Heart of the OHR Contest 2018

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

So we actually did a little research on that. It seen that a port of SDL2 exists for Switch, so if we made a gfx_sdl2 backed, it ought to be possible-- however it would also require getting a Switch Dev kit, which means getting some kind of official approval from Nintendo and signing an NDA or something like that.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I will assist in any way I can assuming I win.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Bob the Hamster wrote:So we actually did a little research on that. It seen that a port of SDL2 exists for Switch, so if we made a gfx_sdl2 backed, it ought to be possible-- however it would also require getting a Switch Dev kit, which means getting some kind of official approval from Nintendo and signing an NDA or something like that.
I tried to get a dev kit for Switch but it's shaping up to be this really impossible task. I think I was talking to TMC and James about it a few months ago and I actually got a reply from the 3rd party team at Nintendo and they wouldn't grant me a kit. Not sure what I need to do to get one or what. TMC made it seem like Xbox was a much more obtainable goal anyways. I really just want to be on any console, but being portable on the Switch would be the most ideal.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

xbox or playstation would also be acceptable
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Nintendo did hint (in the email RMZ forwarded) that Nintendo would be making some announcement, perhaps opening up development, "in the near future". 3DS and Wii U can already be freely ported to.
Xbox One/Windows Store will likely be the easiest to port to, but I have heard warnings against assuming it is so easy.

It's James that's offering that prize for the winner (awarded after the contest is over).
I'm offering a feature/bugfix per contest entrant. I'll post a reminder in two weeks, when I officially start.
You haven't said you're entering the contest though. With what game?

So far I have received one request, from guo. Here's my list

Some people have mentioned that they're entering the contest or posted screenshots elsewhere, or been vague about entering, but the whole point is to get people to post updates on the forums for everyone to see, and so I don't have to go hunting for evidence. So the list above isn't complete.
Last edited by TMC on Wed May 16, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:So far I have received one request, from guo. Here's my list

Some people have mentioned that they're entering the contest or posted screenshots elsewhere, or been vague about entering, but the whole point is to get people to post updates on the forums for everyone to see, and so I don't have to go hunting for evidence. So the list above isn't complete.
Thanks for maintaining this! If joystick stuff is already planned, I'd like to request "adjustable attack animation speed in battle" (Meaning I'd like to have projectiles move slower or faster) or if that's not feasible right now, "adjustable Walk in Place setting" (global is fine)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sure, that's a great request!

Walk-in-place animation speed is part of customisable sprite animations, which is what I'll be working on after Fufluns. Customising attack and attacker motions such as Projectile is largely separate. Longer term, I want to replace them with battlescripts, but adding some customisable parameters to them to a good first step.

Also, I want to clarify what guo wanted when asking for an "option to hide experience and/or level on the stat & hero screens". What about displaying level in the Load menu, or displaying XP gained after a battle?
Last edited by TMC on Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Oh yea, those too. Basically an ability to hide every mention of level or experience!
vvight.wordpress.com
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

Can you invite me to the discrod server please? I'm Gaplan#4508.
sorry for bad english :v:
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Here's the invite link:

https://discord.gg/BWynnQX
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

I have come back from the dead to participate in this contest. :zombie:
I'm building a lot of code from the ground up this time, so it'll be a month or two before I can visually show any progress, but I'm feeling very committed this year. I hope the rest of you are, too! Part of why I'm so excited right now is that I've been away for so many years. I can't wait to play some of the new stuff you guys come up with!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Eh, sure, I'll stop being obnoxious and formally enter this thing.
Attachments
these are totally new assets
these are totally new assets
falsesky0025.gif (338.03 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Good to see all of the new participants entering the fray. We already have our first confirmed entry on the game list, so we're off to a good start. Don't forget to let TMC know which bugs you want addressed as your entry incentives.

Also, the prize pool is still open to anyone who wishes to contribute.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Baconlabs wrote:I have come back from the dead to participate in this contest. :zombie:
Whoa... I can't believe it's been over 5 years since you last posted on Slime Salad! Welcome back! Viridia is still one of my all time favourite HotOHR entries. Sadly all that super ambitious fake-battlescripting you attempted in Viridia was ahead of its time (and still is...); it was the engine's fault it didn't work smoothly. It was a too audacious game anyway, so although I'm a little sad you're not continuing it given this opportune excuse to do so, I'm sure the next thing will be great too.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

REMINDER:

Starting June 1st, I'm offering every entrant in the HotOHR contest a prioritised OHRRPGCE engine feature or bugfix of their choice.

Details:
  • I'll accept requests for features or prioritised bugfixes and will attempt to implement them within three months after accepting (and before the end of the contest). Don't delay, and your request could appear in a stable engine version months before the HotOHR deadline
  • I won't accept requests unless I can finish them before the contest deadline - so, request before December
  • I will only accept requests after you declare that you are entering the contest and have posted at least two substantial screenshots on the forums to show you've started (not just e.g. a trivial titlescreen)
  • If you go a month without any hint of working on your game I'll pause the three-month delivery countdown! Disappear and you won't get your feature!
  • "Prioritised bugfix" means a bug that we haven't or wouldn't promptly fix anyway, for whatever reason (e.g. it's not an easy fix or would otherwise be very low priority)
  • The feature/prioritised bugfix has to be something that I expect I can do in at most two afternoons, and has to be something James and I actually want in the engine. If it's trivial or something I was about to implement in the next months anyway or a typical bug, then the request is free and you get to pick again!
  • I suggest you aim high. Many requests James accepted in previous years were by this standard too big back then but now would be of acceptable size, thanks to engine progress.
  • No bug bounties if I don't deliver or deliver late ;) And no worries if you don't enter a game in the end; I'm more concerned about people doing something

Here's the list of requests so far: HeartBugs

It turns out that Pheonix posted a second screenshot in the "Show off your graphics" thread, so I marked him Confirmed.
But Ichiro and guo are at risk of getting marked inactive, for not posting anything about their games on the forums for the whole first month of the contest. (Maybe I should just allow updates given in Discord/elsewhere)

Also, Spoonweaver is entering with Tim-Tim? Will Pepsi Ranger allow it?

Ichiro, Pheonix and thecrimsondm are confirmed and just need to give me their requests. Everyone else owes screenshots (but can make requests already).