Review of Blackeagle

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Review of Blackeagle

Post by SwordPlay »

GRAPHICS
Quite decent, and I wish there were more enemies, who were by far the most interesting part of encounters.
Unfortunately this was offset by actual combat being rather same-y, with little visual effects to differentiate them.
I liked the battle backgrounds too and they were evocative.
Alternately laughing and crying at enemies who were at once so freakish, grotesque yet fascinating in both design and concept.
Sprites had a great exaggerated, cartoon-y feel which contrasted nicely with backdrops and tiles.
The portrait graphics seemed to be the worst, but there were still some good ones there, and they were very expressive.

COMBAT
I have no idea what any of the attacks do. There seems to be quite a lot of weapons though.
Could have used captions for elucidation of these matters, or just to insert witty catchphrases in combat.
Combat was impenetrably dense and incomprehensible. I ended up holding down 'attack'.
Still, battle were interesting and piqued my curiosity, although some enemies seemed to have far too much health and were stubborn to die once I had exhausted my special attacks.
In future, perhaps you could divide up combat options in a more straight-forward manner?
Combat, if it was nuanced, required exposition/explanation, which was lacking.

SOUND
I think this could benefit from some work, starting with a change of instruments. Some potential to become quite good. It actually didn't hurt my ears and was tolerable, but I still don't think I'd like to listen to it for long periods.
A decent effort.

DESIGN
That forest is too large, and possibly needs shortcuts or some stuff to break up the monotony. Too much fighting taking too much time and was fatiguing.
Maps had questionable design using too much space and not enough details.
Still, it retains it's visually distinct design/style which adds to its charm rather than detracts from it.
Too much "following the path" in my opinion.
There was not much side content (that I know of), which is a shame, because it probably would have been hilarious.
Cutscenes were rendered decently well.
I personally would have liked to see more lore and info/flavour everywhere.

PLOT/STORY
Absolutely amazing, in a sort of z-movie trash so-bad-its-good kind of thing.
It seems to have genuine points and concerns, yet sweeps them away under ridiculous and farcical circumstances. I would like to see these themes elaborated on, yet, at the same time, I am afraid for my sanity.
Dialogue and story were decent and caught my attention.
Characters feel distinct and well fleshed out, with notable personality traits and features, which many game-makers would struggle to portray.
I enjoyed seeing what each character had to say (mostly)
Although, not strictly "horrible" or "terrible", it left something to be desired.
However, its unabashed and straight-forward nature is more charming than anything. The content is fantastically offensive though.
Great characters, dialogue, story and narrative design!
Art is a laudable effort and enjoyable! I would like to see more.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.