Post by woahpotato »

meat some friends of mine
Attachments
meat0005.gif
meat0005.gif (321.01 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

So after much ado I think the my feature request is going to be "An option for longer item descriptions"

I'm not asking for the ability to make some long Dark Souls-esque descriptions, but I'd like to at least have a few extra lines.
Working as intended!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sure. I guess the main pane of Items menu will have to resize whenever a long item description is displayed. Should be able to do that with a panel slice.

Oh, and progress report on feature requests:
No requests finished yet. Sorry.
I expect to start ploughing through them in the next week or two. I'm working on finally finishing Fufluns. Well... actually if you were to pick through what I've been working on, you'd probably find that only 5% of it is stuff holding up Fufluns.
On the bright side, I have been doing lots of work on the OHRRPGCE lately - 199 SVN commits in the last month! I should post more updates on the forums.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Got something playable wrapped up last night. Ain't putting it up here until I figure out what I'm doing for music, though, so that may be a while.
[s]I've thrown it onto my dropboxfor the time being, though.[/s] Actually here's [game]False Skies[/game] on SS, as that link broke.

There's a few other mechanical/UI-related things I'm slowly going to work through as I also do content-related things (new equipment/shop screens, such that they're better-suited to some systems I've put in), but as I'm not sure if I'll actually get around to them by the deadline it's not worth holding up stuff for them when the default systems are usable.
Attachments
Do what Mary says.
Do what Mary says.
falsesky0000.png (6.7 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
Last edited by Feenicks on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I've started playing Falsesky, and going through the initiation cave. I'll say it again, the graphics and scripting are wonderful, and I really like the writing and what I see so far of the world/backstory (which is fairly minimal, actually). It's nice to see the introductory stuff doesn't drag on with explanations of mechanics and comparisons of weapons; you know how not to bore. I'm listening to AHX and 8bitpeoples albums (numerous artists; they're all suitable and great).

I only have a healer and a recon in my party, and I'm finding it pretty easy (because of the healer). It wasn't clear whether I should have four, and didn't seem to be strongly encouraged, so I didn't grab them. Is this a case of a smaller party being just as viable, because you level up more quickly, or am I going to die?
Seems like a huge stat increase from level 1 to 2, and not much from 2 to 3. Is this a custom stat increase script?

Character creation:
The number of stars next to the stats seems to be totally wrong, and not matching their actual stats or stat advancement ratings once created. Eg. Recon claims to have high SPD but the stars don't show it. I'm guessing this is the bug you mentioned finding already.

Was it intentional that one of the four NPCs behind the desk two floors down from the start doesn't use Walk in Place? There are also other such NPCs throughout the game.
Oh, and I noticed you're using a custom walk-in-place animation. Very nice.
I also notice that I should adjust the time delays for 'Wander' NPCs at higher framerates, they twitch a lot when in a tight passage.

It would be nice if you could jump directly between the second status pages of heroes with left/right for comparison purposes. Those keys take you to the first page instead.

I notice the menu item colors in the Sell menu, Equip menu and in-battle Items menu are pretty poor. Is this something that needs fixing by either adding new UI color options, or changing which ones are used in those menus? I'm surprised that the colors differ in Items and in Sell, actually. That's probably a bug.

Blank textbox from the springs NPC in the initial town - unfinished, I assume?

It's too bad that I didn't find any bookshelves that actually have readable books until in the initiation building, at which point I might have given up examining shelves. While I guess that would be an obvious place to find useful books, it does make them easier to overlook.

The Fundamentals of Attacks vol 1 book has a mistake: "ethereal attacks go off SKL ... there are some exceptions to this [guns, for instance, go off SKL]"
What should this say?

Typo: 'ethereral'

"Greatswords... will slow down severely" - should that be "slow you down"?

I found a weird bug. If you open the main menu, activate 'Quit Game' and pick No, then you go back to the main menu but Quit Game can't be activated again. And if you do pick Yes to quit, it doesn't actulaly quit until you exit the main menu yourself.

