Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I plan on entering it. It fits the new fangled rules as far as I can tell.

It's for sure a heart ohr game. I mean, I got the npcs.
Attachments
Tim-Tim20000.bmp
Tim-Tim20000.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue May 29, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, well a port is way bigger than two afternoon's work, but I can take your request as "spend two afternoons working towards a UWP/XBox One port" if you wish. I should make some progress.

Edit: or a web port?
Last edited by TMC on Tue May 29, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I've retroactively disqualified myself from the One Room Contest by increasing the map size from 50x50 to 70x70 tiles, which is just under double the amount of tiles. Wanted more breathing room for game objectives, treasure nooks, and such.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Hinterlands: Pilgrimage
Attachments
Pilgrimage0047.gif
Pilgrimage0047.gif (4.43 MiB) Viewed 5790 times
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

I have screenshots, I will post them when I have access to my PC.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

2 afternoons spent on ports is acceptable.
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Let's go

Post by Mammothstuds »

Enter me in with "Hanu in Hell", por favor :)
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Spoonweaver wrote:I plan on entering it. It fits the new fangled rules as far as I can tell.

It's for sure a heart ohr game. I mean, I got the npcs.
TMC wrote:Also, Spoonweaver is entering with Tim-Tim? Will Pepsi Ranger allow it?
Sigh, there's always one that challenges the rules.

I'd actually love for Tim-Tim to make the cut. My verdict is that it can enter if it really does fit the new rules. If there's stat and level progression, and if there's some element of story (I know that's not an explicit rule, but that's something we all kind of hope for when we play an RPG of any kind, so I'd call it implicit), then it should satisfy the 2018 requirements. I don't have enough info that convinces me that it's eligible, though. Maybe?

As usual, I leave it up to the community to cast the final vote on that.

Spoon, what I would ask is that you let us know why it qualifies. Having NPCs, while a hilarious reason, may not be enough of a reason. But, even if you don't break it down for us, you can still try to enter it and we'll decide then if it's eligible. Our outliers tend to go that way anyway.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

So... my original HotOHR idea fell in the "lost interest (at least for now)" pile. Fortunately, around the same time I regained interest in another project that I had started on earlier in the year but not gotten much done with yet. It's using my 8-bit graphics set, with some modifications of course, and is based pretty closely on another project I had started on in the past few years but never got much done with it (you may notice that the hero's walkabout is not one of the ones from the 8-bit graphics set -- same goes for every other party member, and probably a few important NPCs here and there.)

Now I'm finally getting somewhere with it -- one town, one dungeon, and one world-map segment are pretty much done! So I guess this is my official "yep, I'm entering a game" post.

Image Image Image

I don't have a title for this project just yet (that's usually one of the last things I come up with it, it seems) but I do have a whole lot of ideas for where it's going to go. Originally there weren't going to be any world maps in this game, but I decided to change things around from my original idea -- instead of one big "world map" it's split up into smaller regional maps, and the "map" command (once I script it...) will let you quickly backtrack to any place you've already visited in addition to showing you the entire map.

Also, there's a custom levelup system. What stats increase (and how much) are based on what you actually use -- survive after taking a lot of damage, and you get more HP. Spend a lot of MP and you'll get more. Use the Defend command a lot and your Defense will go up, especially if you've equipped a shield. Run away a lot and your Speed will go up (but it's turn-based, so that's not completely broken. XD)

This levelup screen came after I was testing out the magic learning system, which is also not the built-in one -- use Emanon's basic Beam spell enough (casting it in 10 battles will do, though you can also pay for lessons at the local church if you want to speed up the process) and he'll learn Seeker, which does a bit more damage and never misses.

The formulas could definitely use some further tweaking -- there needs to be something preventing people from just grinding their stats up into insanity by fighting weak enemies for hours, for one thing. Right now fighting a lot of weak enemies will lead to bigger gains than fighting a few stronger enemies, which is definitely a bit backwards. I know I'm already planning on having running away only increase Speed, so that you won't be able to cheat the system by getting your HP or MP really low and then running away from enemies that are no threat. Maybe the after-battle script that counts up stat points can also check your level and decide, based on the current map or zone, "nah, you aren't getting more than 1 attack point no matter how many 4 HP bugs you slash." But for now, they work. I'll worry more about rebalancing this stuff when I get the game to a point where you can actually have more than one party member.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I present my argument in screenshot form.
Attachments
Level progression in the form of increased mana and health!
Level progression in the form of increased mana and health!
level progression.png (4.14 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
Shops!
Shops!
shop.png (17 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
A Zelda 2 Clone!?
A Zelda 2 Clone!?
zelda 2 clone.bmp (70.97 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I've just wrapped up a month travelling in europe, hence no update in a while.
Attachments
new 320x200 image frame.png
new 320x200 image frame.png (24.83 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
vvight.wordpress.com
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Here are some screenshots from the latest commit.
Attachments
Meet the beetles.
Meet the beetles.
darkplanet0024.png (10.09 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Portraits created using the latest 3D technology.
Portraits created using the latest 3D technology.
darkplanet0025.png (17.29 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

Everyone posted so much screenshots lately, so i'll post as well. :kamina: And agian, sign me in with Dreamwalkers, if you have'nt already.
Attachments
check out my title screen, later main characters will stand on that roof.
check out my title screen, later main characters will stand on that roof.
NOmenuNO.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
Last edited by Gaplan on Wed May 30, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorry for bad english :v:
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Very nice looking, the composition is great.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, people are coming out of the woodwork with games! At least six people haven't given me a feature request yet.

Spoonweaver: Hey, good enough for me. And personally I think that increasing hero stats and abilities with items bought or found, or through story events, is way more fun and meaningful than following a stat curve through levelups anyway.

guo: Oh, nice! Both the travelling and the update.

Fnrrf: Wow, you sure juggle a lot of games. Looks like it'll be a very solid RPG. But how are you going to track damage taken, MP used, skills used, etc? Setting tags seems pretty crude since they can only count once per battle. With item costs which count these things? That doesn't seems practical for damage though... but I guess you could count uses of healing items, and final HP after the battle, instead. Maybe you should request a feature! (Pepsi wanted that anyway...)

Pepsi: So... are you entering?

Gaplan: Yes, that's an awesome title screen! Should I guess from the name that this isn't a typical battle-heavy RPG?