Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Is that an official extension of the deadline until Monday?
The deadline has always been Monday (December 17, 6am EST, to be specific), and that's not changing. Your game should still be uploaded by then. However, nobody's going to stop you from updating your game with a few fixes or improvements between then and the time I post the list, the latter of which won't likely happen before Tuesday.

Let's say this: Post your game by Monday, but if you upload a fix or two in the days to follow (especially if players are finding anything game-breaking), I'll still count it as a valid entry. In fact, we'll say Friday next week should be the cutoff for all game-breaking bug-fixes, especially those that players find and complain about, and at that point I'll be opening the window for votes.

Hope that's helpful.

Note: I will still likely post the list on Tuesday, and if your game's not on the list, then your game's not entered. But, Friday will give you three additional days to fix any bug that players find before voting opens. Once voting begins, players will be encouraged to vote on whichever version is the most recent. So, do with that what you want.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Foxley wrote:But anyways, here are some south-facing walkabouts I was working on about a month ago.
I see you have the obligatory duck, and so much more!
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

The Wobbler wrote:
Foxley wrote:But anyways, here are some south-facing walkabouts I was working on about a month ago. Haven't drawn anything that isn't pixel art in over 3 months and I kind of hate it.

I love these guys
I also love them
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Just a side note regarding the game prize I'm offering the winner (and possibly second and third place winners if funds are in my favor during 2019):

The developers of Kenshi have updated their free demo to the latest version (1.0.7). This would be a good time to test it out, see if it runs on your computer, and see if you understand how to play the game.

Pro Tip: It's a hard game, and it doesn't hold your hand (much like my own Entrepreneur: The Beginning). It will give you pop-ups to give you some important information whenever an event occurs (for example, if your character gets knocked out for the first time, a tool tip may appear telling you what you can expect from the results of it), so it may hold the fingertips a bit, but it won't give you much direction beyond commenting on things that already happen and how to deal with it. Regarding story, you make your own. It's pure sandbox. I have nearly 600 hours into it, and there is still so much I haven't done or seen in the game. I've also started new games about five or six times since I first got it in June 2014.

I don't know how different the demo is from the main game, but hopefully it will give you a fair idea about what you can experience, as well as identifying any technical issues that may arise from playing it on a slow computer.

If any of you play it, let me know what you think. More importantly, let me know if you can't play it, especially if you're in the top three of contest winners.

EDIT: Here's a good review of the game.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Here is my submission. It may receive minor tweaks/fixes over the next few days, but no major updates until 2019.

Hinterlands: Pilgrimage (alpha)
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Here's my submission... not really confident about it. https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=134235
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I updated Trytuges while half-asleep to add monsters to the ocean and the exterior of Skull-Shaped Island. Neither flood of the dungeon itself has random battles, treasure, or minibosses and I still haven't written up any scripts for the game yet (like the one to change the overworld music to Blow the Man Down while sailing the Magellanium). Might do that after I wake up or this might be the final update. Hard to say; was a long day at work.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Magellanium is perfect.
vvight.wordpress.com
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Thanks for the entries so far.

For those of you who have submitted games or are in the process of submitting games, don't forget to claim your entry prizes (from me, at any rate):

Free e-copies of Years 1 and 2 of my A Modern-day Fantasy Annual Series, based on characters and events from The Adventures of Powerstick Man universe (a $16 value).

Cannonball City: A Modern-day Fantasy, Year One
Enter Code at Checkout: QQ64Y

Superheroes Anonymous: A Modern-day Fantasy, Year Two
Enter Code at Checkout: KY26H

Please note that these coupons expire on December 31, 2018, so use them soon.

If you see other books by me that you want, let me know, and I'll PM you a coupon for that, too.

Smashwords allows you to download any filetype that's compatible with your respective reader, including EPUBs (for Android), MOBIs (for Kindle), and PDF (for PC). Let me know if you have any trouble getting the book to work.

Good luck, everyone.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Just updated to fix scroll items and tidy up battle menus.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Another update:
Brigands battle fixed; bestiary & pets clarified, shrines added to Hive.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

UPDATE 2018.12.16 - Text box updated to clarify objective.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

UPDATE 2018.12.16 - Fixed bug introduced in first update, some text boxes and menu captions updated for clarity.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

UPDATE 2018.12.16 - Closed plot holes identified by testers.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Just a reminder that you've got about four hours left to get something online to count for this year's Heart of the OHR. I won't be checking in four hours, though, as I will be asleep, so if you're a few hours late, I won't notice.

Also, I'm allowing bugfixes until this weekend, so feel free to post updates between now and then if you need to. I originally said to have everything ready by Friday, but that means I won't check until Saturday, and I'm supposed to be meeting with some friends on Saturday, so I may not check until Saturday night. At any rate, be ready for voting by next Sunday, regardless of your time zone. Voting begins when I post the official list.

If you've released a game for this contest, I'll find it, but if you want to be nice to me, you can post links to your entries here in this thread. That'll also help those who update the wiki to update the wiki.

Thanks, and good luck. I'll be starting the YouTube videos shortly after the list goes live.

Don't forget to get your free e-books, too (check a few posts above this one for that info). Remember, reading makes you smarter (according to smart people), so become smarter today.