I'm a little confused by how Survey works. Does it have a random chain chance to a normal attack? Doesn't seem to happen all the time. But it displays the stat it read by displaying +X above the hero? While an instant later the damage from a regular attack is displayed above the target? That's confusing.
I guess what would be really nice here would be the ability to embed damage in attack captions.

And also, like always, OHR battles have problems with the delays between attacks and especially the attack captions being way too short. Although it's a good thing that battle rounds go quickly, because there are really few options for what to do (I was disappointed to still only have 1 skill per hero by level 3), so you do make decisions very quickly.

Also, isn't Patch Up (Healer special) meant to heal a minimum of 20? How do you implement "10% or a minimum of 20" anyway? Well I'm seeing it heal a bit less than 20.
And, the Healer's Pana skill (at this level) is currently redundant to Patch Up, except that can be used out of battle.

That's odd, I can't talk to the blue NPC behind the table at the entrance to the cave. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I thought I could before I saved and loaded the game.

Although the tiles are very nice, they're few, and the caves are pretty barren, really. Something like unique patterns of moss or pebbles on the floor could at least make different areas look different, but it feels like you're intentionally keeping it minimal.

It's nice to hear you're planning custom shops and equip menus, for the custom equip penalties system. I mean, the stats aren't even listed in the same order in Status and Equip, so it's hard to see what the penalties are.
...Hmmm, come to think of it, the proposal I made for a better equipment system would cover what your equip system does, however it would require you to manually input 5 different sets of stat bonuses for each piece of equipment (A,B,C,D,E proficiencies) while you surely do the penalties programmatically.

So this +4SDF Empty shield doesn't give any penalties when equipped on a hero with proficiency C for that. Is it just becasue +4 isn't large enough to induce a penalty?

What on earth are alpha, beta, v (is that a gamma?) and the different shield types anyway?
Attachments
Is this a review? Maybe it needs a screenshot!
Is this a review? Maybe it needs a screenshot!
falsesky0002.png (5.91 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
Last edited by TMC on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Ah, good, someone actually tried it.

Responding to your points:
  • Your healer/recon party might? run into some problems come the actual bosses, depending on how much damage that sort of party can put out. A four-person party will probably be a bit better once you're past the easier areas that the demo covers.
    re; stats: I'm using the same mostly-linear stat progression Laby... had, which does mean that the level 1 -> 2 growth is the most substantial of the lot. I personally find it preferable to the typical OHR experience of most of those max stats being completely out of reach.
    re; stat display: it seems I mucked up the order of SPD and RCV on the character creation screens. I went and flipped them around, so now they should display correctly.
    Those various bugs/typos: unintentional, and hopefully fixed now. The gun thing [which is largely irrelevant to the demo, as all the gun shipments were stolen away for plot reasons], is a bit imprecise [they do physical damage but go off SKL].
    The bookshelf thing is mostly just laziness on my end; I'll probably try and throw a few more actual text onto bookshelves for a later demo/the final game.
    re; Survey: it's a weaker and more random version of the stat-stealing skills Ocypete had in Winged Realm, where it steals a stat and gives a portion of it to you. Not sure why it's displaying anything above the enemy after giving it to you, though, as it's not chaining to anything after that.
    re; skill count: Recon and Healer have the smallest skill lists out of all the (4+4) starting classes; witches and sorcerers are the ones with the larger skill lists.
    re; healing: Patch Up is my attempt at getting past the issue of early game healers being completely useless once they've run out of spells to use. Pana gets less redundant once 20HP stops being a lot. [The check's done through attack chains, btw]
    The kinda barren look of the caves is intentional, yeah. Might have to do some small sub-tile variations if it's an issue, though.
    re; stat penalties: they're probably not as well-explained as they should be if you're getting confused, but stat penalties only take effect once you get into battle. On one hand, I should probably show the stat changes that happen due to the proficiency levels, but on the other hand that'd make stuff like throwing in an Excalipoor equivalent more difficult to pull off. I'll think about it.
    The various armors [alpha/beta/gamma, and the full/empty shields]... they're all intended to be future-ish armors that'd mesh well with the outfits your party members have [...bodysuits, though those don't look that different to regular armor with 20x20 sprites]. Think of the difference between armor plating and a mage robe, but transfer that to a setting where the equivalent of a fire spell is done via flamethrower.
Anyway, I'm still currently debating on whether or not to do a smallish halloween game [s]so I can justify asking for another feature[/s]. Watch this space.
Attachments
There, that should make all the stats line up the same everywhere.
There, that should make all the stats line up the same everywhere.
falsesky0002.png (7.82 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Been quiet recently, but Sword and I are still working on Restoration of the K'ab.

