Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

I'm interested.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I would love to enter, but I have sooooo many questions.

How do we know who does what stage?
- Can we choose who does what stage?
- Can we volunteer?
- If someone has already done that stage (or about to) can we still do things for that stage?
- Can we go back to modify a stage which already passed or finished?
- How about to modify someone else's stage?
- Can we work together on a stage?
- Can we skip a stage and come back to it?
- Can stages be of different lengths (time)?

How should we (or, should we) communicate about the game?
- Should we make a thread for each game?
- Is the person who posted the stage list "in-charge" of development?
- What should we call that person anyway? The Author? Leader?
- It would be annoying if they were breathing down your neck though lol
- Should we do each stage independently, or integrated with each-others work?
- What if we (or the author/leader) changes their mind about participants, the game, or stages?
- I don't see anyone has posted stages for design elements. Should we just add this in when we are doing our stage?

Where can we see current stats? No. of games, participants, projected times, completed stages, things like that?
- Where can we see what's going on in a pinch?
- Should we add that stuff in individual threads for each game?
- Will the OP of this thread add that info at the beginning?
- Should we keep some stuff hidden?
- Is it okay to share between games, for example, if you are in charge of creating music for 2 games, can you enter the same work for both of them? Obviously not identical entries, but overlapping resources, say?

Can we still participate if we don't enter a stage list?

Is it too late to post a stage list?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well I guess Marion is responsible for assigning people to stages, while attempting to ensure that everyone gets a chance to do everything.

As she said in the other thread, the intention is that you stick to your own stage, and shouldn't be making changes to other people's work except as needed for what you're doing (e.g. adding sound effects to existing textboxes). And you don't have any control over what people do, except that one of the stages might involve writing a design doc.
So there's no need for a separate thread per game.
As stated earlier, if you finish a stage earlier, it's possible to submit it early and start on the next one. In fact that would be ideal, so that the contest finishes earlier.
I don't see anyone has posted stages for design elements. Should we just add this in when we are doing our stage?
By design elements, do you mean a stage that involves designing parts of the game, writing a design doc?
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Sure.
I might have my stage list like so (where a,b,c,d should be treated as separated stages to be done by different individuals)

1. a, b, c, d
DESIGN
a) Overall Concept/Design
b) Character/Lore Design
c) World/Plot Design
d) Item Design

2. a, b, c, d
MAIN CHARACTERS
Main Character Creation (drawing, battle concept, weapons)
1 stage per main character
Each character should have a battle role, special attack(s) and weapon (etc.,)
You don't need to put stats/numbers to it.
Please (try to) draw associated graphics such as attacks/weapons

3. a, b, c, d
ENEMIES
Enemy creation (drawing, battle concept)
1 stage = 1-5 enemies (or as many as you like.... but not too many :p)
Enemies should have a gimmick or battle role, or interesting design. Maybe some funny speech or significance to story or map events!
You don't need to put stats/numbers to it.
Please (try to) draw associated graphics such as attacks/weapons

4. a, b, c, d
SOUND
a) Sound effects
b) atmospheric music (emotional music)
c) battle music (for battle scenes)
d) ambient music (generic music)

5. a, b, c, d
MAPPING
1 stage = 1-5 maps (or as many as you like)
(please add any relevant plotscript)

6. a, b, c, d
EVENTS
a) shops
b) NPC actions
c) NPC speech
d) event/feature (belonging to maps or npcs for example)
(please add any relevant plotscript)

DRAWING
a) portraits
b) items/objects
c) special graphics (slices?)
d) attack graphics (misc. battle graphics)

BALANCING
a) item/equipment
b) stat enemies and foemap
c) stat heroes

SCRIPTING
a) final design choices
b) menu design
c) map design
d) final plotscripting

TIDYING
neaten stuff up x1000000

But I would like it if the stages had more flexibility, for example, splitting a stage up between people so they all design 1 main character each, but perhaps not taking a week to do, or everyone getting a chance to contribute a few monster graphics, maps, items and so on
For example, I have set out stages so that everyone (?) (depending on no. of participants) gets a chance to do a bit of everything, if you count a,b,c,d as separate stages. Or it could all be done by 1 person.
I'm not sure if this stage list I've posted is serious, I'm not fond of a battle system, much less one fragmented over various creators, unless it is pulled together and tied together by an extraordinarily good balance/stat expert.
For example, I might have a game based around some plotscripting/events.
It would be really cool, but scripting is one of those things that are more or less difficult to make up as you go.
Like most writing/design, it helps if you have an outline and a good idea of whats you want to happen/get done.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Good, another stage list!
I would say it's easiest to keep the Stages as DESIGN, MAIN CHARACTERS, etc. so it goes well with the length of the other stage lists.
If someone finishes early they can just give it to the next person to add more of the same stage.

By the way, I will have to increase the stage 1 for one week.
Did anyone finish anything for stage 1 yet?
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I finished my stage, more or less. Whenever someone else is ready for it I'll pass it along.
Holofox
Slime
Location: New Zulin* mythical place near Austraaaaaaaalia, in the land of the long white cloud

Post by Holofox »

Damn if id been quicker! This sounds like an awesome idea. It'll be interested to see how this turns out.
Rise of the female gamers!
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

marionline wrote:Good, another stage list!
I would say it's easiest to keep the Stages as DESIGN, MAIN CHARACTERS, etc. so it goes well with the length of the other stage lists.
If someone finishes early they can just give it to the next person to add more of the same stage.

