BMR's Adventure Game Dev-Log

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

BMR
Metal King Slime

BMR's Adventure Game Dev-Log

Post by BMR »

Yeah, so thought I'd do a little dev-log of sorts here. Who knows if I'll finish a game. Main things I want to be able to accomplish here are a few ideas that have been kicking around in my head for making an adventure game. If I finish a game, that'll be a bonus, heh.
Last edited by BMR on Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Day 01

Right, so I'm going to repurpose the script I made for that isometric demo and I plan to use it for moving a character around the screen, LucasArts/Sierra adventure game style.

So far, I've gotten the first sprite done, and I'll use her to start putting together an engine of sorts to move the player. Not quite sure how I'll script it yet, but I'm leaning towards using the mouse to point and click where you want to go. If that doesn't pan out, maybe keyboard movement, but I really don't want to go that route.

ImageImageImageImage

8 frames
25+1 colors
80px × 100px
Last edited by BMR on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well! Going all-out, I see!
Soule X
Red Slime

Post by Soule X »

I've always wanted to make this type of game. The only thing I wouldn't be able to do, I think, is draw those crazy backgrounds. That would take forever!
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Soule X wrote:I've always wanted to make this type of game. The only thing I wouldn't be able to do, I think, is draw those crazy backgrounds. That would take forever!
Which is why I'm not going to draw those backgrounds. Instead, I'm going to be the lazy slime that I am and just build the 3D environment and render them out. Heh, laziness, always fun =p

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Do you plan on superimposing your rendered backdrops onto a map, and using regular passability walls or zones?

or are you going to put your backdrops in slice collections, and mark the walkable and unwalkable areas with hidden slices?
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Do you plan on superimposing your rendered backdrops onto a map, and using regular passability walls or zones?

or are you going to put your backdrops in slice collections, and mark the walkable and unwalkable areas with hidden slices?
I'm not entirely sure yet. For the isometric demo I linked previously, what I did was to have a script load all of the backdrop slices. Then, I had it create a bunch of rect slices to mark the unwakable areas. To be completely honest, I never got the hang of using the slice collection editor, and I always just use scripts to load and position everything. I really should learn how to use it.

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Something about the rhythm of that gif reminds me of like.. Saturday Night Fever and John Travolta. It's got a real strut quality to it.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Soule X wrote:I've always wanted to make this type of game. The only thing I wouldn't be able to do, I think, is draw those crazy backgrounds. That would take forever!
Agreed. That would take some real artistry. I feel like 2D point-and-click adventures are probably the most asset-intensive games out there. Don't forget about all those character animations.

BMR's plan to render the backgrounds is solid.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soule X
Red Slime

Post by Soule X »

I think using the built in walls would work pretty well. It would be easy to see against the background anyway