I just got generated tree placement working. Each time you enter a new map, the tilemap itself will be pulled from a pre-designed map, but the NPCs and Trees are mostly randomly placed.

In order to place the Trees in a manner that won't block critical paths or cover other things, the tree placement script uses a zonemap. Each x,y coordinate within the trees zone is stored in a container slice's x,y and attached to a parent slice. Then to place trees, a random child is chosen from the parent, its x,y coords are used to place the tree NPC, then the child slice is freed to prevent placing multiple trees on the same spot.

Here's the script for anyone that's interested. I wasn't sure at first how to get a random x,y spot in a zonemap, but this worked remarkably well:

Code: Select all

script, placeTrees, begin
    variable(x, y, min, max, sl, sli, numTrees, tree, i)

# Attach zone locations to this slice,
    # then choose a random one to place trees. 
    # Remove child after placing tree
    sl := createContainer(0,0)

# NOTE: Trees zone is ID 2

# Check each maptile for zone:Trees
    for(x, 0, mapWidth--1) do(
        for(y, 0, mapHeight--1) do(
            if(readZone(2,x,y)) then(
                # Add coordinates to slice
                sli := createContainer(0,0)
                setParent(sli, sl)
                setSliceX(sli, x)
                setSliceY(sli, y)
            )
        )
    )

# Choose random child and get its coords
    min := getZoneExtra(2, extra0)
    max := getZoneExtra(2, extra1)
    numTrees := random(min,max)

# Create the NPCs that are the trees
    for(i, 0, numTrees--1) do(
        sli := sliceChild(sl,random(0,childCount(sl)--1))
        x := sliceX(sli)
        y := sliceY(sli)

tree := createNpc(20, x, y)
        setNpcDirection(tree, random(0,3))
        setNpcFrame(tree, random(0,1))
        # We've already placed a tree here.
        # Free the slice to make sure the coords aren't repeated
        freeSlice(sli)
    )
end
Attachments
Hideous but plentiful trees!
Hideous but plentiful trees!
partner0007.gif (950.49 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
zone configuration: where the trees might go
zone configuration: where the trees might go
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 9.55.55 PM.png (39.15 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I have fallen WAY behind in Tim-Tim2 development.
Mostly due to having another child and a little because i worked on another mini game for Axe Cop RPG.
Anyways, after recalculating how much work i have left and how long it normally takes, I don't see myself finishing on time for the contest.
I'd rather not rush anything, so I'm basically dropping out.
..and after all that stuff about being able to enter my game too! :V
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Spoonweaver wrote:..and after all that stuff about being able to enter my game too! V
It wouldn't be Heart of the OHR if we didn't have at least one debate about the appropriateness of at least one game entry for the contest. ;)

I'm sure the game will be great whenever it is finished. Your GIF samples are impressive.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

That's a shame, Spoonweaver, but congratulations on the little one. Looking forward to TimTim2, whenever it's ready.
vvight.wordpress.com
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Just a quick reminder that we have a month left, plus a couple of weeks for suggested bugfixing. If you're working on any major feature, you may want to start winding it down. Six weeks doesn't take long to come and go, so I hope you all are still working but also planning on how to tie off loose threads.
thecrimsondm
Slime

Post by thecrimsondm »

Heh I think I might have gotten wrapped up in my youtube channel and my writing in all honesty. School also came and wrecked any semblance of a schedule as well. Still I will have a playable thing with at the very least a half hour worth of story progress by the end of the month. Heck I might even have that sooner than i thought if I really focus.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Well... this is extremely tough (and painful... and humiliating... etc.,) to admit...
but... for various reasons*, I am sorry to announce; It's not planned to release the planned HOTOHR project
"Restoration of the K'ab", as things currently stand.

