almost stable release: release candidate!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Does your game run okay in the wip builds? Test and let me know! :)

Works great!
36%
I only tested a little, seems okay
36%
I tested and found a small problem
9%
I tested and found a big problem
9%
Everything is crashing! It's all broken! Thank god I saved a backup!
9%

Total votes: 11

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

almost stable release: release candidate!

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Please test nightly builds wip builds if you are not doing so already.

We would like to release the next stable ohrrpgce version (dwimmercrafty) soon.

I won't talk at any length here about new features, but I am really interested in any bugs that anybody can find before the end of this month.

http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nightly/

EDIT: the current nightly builds are now "release candidates" They will be essentially the same as the dwimmercrafty stable release (unless y'all find some bugs for me to fix!)

EDIT: release happened, here is the thread: https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130662
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

On Mac, when I hit command+4, the window isn't centered onscreen. Not a big issue, but it's a little annoying. The screenshot attached shows exactly what I mean. That's what happens when I open custom and press command+4, without touching anything else.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 12.53.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 12.53.41 PM.png (365.29 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Might just be linux, but I can't use the debug key F11 to walk through walls, as it just alternates between full screen.

Everything else works great :)
Last edited by guo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I know that I disabled or remapped several KDE window manager keys because they clashed with OHRRPGCE F# or Ctrl+F# keys.
I have Alt+F11 mapped to fullscreen.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

As an alternative to F11 you can also press F8 and pick that option from the menu
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There are some significant changes in the last week:

On Windows, SDL_mixer.dll was updated and switched to use modplug instead of mikmod to play module file formats (.it/.xm/.mod/.s3m). Mikmod had a bunch of bunch of problems playing various files. So some module music will now sound different. See if this is a problem for you. Mac builds still use mikmod, but that will change in future too. On Unix/Linux we have no control over it since we don't distribute SDL_mixer.

On Windows, Custom now defaults to gfx_sdl instead of gfx_directx, so watch out for any problems caused by that. Game still defaults to gfx_directx. You can premanently switch graphics backend by pressing Ctrl-F8. I would be really keen to know whether switching backend with Ctrl-F8 works for you, or just causes the program to crash or do something strange. However currently it resets window size, fullscreen state, mouse size and other backend settings.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I will for sure test out some .IT files on the nightly when I get a chance.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

So here's something weird. I have a script that calls text box 512, with a wait for box straight after. There are no other text boxes that should be called, nor does 512 have any boxes linked to it, but it always calls text box 0 (template) after 512. If I substitute any other text box into the script this doesn't occur.

Bizarre.

Edit: I fixed it by having box 512 call box 513 next. It only seems to happen if box 512 doesn't call anything after box advance.
Last edited by guo on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

The sound quality is much better, and it even supports some Modplug specific features like low pass filter and filter resonance that Mikmod sure as hell didn't do. Samples don't click/scratch/skip as much as Mikmod. Overall a huge improvement.

One thing I notice though is that there's about a 0.75 second long pause before the song loops, and this doesn't happen with .MID or .OGG files. Just discovered this can be gotten around by just putting a "Position Jump to 0" command at the very end of the track, but it's still pretty annoying. Not sure if it's easily fixed on your end or not.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Another thing I noticed, probably since the graphics backend got changed: When starting CUSTOM, there is a white border around the window. If the window is changed to fullscreen, maximized or resized, then the white border goes away.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

guo wrote:So here's something weird. I have a script that calls text box 512, with a wait for box straight after. There are no other text boxes that should be called, nor does 512 have any boxes linked to it, but it always calls text box 0 (template) after 512. If I substitute any other text box into the script this doesn't occur.

Bizarre.

Edit: I fixed it by having box 512 call box 513 next. It only seems to happen if box 512 doesn't call anything after box advance.
This sometimes happens for me when I have a text box linked to another and then change it so that it's no longer linked. Not every time, though.

Other issues:
-Mouse highlighting: I wish menu items would not be highlighted if I don't have an active mouse cursor on the screen in Custom. The default "text is highlighted" color is way too close to the shade of gray used to say something has been selected, so I thought I had turned a certain bitset on but actually hadn't, it was just the mouse selection idling on top of that option.

-Text boxes: If you delete characters from the Text Search field, it now deletes a digit from the text box number you're currently looking at.

Also, this is on a nightly from about two weeks ago I believe.
Attachments
Looks like "Do not display demage" is enabled, but it's actually just mouse highlighting from an off-screen cursor.
Looks like "Do not display demage" is enabled, but it's actually just mouse highlighting from an off-screen cursor.
kaiju0120.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Text box search glitch
Text box search glitch
kaiju0121.gif (55.57 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Dang. Did the same problem with looping not happen when using mikmod? I assume this is because SDL_mixer is handling the looping instead of letting modplug do it (if it even has an option for infinite looping). Its looping implementation for each music format each started out really broken and over the years they fixed numerous problems.
BTW, if you press F3 in the Import Music menu you get a page of ModPlug playback settings. This settings aren't saved anywhere, they're just for playing around with. Conceivably we could expose these and even let you change them on a per-song basis, but the person playing the game may not necessarily be using the same music backend.

White bars around around the screen: that's surprising. Is it the window frame itself that's white? Could you post a screenshot?
guo wrote:Edit: I fixed it by having box 512 call box 513 next. It only seems to happen if box 512 doesn't call anything after box advance.
I have no idea how that could happen! Could you possibly email one of us a broken version of your game? (If you remove box 513 again, does it go back to being acting strangely?) Don't just sweep bugs under the rug!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I just managed to reproduce the textbox bug that guo and the wobbler report where box 0 appears after a box that has "After: None Selected"

EDIT: <s>I'll let you know when I have it fixed.</s> Fixed! download tomorrow's nightly build!

I was able to reproduce it by setting up a tag-based "After" box in the "Conditionals" menu, and then deleting it from the "After:" field in the main text box editor menu. This would set the box number to 0, but it would not get rid of the conditional.

I fixed it my making sure that box 0 is never used for an "After" (or "Instead") text box, even if a tag check succeeds.

Thank you for reporting it!

EDIT2: I fixed the bug with backspace on the "Text Search" field too. The others will have to wait until later when I have more time. Please keep reporting any bugs you find! :)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

How is a free game engine better supported than most multi million dollar AAA software? I love you guys.
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The Wobbler wrote:-Mouse highlighting: I wish menu items would not be highlighted if I don't have an active mouse cursor on the screen in Custom.
Oh, I didn't notice this reply until James mentioned it. Being aware of whether the mouse cursor is over the window or not something that I wanted to implement - doing that now. Not just for menu item highlighting; any menu that shows a mouse cursor currently shows a phantom cursor when you move the mouse way.
In general mouse support in Custom is still quite incomplete.