Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Hinterlands: Pilgrimage has been UPDATED (again).
Attachments
Bird catching bugs like...
Bird catching bugs like...
birdbug.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey guys, just in case it isn't clear or obvious, you can give *honest* scores to your own games if you want. In fact, I'd recommend you do so to ensure that you reach or exceed the 2/3 voter margin required to have an accurate average score. Don't game the system, though: give the score you think your game deserves, but don't be afraid to rate yourself. You might be the only one doing it. (Hopefully not, though!)

Regarding the YouTube videos, I'm about halfway through. I just finished recording Asphodelus to catch up on my alphabetical list, but will hopefully get to Hinterlands tonight or tomorrow. Maybe in another week I'll be ready to start posting them. In the meantime, you can check out my videos on Kaiju Big Battel, complete with annoying voice acting! I've got four more parts releasing this week, beginning on Tuesday.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Arc Wars by MorpheusKitami
This game doesn't justify a real review.
1/10
Attachments
Don't waste my time.
Don't waste my time.
skotos0009.png (7.96 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Bale:
It's got a very '90s comic book vibe to it. Also reminds me of an old DOS RPG called Psionics. That's all the good I can say about it. I've never been more bored playing a video game.
2/10

Birdcaged:
Nice graphics, but it could be better wrapped around a game that doesn't play like fighting a brick wall.
3/10

Drydocks:
It's like an alpha version of a classic '90s strategy game. Looking good, but needs work.
4/10

False Skies:
If you're going to make a game that's intended to look like a game on a certain console, don't half-slime it and make something that doesn't look like garbage.
1/10

One Pirate: Crystal Caves:
Very, very obviously constructed by someone just starting out. Most people wouldn't complete something like that, so I've got to give props. I'd suggest taking in some less anime influences next time.
1/10

One Pirate: Summer Island:
See above.
1/10
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Arc Wars
6/10

Bale - Chapter 1
8/10

Birdcaged
6/10

False Skies
6/10

Hinterlands: Pilgrimage
8/10

Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy
9/10

Masks: 15 pages.
8/10

One Pirate: Adventure in the Crystal Cave
8/10

Px
7/10

Trytuges
6/10

Zalag: Glustu
6/10
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

dark planet: 7/10
pretty good from what I've seen, I enjoyed the premise a lot.

px: 9/10
extremely high-quality game. like damn. the soundtrack and visuals are incredibly striking. only qualm is that it's not very clear as to what items do. it reminds me of the rpgmaker game && (aka twicefold ampersands. )

one pirate: adventure in the summer island: 4/10
honestly, bad games really fry my meat. in a good way. this one piece fan game is pretty awful, but in this state of suckage it accidentally becomes a GENIUS RPG. in any other contest with different parameters, this would be a 10/10. i recommend everyone play this one, just to experience it...
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Hero: Adventure in Animal Kingdom :: 2/10
Huge empty maps full of rattata. Rushed graphics. Story? Decent music.

Hinterlands: Pilgrimage (alpha) :: 6/10
Hate that walkabouts all shuffle to the side instead of turn. Liked the detail in some areas. Wished the detail continued throughout.

Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy :: 10/10
Almost seems unfair that's it's in the contest. I have nothing bad to say about it. I played it for a while about a week ago.

Masks: 15 pages. :: 5/10
Spooky

the rest of thecrimsondm's games :: 3/10
they all seem wildly similar to each other
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Starting off,

Bale 8/10
My opinion on this game has changed about 170 degrees from the 2016 contest. Numerous tweaks to the combat system in particular have changed this from a bleak game that was frustrating to play because the combat was tedious and healing/MP recovery was frustrating and obtuse has come around completely for me. I love this game and completely dig its bleak aesthetic.

Arc War 2/10
The game goes out of its way to be as unpleasant as possible. It starts with a tedious, unfun mission where you're invincible robots and have slightly fewer attacks per turn than you need to defeat the single, super frequent enemy formation so I turned to hitting the F7 key to skip through the fights during the "taste of power" mission. I was rewarded for this attitude by accidentally winning a fight I was intended to lose (which when I re-fought, took too long to kill me). My character died and went to hell, and hell is appropriately mostly a bunch of one-tile-wide hallways that are sometimes mazes and sometimes just time-waster ping-pong-paths. All the art is horrible, but not in a "hell is gruesome" way so much as a "quickly doodle some shock art in MSPaint" way. I used the F5 key to max out my experience points a little way into hell, then kept hitting F7 to win because the fights were boring (what's the point of being able to punch if gun is just better?). After the first floor, I started using F11 to get through the walls and stopped bothering with the non-boss NPCs. Basically, allowing the debug keys was another one of this game's insidious traps to lull me into a false sense of security - after winning one battle on what I think was the fifth floor I was cursed with a game over, and since I never bothered to save (there's no salvation for the damned) I guess the story ends with the main character taking Demeter's place. I'm giving the game +1 to its score purely because its great efforts at being shocking, gross, and unpleasant should be recognized - aside from the terrible art, it succeeds at its goals perfectly.

Zalag Gallery 1/10.
As Arc War, minus the effort.

Trytuges 6/10.
Giving it an honest rating, I think even if I finished giving it everything I had envisioned and made the game perfectly to my goals it would still only be worth a 7 or an 8. The game is just a short, quick JRPG adventure and falls apart really quickly once you get a boat - like a 60 hour game distilled down to a single hour.