* reasons being namely;
- the crushing inexorable advance of time
- the certain promise of our mortality
- the slowly slipping grip of our vanishing sanity
- .. there's more stuff but I got tired and/or forgot...
- ooh, that's another reason, too tired..

Much love to all ma peeps still going through that stuff... (I meant HOTOHR, but life too, I guess.)
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:49 am, edited 16 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
thecrimsondm
Slime

Post by thecrimsondm »

So in the past couple days I spent reworking some of the concepts of the game I'm working on, (Working Title is crap) and have managed to throw in the main 'shape' of the way the story will unfold.
Including

* secret areas revealing hidden lore
* each of the 'catchable' monsters has four attacks gained at levels, 0, 3, 6, and 10.
* each monster in the game so far has their own unique ultimate attack.
* Level cap is ten with a focus less on leveling up to get stronger and instead on using equipment.
* side quests to help the player become friends with and learn more about the villages residents.
* began work on super rare aka legendary monsters. There will be 2 in the final product.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to remind you all that one of the winning prizes is a game from my list of favorites called Kenshi. This week, the developers announced the coming of 1.0 for December 6th and released a trailer to show it off. I thought I'd post the 1.0 trailer so you can see for yourself how cool it is:

[yt]zP4zOTSx2s8[/yt]

I'd actually like to award the game to the top three winners, but the price is going up to $29.99 on 1.0 release day, and I'm nowhere near rich. So, I'll be awarding Steam prizes in increments, and only the first place winner will definitely get the game (if he wants it). Second and third place winners *might* get it, sometime in 2019.

I plan to give the winner at least one other choice from my favorites list (which I'll update when the time comes), and likely a game (reasonably priced) of his own choosing. Second place winner *may* also get one other choice from my favorites. This all depends on when and whether I can afford it. I've acquired some hospital and doctor bills in the last couple of months, and I don't know yet how that's going to affect my wallet long-term. Short version is that I'd like to award six games to the top three winners (not to exceed $30 per game), but I won't be doing it at once, and I may have to stagger it throughout 2019, with first place getting his games first. In other words, you'll probably get your games during sales.

That said, Kenshi is super fun, once you figure out how to play it. I've got well over 500 hours logged in since 2014. But, it is hard if you don't know what you're doing. It's not the kind of game that holds your hand. The people who don't like it are the ones who don't "get it." The premise is that you're a nobody in a world that doesn't care about you and doesn't care about your fate, but you care about you, and it's up to you to decide how to spend your life, how to survive, and how to fight those who may come against you. There is a story, but the main story is subservient to the story you choose to tell. Basically, you decide how you want to play the game. You can build a squad and a town and eventually wage war against other factions you don't like. Or, you can just wander the world in search of loot. Or, you can try to get rich by trading (or stealing then trading). Or...(fill in the blank).

The game's specs are fairly low for the type of game it is. Unless you've got an ancient PC with no graphics power, you should be able to run it. Obviously, those of you with graphics cards, solid-state drives, and other powerful computer components will have a much better time. It can get sputtery on my system at times (I have an integrated graphics card), especially during peak processing, and the pathfinding may drive you nuts depending on whether you're near shorelines (hopefully they'll fix most of that by 1.0), but outside of those imperfect issues, the game should be accessible. That said, if you win, check the specs to make sure your computer can handle it. If you've bought it in the last three to five years, you should be okay.

So, I thought I'd share with you guys the details of the game and its coming 1.0 release. Hopefully it inspires you to release the best games you can. You've got just under a month to finish. Good luck.