Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Well this is certainly motivating, I've been wanting to play Kenshi for some time now!
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

My game is up

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=134090

Still missing:
-Random battles on the ocean
-The script to override the overworld music while sailing
-Random battles on Skull-Shaped Island
-Random battles inside the dark lord's fortress
-Treasure chests inside the dark lord's fortress
-NPC interactions inside the dark lord's fortress (Dark Lord himself and minibosses)
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Nathan, thanks for posting. You still have about four weeks to put all of those additions/fixes into the game and still have it count.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Nathan, I haven't played much yet, but I'm really looking forward to your game. It looks great.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

So is this thing supposed to be uploaded on 11/30 or 12/15? I'm a little confused by the wording in the initial post. Thanks.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Basically, just make sure it's online by December 15th (technically December 16th in most time zones). November 30th is the standard end date that we used in previous contests to mark when it should be online to prevent procrastination from knocking you out of the contest, with an additional two weeks given to bug-fixing. But, I decided to cut out the interim bug-fixing period for those who want to wait until their best version is ready, so it doesn't matter how you post this time. Just make sure it's on Slime Salad or Castle Paradox by December 16th, or provide a link to wherever else you've got it posted here in this thread, and you'll be good to go.

I also cut out the interim period because too many people were playing games early and voting on the buggy versions. Most people play a game once and never go back to see what's fixed. I don't think that's fair to those who actually do the hard work in squashing bugs. You can basically ignore the November 30th deadline, but just remember that nothing will be accepted after the mid-December deadline. Posting early ensures that you're covered, and the bug-fixing window gives you time to make improvements, including those you discover through player feedback (sort of the point of the bugfix period). But, feedback on the buggy version doesn't guarantee you'll get feedback or votes on the fixed version, so pick your poison.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Thanks!
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

That's great to hear, considering I'm moving house and working 6 days this week :zombie:
vvight.wordpress.com
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

This week's been too busy for me to get much work done, and thanksgiving was even more of a wash. So not ready to release tonight. But I'm going to shoot for the end of Sunday for a playtest release.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I was planning to release on the 1st, but I had a pretty busy week moving house and working the other days, so I'll endeavour to have it complete by next week. It's all ready to go, I just want to iron out the remaining bugs and polish a couple of scenes.

Hope everyone else's entries are coming along well, can't wait to play em all.
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

In response to literally the only feedback I've received on the game, I edited the Pile O Rocks to be escapable and use a battle victory tag (yay new feature) rather than be a basic single-use NPC.

Further, I filled out the tilemap of the final dungeon and added the final boss. I might squeeze in time to add one or several of the final dungeon's treasure chests, final dungeon's random battles, ocean's random battles, and that script to change the overworld music while on the ship.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

So... it looks like the chances of me having a demo ready by the 15th/16th are slim to none.

On top of recent problems in real life (around the start of November a Domino's delivery driver crashed into my parked car and totaled it... new car I got after that is looking like it'll turn out to be about as good as having no car, except that having no car is cheaper... it just keeps getting worse and worse!), I've been having a really hard time devoting any energy at all toward this project in the past couple months, and in its current state (no title, no title screen, cuts off near the end of a quest, missing several other "must do before I show this to anyone else" features) I don't think there's any way I could release it, especially not as a contest entry since people actually play those.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Damn. Best of luck with car trouble, expenses, and life in general.

"Neglected, for now, but yo, it gots to be accepted
That what? That life is hectic"
- Inspectah Deck
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Sorry about your car, Fnrrf. Much of what you've described reminds me of my college days. Memories of waiting for tow trucks every other week in an era when not everyone and his cat had a cellphone in places where the nearest phone was a couple of miles away at times when most people are asleep. Those were the days.

And they sucked.

Hope it gets better for you.

For everyone participating, this is your one-week warning to get your contest versions online.*

Good luck.

*My vacation starts that following Wednesday (19th, I think), and I'm unlikely to check the entries before then, and maybe not even until that Friday, so if any of you sneak in an entry between Sunday and Friday, I may not notice, so you may have as many as five free days beyond the window to fix things up before I announce the entries. You should have your entries online by Sunday, but you could feasibly revise until the following Thursday or Friday before I announce them. FYI.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Things.
Attachments
Preview of things to come
Preview of things to come
Pilgrimage0007.gif (3.27 MiB) Viewed 2202 times
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.