Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Nathan, you have a game with a planned 34 total rooms, of which most are a single screen large

Nathan, your artstyle is a simple and loose doodle style like you draw on napkins so that you don't have an excuse not to draw something

Nathan, you've been working on bits and pieces of this short, simple project since 2015

Nathan, why are you making a new RPG? Stop!

Okay Nathan, this Trytuges thing is a remake of a game you completed back in 2004, you can totally make it again

Good good, you've made it to the cave where they fight the evil sorcerer magician warlock Scotsman

Keep going...Nathan, why are you making another RPG file?

You have enough sprites of your fursona, Nathan, just go back and finish one of your other games

Nathan, why are you making an NSFW shock humor game full of other peoples' OHR characters?

Okay, you can work with this Nathan. You've always wanted to do a good follow-up to No Eat, deep down you've always wanted to go further down that path and

Nathan, why does this game literally only have a one-room dungeon and a half-functional inn after half a year of development?

Nathan, why are you ignoring the OHR forums?

Nathan, why are you talking to yourself?

Ah well, at least you've saved backups of these three games to your DropBox in case your eleven-year-old computer expectedly dies like the three newer ones did. Good job finally getting that part right.

...guys, I have at least three projects that I might be able to Phoenix Down into an entry. I'm finally living in a stable place, working a stable schedule at work, and have only mildly-unstable sleep cycles. But focusing on just one project is hard, and sometimes (for months at a time) I just want to draw comics or just listen to Let's Plays on YouTube in my free time rather than work on one of my many...far too many...games.
Attachments
Surreal adventure about looking deep into the inner workings of a Nathan Karr mind
Surreal adventure about looking deep into the inner workings of a Nathan Karr mind
Nathan Quest0003.png (8.93 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Straightforward classic fantasy RPG with OHR-normal levels of fourth wall humor.
Straightforward classic fantasy RPG with OHR-normal levels of fourth wall humor.
Trytuges0003.png (13.17 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Extremely gross fetish game that also happens to have lots of OHR references as recruitable characters.
Extremely gross fetish game that also happens to have lots of OHR references as recruitable characters.
snoopingas0022.png (5.73 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Wait, you're not dead???

[Been a while since I've seen those tiles in the third shot there]
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Feenicks wrote:Wait, you're not dead???

[Been a while since I've seen those tiles in the third shot there]
I've come close a couple of times (some people really shouldn't have drivers licenses). I've felt it a few times. I've wished for it once in a while, but it's never come so it looks like I'm stuck here for a while yet.

So even if I miss the deadline by a few days and even if neither game is complete, I will release one of Trytuges or Nathan's Quest this year (possibly both). My feature request is the ability to assign default equipment pieces to all five equipment slots instead of just Weapon - they should all default to "no item" but I want to be able to assign things like the hat a character is drawn wearing as his helmet which can be overridden, but not sold. This will be of _fantastic_ use for games that use the old levelup bug to assign character stats. Or do silly things like joke games already do like making someone's base weapon a healing potion.
Attachments
The tavern where you recruit three of the six possible allies to aid you. Your party must have a warrior-wizard whose name begins with the letter D, a robotic law-enforcer, and a wolf of love.
The tavern where you recruit three of the six possible allies to aid you. Your party must have a warrior-wizard whose name begins with the letter D, a robotic law-enforcer, and a wolf of love.
Nathan Quest0002.png (10.14 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
The party members don't exactly get along perfectly. Everyone likes to dump on Thriff especially.
The party members don't exactly get along perfectly. Everyone likes to dump on Thriff especially.
Trytuges0001.png (8.15 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Nathan will you be doing a drawing for each game entered this time around?
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

guo wrote:Nathan will you be doing a drawing for each game entered this time around?
That's a very good idea. They might take until late 2019 to finish but I think I'll be able to manage that (and it'll take away my excuse to not play other peoples' games to boot)
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I spent... all day working on this. I thought I'd had it halfway done before but I was miserably wrong. Ended up rewriting mostly everything.

Anyway, I created 2 different ADTs using object-oriented hspeak. There are NPC objects and Task objects. The NPC objects are slices which hold data like what map each NPC considers "home," what task they are currently doing or walking to, etc. The Task objects hold information on what map to go to, what destination on that map, how long the task takes, etc. The idea was to make a town with NPCs that have unexpected behavior and travel between maps and locations.

