Vehicles & Walls

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Vehicles & Walls

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Can anyone clarify the way vehicles and walls relate to each other? I was left confused by the wiki and F1 menu on this subject.

I’m trying to make a boat that will travel on water but not land, while insuring the PC can walk on land but not water.

I do not understand which tiles should be walls, nor the significance of wall types A & B.

Thanks for any wisdom.

Edit:
I used Ctrl + Arrow keys to outline my continent, then used Ctrl + B on the tiles where I want the boat to dock. This seems to be working, but I have run into another issue.

When I dock the boat on the world map, pass through a door to another map, and then return to the world map, the boat has automatically returned to its origin. Is there a way to insure against this, so that the player does not become marooned on an island with no means of escape?

Edit edit:
Feenick directed me to this article. My question may be answered (I'm still working on it), but I still appreciate any additional wisdom on the subject of vehicles.

Edit edit edit:
See attached image for error.
Attachments
vehicle.bmp
vehicle.bmp (2.07 MiB) Viewed 960 times
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Mon May 07, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Vehicles:

Mark all the water with "B"

Only put walls on the coastlines (don't fill the water in solid with walls)

Use the default boat settings.

Don't mess with any of the vehicle wall override settings. Most of them are useless, most of them don't work right, and none of them are needed for what you are trying to do.

Oops! I re-read your first edit, and see that you already got that part. Good! ;)

The error message in your screenshot happens because "dismount vehicle" is a built-in command name, so you can't use it for a script name. I suggest renaming the script to something like "on dismount vehicle" or "dismount vehicle action"
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Vehicles:

Mark all the water with "B"

Only put walls on the coastlines (don't fill the water in solid with walls)

Use the default boat settings.

Don't mess with any of the vehicle wall override settings. Most of them are useless, most of them don't work right, and none of them are needed for what you are trying to do.

Oops! I re-read your first edit, and see that you already got that part. Good! ;)

The error message in your screenshot happens because "dismount vehicle" is a built-in command name, so you can't use it for a script name. I suggest renaming the script to something like "on dismount vehicle" or "dismount vehicle action"
Thanks a ton!!!
...spake The Lord Thy God.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah, the script in that article used a bad script name; I fixed it.

Tip: the default vehicles use 'A' for airships and 'B' for boats, but those two bits don't have to be used that way.