A 72 hour game jam (gamejolt DreamHack)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I've quit my game due to "reasons" i.e. the crushing pressure of time. It's inexorable march threatens all of us. We welcome the embrace of death which is its only promise :(
Don't feel bad (for me). It was inevitable.

I can help out by creating resources for anyone else's projects until the deadline if you are interested. We can communicate via PM or in thread.
I could also test or critique a game, or give suggestions.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I put in an entry for the jam
It's not finished, but it works, kinda. Check it out and rate it if you are so inclined.
https://gamejolt.com/games/devouredbynightmares/286867
Last edited by SwordPlay on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I missed the deadline (opps!), but I'm still trying to finish the game I started.

I have a playable demo ready if anyone wants to check it out. I definitely need outside feedback on it, so hit me with what you hate about it. It's not too late to fix things.

https://gamejolt.com/games/beat/286971
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

These Gamejolt jams are confusing. Each game has separate pages on gamejolt.com and on the jam website at gamejolt.io. Each site has separate voting systems! At least, votes on the jam page don't count for game on gamejolt.com, so I assume the reverse don't count either. (Voting is ~5 more days)

I gave Kylekrack feedback on his game is Discord. It's a very promising start; a lot of the graphics are really nice and it has great original music (not made during the contest), and it has a bit of actual plot. Unfortunately it's reeeally short. Sounds like he wants to complete it but even the full thing will only be a bit longer. Also, hopefully he uploaded a fix for the textboxes being badly broken.

Hawk and Sew's game looks really intriguing, but it runs at as little as 1 fps on my computer, because I don't have a graphics card, and bad drivers. So I'll wait to play it until I get to my other computer. It's too bad the game is silent. The concept art for the game is awesome.

Devoured by Nightmares is a surreal landscape, and requires a little imagination to figure out what it'll be when it's finished. I think you weren't too far off something partially playable, but there's currently no challenge because healing is easy to find and the enemies reduce your HP by little or nothing. I'm confused as to why those green demons sometimes harm you, sometimes disappear without harming you, and usually bring up a screen where the controls typically become stuck temporarily (was that intentional, to waste time?)
Sword posted heaps of devlog entries and has been continuing to do since the contest, which is cool to see! (Looks like the download is still for the contest release.) I think reading through all of the devlog is going to answer a lot of my questions about the game.

Haven't looked at any of the other entries.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

oops! I think I forgot to enter my game on the jam page. How do you even do that? whoops I guess. edit: nevermind it seems to be automatic.

New version is available, here and at gamejolt. I would prefer to upload on gamejolt to conserve bandwidth, but maybe I will only post linux release here regularly? Everyone seems to use windows though

Thanks for the feedback. The end result will be a little like SMT. You will be able to negotiate, threaten, command, request etc., demons, and they can join your party (temporarily. And spoiler:they will betray you)
The game is being spruced up. Now "Life" is in double digits, "Spirit" in single digits, and you get +1 spirit when you kill a demon.
Things have been adjusted for a much harder experience.
I added items (now up to 20~) which are equipped for various effects.
There is no readme yet. I have some problems with errors/ slices and making the HUD work (amongst lots of other things) but it is playable

I'm confused as to why those green demons sometimes harm you, sometimes disappear without harming you, and usually bring up a screen where the controls typically become stuck temporarily (was that intentional, to waste time?)
This seems to be an error. It calls the same script as every other battle splash, but when it occurs as the game starts, it hangs. Loading issues maybe? The game timer also stops, but apparently scripts still run. I removed it in newere versions (for now)
There are actually more than 1 kind of each demon.
All the demons will have a few varieties (to be randomly generated) to mix things up. So you might get stronger/weaker/talkative versions.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.