Let's talk about a stable release: etheldreme

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

How hard would it be to make more death/intro animations? I'm thinking of Axe Cop and how great it would be if ninjas could drop in from the sky. Or if enemies could run in from the sides. Love this and will totally put this in the MTA update! Great work dudes!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Seconding a "drop in" animation and a dash in that's basically the reverse of the "flee instead of die" bitset.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Those are a possibility, but since they would work very differently than dissolve animations (flee is a weird special case) I won't try it before the stable release
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Okay, folks! I declare the current nightly wip builds to be release candidates!

Windows: http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nig ... efault.zip
Mac: http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nig ... CE-wip.dmg
Linux: http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nig ... 64.tar.bz2

What better way to celebrate the turkeyfootball holiday season than by playtesting your game with the release candidate!?

Please report anything that seems broken in any way.. heck, please even report things that seem "a bit odd"

Remember that although you can always take a old game and bring it to a newer engine version, you usually cannot take a game that has been edited on a newer engine version, and take it back to an older engine version. So do make a backup copy of your game before jumping into the newer version (the ohrrpgce automatically makes daily backups for you, but it is good to make your own backups sometimes too!)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Okay, I said last week to download the release candidate builds, but download again. They are even better now.

TMC added a bunch of cool new map editor features. Does it work with the mouse now? Yes, it works with the mouse now!

I would love some feedback from anybody who has tested, even if the feedback is "Yes I tested, but I don't have anything else to say"

Simply knowing that people actually are testing is useful information :)
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

It's mostly fine. I've had one problem but I don't think it's anything more than a fluke. One time while testing a game I attempted to exit via that exit button in the upper part of the window, but nothing happened. Tried all other options available to me, nothing happened. Haven't been able to repeat it, so I don't think you need to worry about it too much.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

All of the new mouse controls in the map editor seem to work right for me. I went down the f1 help list and tested everything I saw that was new. The only thing I'm confused about is CTRL+ALT+arrow keys to skew. It's not working for me, but CTRL+RMB works fine. Maybe it's my Macbook interfering with CTRL+ALT?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

MorpheusKitami wrote:It's mostly fine. I've had one problem but I don't think it's anything more than a fluke. One time while testing a game I attempted to exit via that exit button in the upper part of the window, but nothing happened. Tried all other options available to me, nothing happened. Haven't been able to repeat it, so I don't think you need to worry about it too much.
You say it was while testing a game; Were you clicking to close the testing game? or clicking to close custom? And do you remember what menu/screen you were in at the time?
kylekrack wrote:All of the new mouse controls in the map editor seem to work right for me. I went down the f1 help list and tested everything I saw that was new. The only thing I'm confused about is CTRL+ALT+arrow keys to skew. It's not working for me, but CTRL+RMB works fine. Maybe it's my Macbook interfering with CTRL+ALT?
Oh, yeah, that key-combo will probably have to change to something else. CTRL+ALT+Arrows is the shortcut for changing virtual desktops on Linux/XFCE4

Also I am pretty sure that CTRL+ALT+arrow keys can flip the screen upside-down and sideways on certain Windows ATI video card drivers (Maybe just old ones, I haven't seen that happen in like 10 years)

Glad to hear everything else is working out well :)
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Bob the Hamster wrote:
MorpheusKitami wrote:It's mostly fine. I've had one problem but I don't think it's anything more than a fluke. One time while testing a game I attempted to exit via that exit button in the upper part of the window, but nothing happened. Tried all other options available to me, nothing happened. Haven't been able to repeat it, so I don't think you need to worry about it too much.
You say it was while testing a game; Were you clicking to close the testing game? or clicking to close custom? And do you remember what menu/screen you were in at the time?
This was player, not custom. I exited custom normally. The screen was a textbox just after an incorrectly working NPC walk to, but that wasn't the problem, since this was the only time that happened.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Uehehe! I've sabotaged this release! It don't see it being released on time now, not with such fantastically-untested last minute features! Unless -- most unlikely -- eager folk were to band together to plumb the dark corners of the editors, where foul things may lurk unseen...

I'm not working alone, either; MirceaKitsune made undue haste when he heard the release candidate had been released, to add these:
Just look at all these options and combinations thereof. Has anyone tried them all? I haven't. I think he assumed I tested them and I assumed he did. Just try to delete and load a save slot at the same time. (You can't! *Chortle*)

Not mentioned, but also in the last couple days, were the tile layer tint modes (map shot from Powerstick Man):
(took me about 10 attempts at a tinting method to get the colours to look OK regardless of tileset - I bet YOU have a tileset and master palette that turns into a soup of greys), and map image export.

But wait, there's more (not even in nightly builds yet)!
Sitting underneath this is a complicated and hardly-used-before system for saving settings in .ini files, an saved state is just awful for testing. It took me a couple hours to notice that the default values were all wrong!
It would be good if the "Cursor follows mouse: NO" mode got some testing, because it could potentially cause anything you do with the mouse to break! Ueheh! And don't forget every edit mode has different mouse controls! But no reporting "wallmap mode is useless with a mouse" as a bug, I know that; no time to fix.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I misdocumented the skew keys. It's actually CTRL+SHIFT+arrows. Good catch.
After you tried to quit Game but it wouldn't, did it just continue running normally? Did it freeze, or the Esc key stop working, or anything else?

Hey, I get to report bugs too, right?

Bug report:
Bug report, from Foxley:
Last edited by TMC on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I can't tell what bug is being reported in the gif of the itembrowser
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There are two: the scrollbar is broken, and 'Back' is the wrong colour.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Oh! I see now. I saw the pink before, but thought it was an odd looking box border. I must have used the transparent color instead of the black background color.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

TMC wrote:
After you tried to quit Game but it wouldn't, did it just continue running normally? Did it freeze, or the Esc key stop working, or anything else?
Completely frozen. Absolutely no interaction was possible with Game.