almost stable release: release candidate!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Does your game run okay in the wip builds? Test and let me know! :)

Works great!
36%
I only tested a little, seems okay
36%
I tested and found a small problem
9%
I tested and found a big problem
9%
Everything is crashing! It's all broken! Thank god I saved a backup!
9%

Total votes: 11

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I really like the new improvements, especially mouse control..
My CUSTOM crashes when I try to switch the gfx back end.

edit: rather, the program hangs/freezes. I tried switching the back end with Ctrl-F8 again but nothing happens, and the window can be resized but the contents are not updated

EDIT: using Ubuntu
Last edited by SwordPlay on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hmm, OK, I guess I'll just hide that option until/if it can be sorted out. What OS are you using?

I made menu items not highlight when the mouse is off the window.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Is there anybody out there who hasn't tested a current nightly wip build? I am getting eager to call it a Release Candidate.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

(I could just leave in the option to switch backend, with a big warning that it may crash)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

TMC wrote:(I could just leave in the option to switch backend, with a big warning that it may crash)
That sounds fine. Should get us plenty of testing feedback, while adjusting expectations that it isn't always going to work :)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Okay, I am now declaring the current nightly builds to be "release candidates"

That means that they are more or less the same as what will become the dwimmercrafty stable release, possibly as soon as next thursday!

Also, tmc, I know you are still busy-- is there anything special related to the git-svn bridge that I need to do when I branch /rel/dwimmercrafty ? Is it automatically going to add that subversion branch as a git branch? Or do I need to wait for you to manually add that branch to git?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I got back from Australia two days ago. So less busy, but still pretty busy for a few more days. I'll finish off a few more bugfixes.

Any new svn rel/* branches should be automatically added as new git branches by git-svn.

This thread hasn't seen much activity, but behind the scenes some other bugs were reported, and fixed by James.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

I'm using a relatively recent nightly, but not the most recent. I'm also still using the software at a pretty superficial level (there are features I'm not using), but so far it's been working fine as far as I can tell.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

The white border thing is still occurring, under these conditions:

A Windows Aero theme is enabled in Windows 7
Border Padding setting in Personalize is more than 0 (it's 4 by default)
sdl graphics backend is used (doesn't occur with directx or fb)

This is Custom with directx:

And Custom with sdl:
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

What happens when you resize the window? Or switch to fullscreen and then back to windowed? Does the border disappear? If you make the window slightly larger and then return to the original size, is the window size reported as 320x200, or something else? That looks like 324x204.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

If the window is moved, resized, put into fullscreen or pretty much anything, the line border goes away.

Is there a hotkey that shows the screen resolution? Or does it show up in a debug log?

EDIT: cdebug.txt says the screen resolution is 640x400.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/26uncme567sp7 ... g.txt?dl=0
Last edited by Foxley on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Thanks. There's no such hotkey.

Is anyone else using Windows Vista+ (especially with the Aero glass window borders)? Does this occur for you or doesn't it?

I looked at the SDL changelog for fixes, and I doubt there. Maybe setting the window size to 320x200 another time would fix it (although it's already done 3 times!), but that could cause other glitches. So I'm inclined to leave it as it is for now, but switch back to gfx_directx at the next release.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I'm thinking this thursday for the stable release

The only thing on my list of must-get-done before then is to clean up the distrib scripts to make sure I am properly building and uploading both the linux 32bit and 64bit versions of the stable release.

Yesterday I snuck in a small visual improvement to all bitset editors:

That should hopefully eliminate any confusion about which bits are on/off when using the mouse.

Mouse support is still quote incomplete and experimental, but I am happy we have made progress on it.

The other day I was testing changing integer values with right-click + mousewheel. I was skeptical when I read that one in the changelog, but it actually feels pretty natural.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

That should hopefully eliminate any confusion about which bits are on/off when using the mouse.
fanTASTic. That looks so much better. One of my complaints about the mouse functionality was that when you were using the keyboard, the mouse highlighting just gets in the way, even if you move it off the window.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

kylekrack wrote:.... the mouse highlighting just gets in the way, even if you move it off the window.
TMC fixed that already, when the mouse is off the window, there should not be any mouse highlight anymore