One complaint I often receive with my games is that I set player characters' accuracy too low; I disagree, but I accept that I'll be receiving lower average scores from other users based on this and willingly accept it. To be honest, I like to have attacks occasionally miss, to choose between weapons with different strengths and drawbacks regarding relative accuracy and power, and Knate's base accuracy goes over 100 after a few levels letting you equip a cumbersome weapon and a few pieces of accuracy-debuffing armor at the same time and still usually hit.

I figure giving the player a full party of four characters from the outset should signify that you're meant to think of the team as a whole rather than each hero individually - you have four attacks, one that is accurate and powerful but slow, one that is accurate and fast but weak, and two that are medium-speed, inaccurate, and weak as a small bonus if you can't think of anything magical to have your mages do at the time.

A lot of thought went into the battle system and the characters' stats and skills. A lot of people will disagree with my decisions, but they were made very intentionally. Regardless of who else enjoys the game I found it a blast to play (I like giving Knate an ogre club for the high risk, high reward aspect of hitting crazy hard with low accuracy and equipping the two mages with either daggers or boomerangs, to hit accurately or to have low accuracy but spread the attack out respectively).
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

You know, I think I'm just going to go ahead and take the L, feel free to remove my games from the contest. Since I'm apparently that terrible of a video game developer and probably as a human being too.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

MorpheusKitami wrote:You know, I think I'm just going to go ahead and take the L, feel free to remove my games from the contest. Since I'm apparently that terrible of a video game developer and probably as a human being too.
There will always be those who talk slime.

Bethesda get called the worst game developers ever like 100,000 times a day on the internet by people who spent 100+ hours enjoying their games (and probably bought Skyrim like six times).
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Yeah, Arc War was the first game I played, and I have a bunch of footage to edit into a video for it. I'm not a fantastic commentator or editor, but I'm looking forward to putting it all together. I'm gonna try to do it justice. So much work was put into this game and I don't think it should be ignored. I'll admit it had some frustrating aspects to it, but there's so much content to be discussed.

In fact, the game has sparked quite a bit of discussion on Discord. I mean, people were talking about it for hours straight. That's not insignificant. Anything worth talking about that much is worthwhile. You should be proud of making a complete game, even if the reception isn't what you wanted it to be.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

As for me. I'm still awaiting a compilation of the complicated gallery. I would buy that XD if it was $10 or less, and with some work on the graphics/coding
Kefyrra
Red Slime

Post by Kefyrra »

I thought Arc Wars was an interesting can of worms to open up, regardless of its overwhelmingly obtuse gameplay and shock value.
Can't say I've ever seen any game quite like it, that's for sure!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

One Pirate: Crystal Cave 5/10. It was charming, but short. I include the very sloppy but stylistically consistent graphics as part of the charm. Since it was labeled as finished and its sequel was labeled as unfinished, I decided to abstain from the sequel.

Dark Planet 6/10. I remember how disappointed I was with the first release of this game for 2016, how it had basically no content and was just to show off how flashy the visuals for its main menu looked, and how disappointed I was at not getting to go to the sewer or subway or whatever it was to shoot at bugs even. Now that same menu actually loads properly, it opens with an actual mission instead of a training room session, there's equipment and it's clear a lot of work went into what little game is here.

Dreamwalkers 4/10. The premise is interesting and the graphics are really good in some places (monsters, background, the second playable character's battle sprite) and really sloppy in others (the blanket on the main character's bed, his battle sprite). The characters talk about going to visit the dream world version of the school, but the problem there is that waking life gave me absolutely no indication or frame of reference for the relative placement of the main character's house and the school. Wandered around for a bit, killed a few enemies, then got torn to shreds by a random encounter. Since neither character knows a healing spell, there's no convenient inn, and healing potions aren't very common I feel no incentive to grind and see if it gets easier or more content as I go. Especially not when the special attacks labeled as doing more damage than the basic attacks...kinda don't?
Attachments
The best part for me is not knowing if she'd react this way had I named it something cooler.
The best part for me is not knowing if she'd react this way had I named it something cooler.
Dreamers0000.png (14.88 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
Bale seems to almost consistently use the wrong "its"
Bale seems to almost consistently use the wrong "its"
Bale0004.png (2.85 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Hairy gay men are usually not just cheap, but free. This guy must've been ugly.
Hairy gay men are usually not just cheap, but free. This guy must've been ugly.
skotos0001.png (16.08 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
I moved Reed to the front of the party because I liked his sprite more, and the cutscenes did this to me consistently. Adds to the charm that the constant horrible spelling and grammar bring to the table.
I moved Reed to the front of the party because I liked his sprite more, and the cutscenes did this to me consistently. Adds to the charm that the constant horrible spelling and grammar bring to the table.
crystalcavev20001.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
I finally get to shoot the beetles! Too bad Rapid Fire is worse than my default attack in every situation I found in the game.
I finally get to shoot the beetles! Too bad Rapid Fire is worse than my default attack in every situation I found in the game.
darkplanet0000.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

You're right. A lot of books I read are older and use the apostrophe "it's" as a possessive, even if it's not a contraction. I guess it's a bad habit I've picked up. I'll try fix it next update, cheers.
vvight.wordpress.com