By the way, I will have to increase the stage 1 for one week.
Did anyone finish anything for stage 1 yet?
"another stage list"... Are you talking about me?
Not sure if I want to enter this stage list tbh, but I am seriously considering entering a stage list based around plotscripting rather than combat, if anyone else is interested!

Are we (the author) supposed to do stage 1?
And is it okay to have multiple people working in a stage at once (like I posted above with stage parts a,b,c,d intended for different people to work on at once)?
Holofox
Slime
Location: New Zulin* mythical place near Austraaaaaaaalia, in the land of the long white cloud

Post by Holofox »

Is it possible to still join?
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Virtuous Sword wrote: "another stage list"... Are you talking about me?
Not sure if I want to enter this stage list tbh, but I am seriously considering entering a stage list based around plotscripting rather than combat, if anyone else is interested!
Oh, sorry. That was a misunderstanding. So only two stage lists then.
Virtuous Sword wrote:Are we (the author) supposed to do stage 1?
Yes, the author should do stage 1.
Virtuous Sword wrote:And is it okay to have multiple people working in a stage at once (like I posted above with stage parts a,b,c,d intended for different people to work on at once)?
One person would have to merge all the commits together to a stage, and needs to make sure the submitted parts do fit together.
I don't think that it would work out well. And that also mean people would have to work on several stages (your game + someone's game) at the same time, right?
Holofox wrote: Is it possible to still join?
Of course it is! :)
Just post a stage list and start working at stage 1.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Virtuous Sword wrote:So, people who don't post a stage list, they can still participate in a stage right?
But they just don't have their "own" entry in the contest.
Yes.
Could we also have a stage be a mixture of different tasks? Like so:

(Stage)
- 1 main character, art, design, role
- 5 enemies
- 3 map
- 5 NPCs, dialogue
- 5 items/equipment

In other words, totally up to us? Like if we tell them to put their pants on their head and dance they have to do it?
This was basically what marionline did in her contest entry. I wouldn't worry about what the stagelist says as long as it isn't confusing or has too much stuff to do in one week. Like painting a perfect copy of the Mona Lisa and rewriting The Ring Cycle or something.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Oops, I deleted one of my earlier posts. Sorry bout that. Thanks for the clarification.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Okay, I'm submitting this stage list, which is incomplete. I'm also ready to receive anyone else's stage!
edit: oops. Let me finish stage 1 of my own stagelist and I will be ready.

I tired to put as much info/detail as possible so people know what they are doing. I'm not aiming for a serious game, but I would like to make a decent game.

I'm worried that I will have hundreds of entries scattered and jumbled across the database, so I think I will make a guideline like so:

Enemies
0-10 reserved (don't write these)
11-20 Fire Dungeon Enemies
21-30 Water Dungeon Enemies
...and so on, so that we can put things in the right(ish) order and hopefully it will be less of a pain later on :p

(Just read the words in bold to see the summary of the stage list ;))
STAGE 1-8
This stage gets done by everyone until it is finished or 8 weeks pass. Whichever comes first.

-World Design

(this is things that exist in the world, mythos, lore, background, setting, ideas etc.,)
-Story Design
(this is things that happen in the game, either past, present of future. Narrative/plot direction)

-Hero Design
(this would be like equipment, skills, team/party ideas, visual design, character/personality, speech, catchphrases, abilities and powers in combat on the map and in cutscenes, etc.,)
-Battle/Enemy/Fight Designs and Gimmick
(this can be a skill/spell, role, formation, strategy etc., for any hero or enemy)

-Map Design
(this can be maps, populated areas, habitats, dungeons, interiors, landscapes, settlements)
-Map Gimmick
(this can be a container, chest, event, NPC, map feature, design/theme, entity, interactable etc.,)
-Dungeon Design
(ideas and themes for dungeons, enemies, layouts, treasures, bosses, traps, gimmicks, timers/time limits, paths/routes, navigational and terrain features, visual theme, objects, animated things either tile or NPC, etc.,)

-Dialogue
(this can be throwaway speech, descriptions, dialogues, branching speech, messages received by the player throughout the course of the game, etc.,)
-NPC Design
(this can be inanimate (or animate) objects, obstacles, people, monsters, items, map features, etc.,)
-Special Characters
(ideas and designs for heroes, bosses, plot NPCs and items)

-Tile Drawing
(optional)

-Sprite Drawing
(optional)

-Music/Sound
(optional)

HOW MUCH? HOW MANY?
I would like at least 10 of each, but 5, 3, or less is okay. Whatever you can manage is fine to be honest.
20 or more would be impressive :p~
If you are having difficulty, 1 of each is acceptable. Just try your best!

STAGE 9-12
Editing, Data Entry, Scripting, Polishing, More editing

This stage goes on until the game is basically done, the end of the contest draws near, or too much time has passed.
If we need to, we can go back a stage, or extend stages depending on the overall contest duration.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Holofox
Slime

Post by Holofox »

I think Im going to skip this one... I'd like to try but I don't 100% understand how this works, and I'm starting to really focus on my very first ohrrpgce game. I need to complete something first before I commit to anything else, but good luck with your collaboration everyone :)
Last edited by Holofox on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I finished stage 1... finally. :D
VirtuousSword, you're working on stage 1 at the moment?
So, let us know when you've finished stage 1, and we'll start stage 2.

For Stage 2:
MorpheusKatanami sends the game file folder to marionline.
marionline sends the game file folder to VirtuousSword.
VirtuousSword sends the game file folder to MorpheusKatanami.

(If it can not be send by pm, upload it on the game list and send the link.)

Then we work on stage 2 for a week.
Attachments
overview list
overview list
circle_collab.png (169.89 KiB) Viewed 4004 times