3-D games using the OHRRPGCE engine

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

woahpotato
Red Slime

3-D games using the OHRRPGCE engine

Post by woahpotato »

I don't know why this crossed my mind, but I'd thought of would be nice to ask this..

With enough dedication and coding skill:
is it possible to make a 3-D game using the OHRRPGCE software?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3512

This demo has a little 3D goin on. I think it's kind of the be all end all when it comes to 3D in the OHR
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Depends on what you mean by 3D. Wolf3D-style 3D is theoretically possible, or so I hear :)

More practically, you can create first-person dungeon crawlers. Examples are Festivus and Labyrinthilium by Pheonix, Valigarmander was working on a game and there was a tech demo by Sephy. There may have been one other game I'm forgetting.
Pheonix released his scripts here: 3D Maze Example, but they definitely aren't going to be a cake-walk to use, due to the huge amount of backdrops you need to manually prepare.

Also, see this previous thread about why you should be looking at a different engine if you want to make first-person dungeon crawlers or 3D games.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

While not true 3D, I feel like I came pretty close with Fridge Racer. I used This Tutorial, which was written for "real programming" but you'd be surprised how adaptable the OHR can be to the basic concepts. I slimed up some of the math, but someone a wee smarter than I am could (and probably already has) managed. Apply some of the projectiony math from that tutorial to the stuff from This tutorial and you'd be sailing.
Last edited by Gizmog on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

TMC wrote:Depends on what you mean by 3D. Wolf3D-style 3D is theoretically possible, or so I hear :)

More practically, you can create first-person dungeon crawlers. Examples are Festivus and Labyrinthilium by Pheonix, Valigarmander was working on a game and there was a tech demo by Sephy. There may have been one other game I'm forgetting.
Pheonix released his scripts here: 3D Maze Example, but they definitely aren't going to be a cake-walk to use, due to the huge amount of backdrops you need to manually prepare.

Also, see this previous thread about why you should be looking at a different engine if you want to make first-person dungeon crawlers or 3D games.
I'm actually trying to develop a game that's similar to Shin Megami Tensei, the only difference being is that there isn't going to be a world map in this game like in SMT.

That maze example script might actually be useful, however. Thanks, TMC.
I'll also look into the other links that were provided by everyone else for some further insight.
Last edited by woahpotato on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Feenicks' maze is pretty spot on if you're trying to make something similar to SMT1.
Working as intended!
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

Idontknow wrote:Feenicks' maze is pretty spot on if you're trying to make something similar to SMT1.
Could you link me to that, please?
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

TMC just did
Working as intended!
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

Idontknow wrote:TMC just did
Ah, you caught me off guard with "Feenicks" until I realized what you meant. Sorry about that.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I see that SMT has extra frames when rotating and moving. That could be done too, of course, but would probably be a pain to adapt Feenicks/Pheonix's scripts for that.

But really, the big problem with creating a first-person dungeon crawler with the OHR is creating all those different versions of each wall graphic and importing them. Festivus has 365 backdrops!
This could be all automated if there were script command to read and write pixels to sprites, so that a script could be written to create all those wall pieces automatically. I was planning on added such a set of commands soon anyway (in fact I started). But without them, you'd be better off using a different game engine.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

TMC wrote:(in fact I started)
How are you managing that? Doesn't that require the new script interpreter?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

TMC wrote:This could be all automated if there were script command to read and write pixels to sprites, so that a script could be written to create all those wall pieces automatically. I was planning on added such a set of commands soon anyway (in fact I started).
AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME?! God almighty, TMC! Do you realize how important what you're doing is?! We're talking adding transparency pixels for bullet holes, we're talking like.. the most important feature ever done. All kinds of stuff that can be done... the aesthetics! I am so mad that we talked lasts night and you never mentioned this!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

:???: We didn't talk last night

Anyway, this doesn't require the new script interpreter. Instead of using arrays, I can just add a "draw pixel" command with which takes the x/y coordinate. However, without real arrays it's going to be really slow. Still usable for precomputing. In fact, I only implemented it as far as necessary to benchmark how slow it would be.
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

TMC wrote::???: We didn't talk last night

Anyway, this doesn't require the new script interpreter. Instead of using arrays, I can just add a "draw pixel" command with which takes the x/y coordinate. However, without real arrays it's going to be really slow. Still usable for precomputing. In fact, I only implemented it as far as necessary to benchmark how slow it would be.
I can see why you're this site's equivalent to Jesus Christ. Thanks for the info. :)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Heh, maybe that's a bit much.

Since James and I are busy trying to finalise the Dwimmercrafty release (in addition to many distractions), those script commands aren't going to be done by then. I'll add them afterwards instead.
Since Feenicks released his scripts, I'd love to adapt them to make use of those scripts and do scripted wall rendering.

I also picked up again an old first-person game (well, tech demo) I was working on around the time other people were working on theirs. Maybe I'll have a demo in a couple months.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.