's first visit there today.

The slowly setting sun shines at a steep angle, covering most of the streets in long shadows from the buildings.

The Temple Hill district is busy, especially near the university. Many students are enjoying the last bits of sun before heading to evening classes.

The restaurants of the district are readying for the evening meal rush, with Cooks' Guild porters carrying covered baskets in from the Smokefields.

A small marching band is practicing on the gravel garden in the middle of the university square, filling the air with their brassy music.

Normin can see the University Administration building where he met with Assistant Headmaster <a href="https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... 06">Pugeot Gilgamesh</a> earlier in the day.

He can see the Applied Magic building where he met with Dean <a href="https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... >Intensity Brown</a>

On the steps of one of the other lecture hall buildings, Normin recognizes one of the students who helped <a href="https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... Instructor Vulgate</a> install the intrusion alarm enchantment in the headquarters.

Another building is obviously the Library. It has big decorative stone columns, and the front is graced with the statue of some goddess holding a stack of books.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

He figures his best bet might be to speak with Dean Gilgamesh to inquire about deals that the school had partaken in to acquire supplies, though the fellow had not been the most friendly with him in the past.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The receptionist in the Administration building recognizes Normin and waves him in. "He's in his office, Just knock."

The Door to the Assistant Headmaster's office is closed. A gleaming polished brass name-plate is on the door that says "Pugeot Gilgamesh"

A low gentle hum noise is coming from inside the room.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

He knocks, "Might I bother you again for just a mere moment, hrmhm?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The humming stops.

Normin can hear the sound of a drawer sliding shut.

"Just a moment!"

Some footsteps, something opening, closing, keys clacking, more footsteps, and then the sound of a latch being pulled before the door opens and Pugeot Gilgamesh peers out.

"Oh! It's you!" He says, in a more polite tone than last time. "Was the Dean of Applied Magic able to help you with your issue?"
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Oh, yes! Quite indeed. I am simply here to inquire about obtaining a small vial of acid. Oh, not to worry I can also ask about directions to where the school acquires any for any future research I may do. Transmutation is a bit of a hobby of mine, of course. Hmmhmm."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

A look of annoyance crosses Gilgamesh's face, but it almost immediately vanishes behind a polite smile.

"I believe all hazardous reagents and ingredients are stored in the Applied Magic Laboratory on the satellite campus in the Smokefields" he says cheerily. "Why don't you ask at the enrollment desk downstairs? They also handle the campus tours for prospective students, so they know where absolutely everything is."

He starts to close the door half-way. "Is there anything else?"
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Well surely I shouldn't just walk in and take a vial. Who should I ask for permission to see about obtaining a sample before I head out to the desk?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Gilgamesh's upper lip twitches. He seems to be having a harder time containing his annoyance. He closes the door another few inches.

"You would have to enroll, and reagents are included with the price of tuition, if they are listed on your course syllabus." he says with forced politeness. "Otherwise you are better off just buying your own acid in the Marketday district."

He closes the door a few more inches, and is now just peering out through a crack.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Ah, I take it that is where the school gets their own supply I presume? I imagine it must be bought in bulk, hrmhmm.."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"I haven't a clue. I'm the Assistant Headmaster, not the Bursar." says Gilgamesh. He closes the door the rest of the way and Normin can hear a latch slide closed.

"Have a good day sir!" says Gilgamesh's muffled voice through the door.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

It is not long after the door is shut on him that Norman muses, "A Monday brings many to be accursed it seems, hmhmhm."

He doesn't remember the weekday.

He decides to head out and seek out the shop that was pointed out to him. He does not expect that he'll find anything more than mere regular acid, but perhaps he may find hints of where he should go next.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

DM wrote:I can't remember if we we ever established the day if the week. I'm going to go ahead and say that it is Friday night. Normin can remember that or not as you please.

Is he heading to the satellite campus in the Smokefields? Or heading to find a reagent retailer in Marketday?