It's still weird sometimes. There are edge cases I haven't snuffed out yet, but part of that might be cleaned out just by tightening up the scripts in general. Had a few instances where there were multiple copies of the same NPC on a map. That was a nightmare. But finally, it's somehow working kinda smoothly.

Altogether it's about 600 lines of code to make all of it happen. The task system ends up being a state machine, and I've yet to learn how to program that elegantly. So I've got this massive chunk of a script that switches through all the possibilities. My next step is to add in all the NPCs and maps and see if it lags the OHR into oblivion.
Attachments
Watch in awe as they go about their meaningless business
Watch in awe as they go about their meaningless business
partner0001.gif (750.2 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That is so cool! :D

Is there a wallmap bug by the door in the middle building?

I like how the person and the slime get stuck on each other for a while until another person comes by and plows through them :)
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

The wallmap weirdness is so two npcs don't block each other in a doorway while pathfinding. Later I'll make the graphics fit the walls, but I needed to quick fix it.

I am also a fan of when the npcs get stuck on each other. It makes me feel like they're both too polite to stay in the same spot and keep moving out of the way for one another.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
dantedynamite
Red Slime

Post by dantedynamite »

I changed the UI and I finished up the engine for the core game mechanics. It's nice to see it is finally playable! Basically now I have the most important systems in place, so I can focus on the fun parts like dialogue, story, and quests.

Well, that would be if my 7 year old laptop didn't suddenly just stop turning on last night. Here's hoping I can fix it soon.
Attachments
I changed the UI. It is not as minimalist as I would like, but I think it looks a lot nicer now.
I changed the UI. It is not as minimalist as I would like, but I think it looks a lot nicer now.
received_1932194997078685.gif (615.92 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

You guys are pulling some neat tricks out of your hats for this contest. Good job.

Kylekrack, your state machine system (I just learned what that means not long ago thanks to all that Unity C# stuff I've been learning the last couple of weeks) is the kind of stuff I like to see in games. Glad you're making it work. You should show off any instance where you follow an NPC from map to map next.

dantedynamite, that UI is impressive. Good job.

To everyone else, we're nearing the halfway mark between the two edges of the window. Hope you're in great shape for December!

I think TMC's request deadline is coming up, too, so if any of you haven't made requests yet, you probably should about now.

Also, if anyone still wants to contribute to the prize pool, or if anyone wants to change their prize, please let me know.

Good job so far, everyone.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

As people in the Discord know, I've been spending an inordinate amount of time working on these damn trees.

But at least I've made some good headway weaning the project off of the free Vikings tiles. Another playtest version will hopefully be ready soon...
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Foxley wrote:As people in the Discord know,
We have a Discord now? Is that why nobody's ever around in IRC?
dantedynamite
Red Slime

Post by dantedynamite »

I've been spending an inordinate amount of time working on these damn trees.
Those trees look great. The effort shows.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Sometimes gameplay mechanics are inspired by the graphics I have to work with. For example, some tilesets have both brown and gray treasure chests so I decided to make the gray ones locked with a key.
Attachments
Trytuges0008.png
Trytuges0008.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
Your thief specializes in pickpocketing, not lockpicking.
Your thief specializes in pickpocketing, not lockpicking.
Trytuges0007.png (9.81 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

So, I'll probably be entering in ynah to the contest again.

I really don't think it'll be totally 100% complete by december's end, but I'm certain I'll at least be able to get to a "Insert Disc 2" point in the story. It will probably wrap up a lot of the plot threads of the demo and set up a decent cliffhanger for "Act 2".

In addition to new areas and everything I've gone back and gave some earlygame tiles a graphical touchup. The hero sprites have got a bit of a facelift, and I also have made an effort to add more of those "examine spots" that the reviewers seemed to want more of.
Attachments
The mall actually looks abandoned now
The mall actually looks abandoned now
ynah0047.png (18.06 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
Three servings of 38.1% your daily recommended intake of dirty jokes
Three servings of 38.1% your daily recommended intake of dirty jokes
ynah0049.png (30.93 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
You can get information about some buildings by examining them before entering.
You can get information about some buildings by examining them before entering.
ynah0042.png (18.82 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
Last edited by Idontknow on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working as intended!