OHR Essentials

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

OHR Essentials

Post by Mogri »

Hello. It is time for an award ceremony of a sort. Been awhile since we just did a "Top X Games" list.

That's not exactly what this is, though.

What is this, exactly

Let's come up with a small list of "OHR Essentials" -- games that someone who's never heard of the engine before can play and get a pretty good idea of what's what. To that end, we want to meet the following criteria:
  • The game is high-quality. Pretty obviously, any collection of "essentials" should be made up of good games.
  • You have played it recently. The definition of "recently" is up to you, just like we're not going to strictly define what is a good game, but the principle here is that while Memoria was a really good game when it was released, it's old enough to drive now, and I have no idea if it holds up. It probably doesn't. Let's stick to games that do.
We are notably not concerned with the following criteria:
  • Game length. If it's the best five-minute game you've ever played, then it qualifies.
  • Completeness. Because, let's be honest, there are not a ton of complete OHR games.
  • What kind of game it is. Ideally, we'd have a mix of traditional and less-traditional games, but we aren't going to deny a game a position on the list just because it is or isn't an RPG.
  • When the game was released. If you replay Memoria and find that it does in fact hold up, please do nominate it.

How we do this

First, play some OHR games. This is an important step and not one we have historically been as good about as our fellow authors deserve.

Second, nominate any and all games you feel are worth making the cut. The first phase of this project will consist strictly of nominations. Let's avoid steering the discussion towards whether a given title deserves the nomination. We can sort that out in the next phase.

Many games do not get the exposure they deserve, and therefore it can be hard for some games to reach a critical mass of nominations. If you feel especially strongly about a game, you may super-nominate it to ensure it a spot on the ballot. I am not limiting super-nominations at the moment. Please use them sparingly.

After I cut off nominations (maybe at the end of August), I'll compile a ballot consisting of the games with the most nominations as well as any super-nominations. I will try to keep the ballot to a reasonable size. You will be invited to play all of the games on the list, discuss them, and vote for what you think should make the cut. The exact details will be announced when we get to that phase.

And then what

Once we've identified a list of essentials, they will receive the "essential" tag on the gamelist. I will consider adding a section to the homepage to showcase a random "essential" game. We will pop open a bottle of champagne and celebrate. You will need to provide your own bottle of champagne. Please celebrate responsibly.
Last edited by Mogri on Mon May 13, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Not been here long, nor played many of the games, but here are my tentative submissions:

Super Nominate:
- Xoo Xeno Safari

Nominations:
- Void Pyramid
- Spooks & Summons
- Vikings of Midgard

Honourable Mentions
- Bale
- Festivus
- Labyrinthillium
- The Successor's Legacy
- Wandering Hamster
- Walthrus
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

This is an excellent idea! A list like this is just what I've wanted. How many games do you want to receive this honour? I think there are an awful lot of games that deserve to be recognised for stand-out quality. But you want just the best of the best?

You did seem to state a third criterion, but didn't list it: that people not familiar with the engine or community would also think that these are good games. Which devalues joke games and games impressively mainly for pushing the engine. For example, I won't nominate Shooter Game.

I'm going to start by nominating just a few games, but will add many, many more later. I don't want to nominate stuff I haven't played recently.

Sleepover (2010)

Void Pyramid (2016)

Andy and Ollie Save Christmas (2016)

Devs Like Waffles (2015)

Motrya (2013)

The Death of Von Stabbingmore (2012)

Sword of Jade (2005)

Samanthuel's Lovely Home (2014)

Owlbears (2017)

1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart (2017)

(Sword: I realise you didn't nominate it, but did you mean Walthros rather than Walthrus?)
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Agreed. This is a great idea.

I'm going to sketch my list, add to it, revise it, change it, and move things around as I see fit. So, check this post often to see if your game has been added or taken away!

Not going to super-nominate yet. Will do that after I finish my working list, and after I make sure I'm not misremembering the awesomeness of a terrible game.

Nominees (so far), in no particular order:

Wandering Hamster
Void Pyramid
Ramble Planet
Mr. Triangle's Adventure
Surfasaurus
Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy (unreleased, but awesome, and will definitely belong on this list when it's publicly available)
Slimes! (Spoonweaver's game, now called Slimeomancy, not the A* pathfinding game, though I imagine that'll be worth a nomination once it's released)
Spellshard
C.Kane
Dungeonmen: Men of Dungeons
Baconthulhu

To be continued....
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote:How many games do you want to receive this honour? I think there are an awful lot of games that deserve to be recognised for stand-out quality. But you want just the best of the best?
I don't want to limit it to a specific number. If a game deserves recognition, it should get it.

