Please talk to me about OHRRPGCE on Linux

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

guo
Metal Slime

Please talk to me about OHRRPGCE on Linux

Post by guo »

Hi guys,

I have just received a tiny russian eeepc and managed to get a variant of ubuntu running (easypeasy).
I have downloaded the latest nightly build for linux but I can't seem to get the darned thing to run. I'm fairly new to linux, can anybody please give me a quick rundown?

Much appreciated.
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It's likely that you don't have SDL 1.2 and SDL_mixer 1.2 installed; I don't think they are by default on ubuntu.

Open a terminal of some sort and run
sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2
That will ask you for your root password, and should install SDL and possibly many other things too since SDL_mixer depends on it.

Since it's a tiny PC I assume it's a 32 bit machine, but if it's 64 bit then you'll want to download a 64 bit linux nightly build (not available for Callipygous)

If if still doesn't run, run ohrrpgce-game from a terminal and you'll probably get an error message.
If you installed from a .deb file then it'll be installed system-wide and "ohrrpgce-game" will work. If yuo just extracted a .tar.gz then you need to type the path to the executable, or "./ohrrpgce-game" in the current directory
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Getting "command not found" when trying to run either custom or game in the terminal. I have the tar.gz for SDL-mixer1.2 though, what do I need to do after extracting the folder? The terminal command you gave didn't seem to do anything.

Regards.
Last edited by guo on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Huh? A tar.gz for SDL-mixer1.2? Did you download it from libsdl.org? That would be the source code. You wouldn't be able to compile that without installing a bunch of stuff. Use the sudo apt-get command I gave you instead.
I think you probably mean you downloaded http://hamsterrepublic.com/dl/ohrrpgce- ... 86.tar.bz2

Simply double clicking on the ohrrpgce-game and ohrrpgce-custom files in the extracted folder should work.

Hint: if you install a .deb file instead, it'll install menu items.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Thanks TMC. I think my problems are a bit more deep seated - the apt-get command doesn't seem to be working properly. I'm workin' on it.
vvight.wordpress.com
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Turns out the distribution I had installed (EasyPeasy) was out of date and couldn't find the repositories. Currently installing the latest version of Lubuntu. Bit of a shame as EasyPeasy was designed for EEEPcs and I found it quite elegant.
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

You can config which repositories it uses; as a ubuntu derivative I would assume it uses the ubuntu repositories in addition to the easypeasy-specific ones. But I think Canonical moved the repositories for old distributions, as my netbook which has an old Lubuntu can no long install anything with apt-get either. I've never put in the time to figure out how to fix the config (I don't really understand how it all works).

We ought to provide ohrrpgce-game packages which include SDL and SDL_mixer so that they don't depend on them being installed. I guess we could do the same for ohrrpgce-custom.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I've the same problem with lubuntu I set up on an old netbook recently.
I haven't tried yet, but think, it's possible to download a newer version from the lbuntu website.

Do you guys have magazines about linux over there you live?
Here in Germany they often come with linux cds that can be booted easily,
so one can test the OS before installing or install it from the CD without download.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Finally got it working on Lubuntu. Thanks for your help :)
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Great.

I've heard of those magazines in other countries, but not around here.
Still, there's a strong GNU/Linux community here, and the linux.conf.au conference, one of the biggest and longest running in the world, was even held at my university two years ago. Linus reviewed comments he'd made at L.C.A 10 years earlier.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Lubuntu is a dream. I love it. Great having a dedicated "workstation" for the OHRRPGCE aswell - I've configured everything to be shortcuts to what I need: plotscripting dictionary, pixel art apps, music software, scripting etc. Wunderbar.
vvight.wordpress.com
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

Yeah, we don't really have a magazine industry here in the US anymore.. (they're still around, just like, 90% ads) and not any I can think anymore that include discs.

When you download Ubuntu, though, it defaults to being a Live CD for about the past.. 6 years?
Last edited by FyreWulff on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

It's easy enough to mount the distribution's .iso onto a usb drive and boot from that. CDs are obsolete!
vvight.wordpress.com
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

guo wrote:Great having a dedicated "workstation" for the OHRRPGCE aswell - I've configured everything to be shortcuts to what I need: plotscripting dictionary, pixel art apps, music software, scripting etc. Wunderbar.
This right here is such a good idea in general. If OHRRPGCE could compile to Raspbian/ARM I would totally build a dedicated OHRRPGCE workstation as a personal project. Trying to develop games on the same machine I use for gaming and socializing is really inefficient.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

S'orlock Reaves got the ohrrpgce working on a Raspberry Pi.

His notes are here: https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... or_Android
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.