Do you remember that Genesis game

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

charbile
Metal Slime

Do you remember that Genesis game

Post by charbile »

was image searching and came across what looked like an ohr screenshot, had to click. found about this...

They wrote a post-mortem on their ohr game: LEARNING FROM GENESIS

Is interesting, tell me if this list of mistakes sounds familiar:
  • Creating Lofty Goals
    Killing Our Babies
    Developing in Community
    Striving for Polish
But wait, there's more. They're also another successful kickstarter developer: Arcadian Atlas - Tactical RPG Inspired by Classics

sorry if they or someone already posted this. the kickstarter seems to have been around May 2016.

is neat finding ohr alumni. there seems to be quite a lot. do you feel your ohrer pride swelling? you come from a proud warrior race
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh! Nice find!
Not long ago (I think) I actually came across some similar (less substantial) posts by one of the authors showing some old Genesis screenshots on tumblr. But I can't find it back (most un-searchable game name ever; don't make that mistake!) And maybe I confused it with Crescent Dream.
I see there are at least a couple other blog entries where they've posted Genesis screenshots (no discussion though)
The community is of paramount importance, and when we were creating Genesis we simply didn’t listen enough.
I seem to remember Genesis development being pretty secretive, with maybe two demos posted in total. Maybe I missed some preview, but aside from that I didn't know anything about it.

So, apparently, that Kickstarter ended successfully (what is it with modern webpages and hiding all dates?) It's great to see that they're still making games, and this time with funding. It grieves me that Genesis didn't make it very far -- obviously, the graphics were awesome.
That RPG engine was called the OHRRPGCE, which is still available today (though the latest version was put out in 2013, so it’s sort of tapered off)
We really need to quit with the long release cycles!
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

That's cool. That's actually extremely cool that they've stayed together as bro and sis in business all the way from OHR days forward. Rebecca did the original title screen for Sword of Jade, although I no longer possess it unless some has been keeping random old copies of Jade around.

I used to follow all their posts on Genesis back in the day
Last edited by FyreWulff on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, so there were updates posted about the game. I'm not too surprised that I missed them.

According to the blog for their new game, they've been joined as game-making duo by Rebecca's husband.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.