That said, I also don't want to overwhelm people when it comes time to vote. The more games that make the ballot, the less likely everyone is to play them all.

Games that are not available on the gamelist can't actually receive any of the rewards from this. Please feel free to nominate those games anyway, but they will probably not be on the official ballot.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Gosh, there are so many that deserve nominations, I'm not sure where to begin. I'll start with voting for ones already here to give support where I know it's due.

-Xoo Xeno Safari
-Void Pyramid
-Ramble Planet
-Bale
-Festivus
-Labyrinthillium
-The Successor's Legacy
-Devs Like Waffles
-Motrya
-Samanthuel's Lovely Home
-1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart
-Surfasaurus

And then some others I feel were missed so far

-Entrepreneur: The Beginning
-Macabre
-Dungeon Bout
-witch.rpg
-Paladin Traducer
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I am going to nominate almost all the games that have done Android releases.

(I might do other nominations later)

batmanandrobin
catinbox
ckane
clamdigger
ghoststowns
graffitigoose
horsegame
motrya
rambleplanet
scarespree
slimeomancy
surfasaurus
sword-of-jade
timtim
triangleadventure
vikings-of-midgard
voidpyramid
walthros
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

(Not that it matters for nominations, but a number of those games don't seem to be on Android anymore... including Tim-Tim, surprisingly?)

I'll continue nominating games not on SS, since this is a great proxy to a top games vote, which we haven't had in a while.
That said, I also don't want to overwhelm people when it comes time to vote. The more games that make the ballot, the less likely everyone is to play them all.
Everyone wouldn't play all the games anyway -- even a small collection of RPGs would quickly sum to hundreds of hours. But hopefully people have already played a number of those games, and will play more as a result.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

TMC wrote:(Not that it matters for nominations, but a number of those games don't seem to be on Android anymore... including Tim-Tim, surprisingly?)
Actually, I think Tim-Tim never was on Google Play. it was only released on Ouya and maybe Gamestick?

It requires ALL the buttons on the OUYA controller, so it would have been impossible to play on touch-screen, even with the max of 6 virtual buttons enabled.

Still, my nomination of it stands :)
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

thank you for the nominees.

And, as I see that Pepsi nominated Slimes! with the addition of a comment I'd like to point out that I renamed Slimes! to Slimeomancy for this very reason. Slimes! was a very over used game name.

My list would be ::
DON'T EAT SOAP! An Educational Game Starring Bob the Hamster
Motrya (Chapter Two)
Void Pyramid
Spellshard: The Black Crown of Horgoth
Wandering Hamster
Devs Like Waffles
Ghost's Towns
DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons
Bob the Hamster in the Crypt of Baconthulhu

I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting....
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Spoonweaver wrote:And, as I see that Pepsi nominated Slimes! with the addition of a comment I'd like to point out that I renamed Slimes! to Slimeomancy for this very reason. Slimes! was a very over used game name.
Oops, yeah, I saw that shortly after I posted the nominations, and then forgot to go back and change it. But, yes, I mean Slimeomancy.

(You should totally make a sequel now that we have pathfinding...)

I've been busy, so I haven't had a chance to review my list or to update it. I'm still busy. Hopefully soon I'll be able to finish the list.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Super nominations:
T4R4D1DDL3

Nominations:
Don't Eat Soap
Surlaw Armageddon
Vampire's Curse
Vikings of Midgard
Void Pyramid
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

We are nearing the originally suggested cutoff for first round nominations, so it's time for an announcement: we will cut off nominations when it has been a week since the last new nomination.

Please continue to play games and nominate anything deserving.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Here's a few that didn't make other lists...

Oke Doke
Dragon Bustier
Castle on the Night Land
Powerstick Man
Bloodlust
Super Amazing Blue Ball Game
Tales of the New World 1
Darkmoor Dungeon

Spellshard is still the best though!
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'll definitely be nominating many more games; sorry for not giving this attention. I hope to see more people take part!

Willy, you're not meant to limit nominations to only games that haven't been already. The games that receive multiple nominations proceed to the next round!
Last edited by TMC on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.