Flavor Text Adventure Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

FnrrfYgmSchnish in the Dear Old People thread wrote:I also remember making a game with a town called "Biggiefries" (...that's basically all I remember of this one, I don't think I got much of this one done) and one with Yoshi in it, but I don't remember anything about it aside from being able to accidentally burn yourself to death if you checked a hot stove in a kitchen somewhere (which would give you the message "ouch! stove hot 'n' roasty!" and do 1 HP of damage) -- I don't think this one ever got finished.
When I read this quote in the "Dear Old People: Old Game Talk" thread, it triggered an idea that has lingered beneath the surface of my brain for some time that says we need more pure adventure games on the OHR.

When we play RPGs, we expect to save villages, kill monsters, and grow our stats to levels after endless battles with slimes that would translate to mega superpowers, if our experiences were anything similar in real life. Sometimes that means hitting the "use" key and ingesting whatever the game tells us to ingest. Our only real sense of choice is to walk where we want to walk and interact with whatever hides an NPC. The rest is scripted. There's some adventure there, but no real sense of danger or victory. Not at the map level, at any rate.

With side-scrollers, we often get the reverse of that. The environment puts us in constant danger, but the story's progress rarely develops in the action--we usually have to watch it unfold in cut scenes, or sometimes not at all. The adventure is a catharsis for beating up on evil. There isn't much to learn from it.

The adventure game can meld both forms together to create a compelling narrative that still rewards a player's choice (or punishes him). But even present-day point-and-click games are funneled through a narrative and, while a bit more open, still remains contained by the story's arc and not by the player's choice.

So, I'd like to propose a brief sidebar from our regular activities to fill Slime Salad with a glut of new, short games that put the emphasis on puzzles, exploration, and adventure based on the player's choices and discoveries.

I'd like to propose the Flavor Text Adventure Contest.

What is it?

Its purpose is to advance the narrative by promoting player choice, where items may reveal multiple interactions and consequences, positive or negative. Its purpose is to reward exploration or punish it. Its purpose is to give its designers a canvas for telling a branching narrative with multiple endings. Its purpose is to elevate the player's options for choice.

What are the expectations?

Yes, we'll consider this section the rules.

One of the elements that breathes life into an adventure RPG is its interaction with objects, what we now call "flavor text." A solid adventure title will be full of flavor text. But here's the rub, and this brings us back to the quote from FnrrfYgmSchnish above, the flavor text, although can at times be singular and constant, should be fit with an interactive menu that gives the player interactive options. Taking the above example, let's consider this scenario:

The Standard Way:

Protagonist approaches the oven. Protagonist "uses" oven. Protagonist takes one-point in damage.

The Flavor Text Adventure Way:

Protagonist approaches the oven. Protagonist "uses" oven. Choice menu appears:

-Look at Oven
-Touch Oven
-Place Item in Oven
-Stick Head in Oven
-Open Oven
-Punch Oven
-Test Oven Temperature
-Use Oven

Depending on selection, a new series of choices may appear:

-Look at Oven
"The oven is old. It's possible the kitchen was constructed around it. The wiring is faulty. I'd be afraid to use it."

-Touch Oven
(if off)
"The oven feels like rust wants to escape to the surface and infect its body. I wonder if I should call someone to get rid of it."
(if on)
"The electricity pouring through its body is now entering my body. Never mind the food it cooks; it's cooking me. I shouldn't have touched it. I might die. This is all in my head of course. I can't speak."

-Place Item in Oven
Opens another menu full of active inventory.

-Stick Head in Oven
"Yep, I don't know what else to do, so I'm going to end my adventure. Sigh. I hope whoever finds me knows what to do with a cooked head."
(game over)

-Open Oven
"Hmm, somebody left a roasted turkey in here. Thanksgiving was months ago."
(new options open for interacting with turkey)

-Punch Oven
"Satisfying!"
(Plays sound effect. Toughness goes up.)

-Test Oven Temperature
(if off)
"Room temperature."
(if on)
"Room temperature. Hmm, that's not right. Does this thing even work?"

-Use Oven
(item placed -- lose item temporarily)
"Okay, I hope I don't burn this."
(no item placed -- opens inventory menu)
"Maybe I should put something in it first."

