Squeak! Squeak! I am a MOUSE!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Squeak! Squeak! I am a MOUSE!

Post by Bob the Hamster »

So starting with tomorrow's nightly build, you should optionally be able to use the mouse *everywhere* in game.exe

Right now this is turned off by default in existing games (that might change?)

To enable mouse controls in your game, go to "Edit General Game Settings" -> "Mouse Options"

If you want to test mouse controls in somebody else's game, and they have left Debug Keys enabled, you can press F8 while playing, and look at the bottom of the debug menu for the "Mouse Options" menu.

(If you have a scripted battle system, or a scripted menu system that uses slices, and you want help with mouse control scripting, start a new thread and ask for help, and I should be able to give guidance.)
Attachments
Gameplay sample with mouse support
Gameplay sample with mouse support
wander0000.gif (5.32 MiB) Viewed 1795 times
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Nice! What does this mean for touch screen support?
vvight.wordpress.com
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

This means good things for touch screen support too! Your can tap to click. On most menus you can tap outside the menu rectangle to close it like you would with ESC.

You can also right click to close menus, and on a touch screen, a two-finger tap closes.

On long menus like the Inventory screen, you can scroll with the mouse wheel, or on a touch screen you can right drag

(The two-finger stuff is on Android, I don't know about a Windows PC with a touch screen. It depends on how right-click is emulated on those)
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Mouse controlled battles kinda seem like you'd be giving the enemies a handicap against you with how much longer it takes to target attacks vs. just a couple of spacebar presses (I imagine it would work a lot better with the turn-based mode, but without the pause during targeting it'd be pretty rough to try using the mouse for active-mode battles.)

The mouse-based map movement is really neat, though! Glad to see the cursor isn't a standard Windows pointy-arrow, too. I don't know why exactly but seeing "Windowsy" interface things mixed into a very un-Windowsy looking program like the OHRRPGCE bothers me. Speaking of the cursor, will it be possible to enable/disable it or change the sprite for it? A feature idea that I just thought of that might be useful to some people would be a bitset or something to make it invisible until somebody actually touches the mouse and then disappear again if there's no more mouse inputs for a while, so it's not just hanging around on the screen at all times in "mouse enabled, but optional" games.

EDIT: Oh hey, and I just noticed that carrots in Wandering Hamster are no longer "cruncy!"
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:Glad to see the cursor isn't a standard Windows pointy-arrow, too.
You're mistaken. The mouse cursor you see in that GIF is only used for showing the mouse position while recording a GIF. The actual mouse cursor is not visible in the GIF. It's just the operating system's normal mouse cursor. (Unless you're using the gfx_sdl backend, which is not the default on Windows, then the mouse cursor changes to a black mouse cursor, which is the SDL default). We don't currently provide any way to change the appearance of the mouse cursor, except to hide it completely, so that you can draw your own cursor as a slice (which is not a practical option, as it doesn't work in menus or battles). It would be possible to implement that, though.
Auto-hiding the mouse cursor if it isn't touched for a while would be a nice feature too; I should implement that.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:Mouse controlled battles kinda seem like you'd be giving the enemies a handicap against you with how much longer it takes to target attacks vs. just a couple of spacebar presses (I imagine it would work a lot better with the turn-based mode, but without the pause during targeting it'd be pretty rough to try using the mouse for active-mode battles.)
I noticed that too. There is no easy way to "spacebar through" default targetting.

What if I made an optional feature where after you pick a target, a "Default" button appears in the same places as the menu item, spell slot or item slot and hangs there for a second. You could tap again to confirm the default target. I think this would work okay... Although it might look a bit ugly for spells an items since it would often be hovering for a moment over the names and ready meters area.