Amazon FireTV / Firestick remote notes

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Amazon FireTV / Firestick remote notes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

So I have known for a while the OHRRPGCE games worked well on the OHRRPGCE, but now thanks to RMZ I have my own Firestick to do testing with.

OHRRPGCE games ported to android will work out of the box with just the remote. They do not even require the full controller.

It is also possible, when I build the apk package, to re-map either the "Menu" or "Back" buttons to some other key like "Z" or whatever, for the benefit of games that need an extra scripted key like "Run" or something.

I would like to try to figure out how to get the Rewind/ Play / Fastforward buttons working, but that is going to take some guess-and-check and experimentation, I don't have any leads yet.

I also hope to add a "running on firetv" plotscripting command similar to the existing "running on ouya" so that games can easily show FireTV-specific help screens and instructions. I have a pretty clear idea how to do this, I just had not done it before, because until now I didn't have a good way to test it.

When I did a simple search for "rpg" on the FireTV, "Walthros" came up in the top 10 search results, and I counted three different OHRRPGCE games in the top 30. (Walthros, Mr Triangle's Adventure, and Crypt of Baconthulhu)

I can't guess how popular a search term "rpg" is on a device that is mainly for streaming movies and tv, but I am pretty pleased that ohrrpgce stuff is so well placed.

I really do encourage anybody who hasn't done so already to think about android porting for your game :)
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I hope you figure out the button thing James! I haven't gotten to my February complaint of not being able to summon the Magic Van in MTA yet! If you can fix it then I don't gotta think up an alternative which is great in my book.

If anybody is interested in Android downloads, specifically on Amazon, I've gotten 1062 for MTA. It kind of plateaued at a really low number and since I added it to being listed on the Fire, it spiked to a surprising number.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Great stuff, I'm not sure why Walthros is doing well but it gets about 100 downloads a month through the Amazon app store. In comparison, Horse Game's had 200 total, C. Kane's had 10, Ghost's Towns 70.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

For some reason every time I submitted Jade to the Amazon store, they always rejected it as incompatible with the Fire TV. Maybe I should cook up an update and try again.

I have a hunch it's some automation thing or something about the intro it doesn't like. I know some of these places use bots and they look to see if the screen changes after some inputs
Last edited by FyreWulff on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hurray for RMZ!
You too can support OHRRPGCE development: https://www.patreon.com/Bob_the_Hamster :)

Maybe arcade games like Owlbears are a natural fit for these consoles? Or the audience, rather. Or maybe they're flooded with that sort of game already?
Last edited by TMC on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.