You get the idea.

The main rule is to create an interactive environment that promotes choices and consequences. What you do with that is up to you.

Does it have to be an RPG?

No.

But I would recommend one of these four options:

-Tile-based adventure story in the vain of T4R4D1DDL3 or Castle on the Night Land

-Interactive text adventure like Bufanda: A Tale of Three Ghosts

-Parser or Mouse-based adventure like Space Quest

-The Interactive Storybook (or other interactive fiction types)

The games should be short, but have a point to them. If our usual games are novel-length, these games should be short stories or novelettes.

How will they be judged?

Average score, similar to how we do things in the Heart of the OHR contest.

When should they be finished?

I want to dialogue about this first, but I think the end of the month is reasonable. Maybe in July. No firm deadline yet. I don't want to encourage procrastination, so start now, do your best, and we can discuss deadlines based on interest and average production speed.

What do you guys think? Are you in or are you lame?

Oh, in the tradition of Heart of the OHR, you can recycle, rebuild, finish, or modify existing projects if you want. So, don't worry about file age. If you rerelease something that's already been finished, make sure we know which content is new.

Okay, so discuss.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Heh, on that note, that's actually one of the main things I've been trying to do with Legacy. You may have noticed the dialogue thing I demoed in one of the other threads, the main purpose of that was to allow that range of choices and whatnot.

This could be a pretty interesting contest, especially if limited to short games. My only worry though is, that having all those choices as in the example might be tricky to pull off for those who aren't familiar with scripting, seeing as how text boxes only present two choices. Sure, there are lots of ways to work around that, but it can get clunky and/or complex. Still, could be fun to do.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Sounds awesome! Is it okay to submit multiple entries?
I really wanna give this a go, it sounds like great fun!

EDIT: Is it okay to include gameplay mechanics from various genres? Such as mini-games or stats?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I approve of this contest! :D
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hurrah! Adventure games!

I wish I had time to compete. Maybe I will anyway, but in theory I'm too busy.

I've always been interested in learning how text adventure engines like Inform work, so this would be the excuse I've been waiting for.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

TMC wrote:I've always been interested in learning how text adventure engines like Inform work, so this would be the excuse I've been waiting for.
Inform is pretty spiffy, actually. I did play around with it some back in the day. Managed to get a decent-length game built, but never go around to releasing it. I know I still have it somewhere, but for the love of me I have no idea on which backup CD/DVD/HD it's on, heh.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

This is a weird coincidence, I was recently playing several of Bioware's RPGs, thinking about how little they offered in choice beyond a simplistic good/evil choice, and how just about anyone could do better than them. I think this contest will prove whether that's true or I'm just blowing hot air. As long as a game that's mostly about talking is okay, I'm in.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to use the new A* pathing to do a point and click style game. If I weren't currently scrambling to finish a game by monday I'd start now. Unfortunately, I won't be able to even think about doing something like this until... hmm, the 18th? I'd love to take part, however. I would like to test my scoping abilities and not try to make something huge this time.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

If anybody wants to use A* pathfinding for this contest, make sure you use a nightly from tomorrow or later (I just checked in another big performance improvement, which will be included in tonight's nightly build)

Also, although no proper plotscripting interface for pathfinding exists yet, tonight's nightly build will add the ability to do:

Code: Select all

alter npc(n, NPCstat:movetype, NPCmovetype:chaseyoupathfinding)
To switch an NPC into pathfinding mode, and of course, later you can stop them with:

Code: Select all

alter npc(n, NPCstat:movetype, NPCmovetype:standstill)
(also it is easy to change an NPC between moving and not moving with the "change npc id" command)

In this scenario you have to choose your pathing target by moving an invisible hero, and make an NPC be your hero instead... so kind of complicated, but doable.

(Real commands like "pathfind NPC to(n, x, y)" are coming in the future, but I don't know when I will have them ready)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I look forward to seeing those commands. I was trying to code Dijkstra's algorithm for Fear Tactics, but I'd much prefer to wait for in-engine pathfinding. I only got it halfway working and it's been so long I think my brain wouldn't be able to jump back into it.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Sounds awesome! Is it okay to submit multiple entries?
I really wanna give this a go, it sounds like great fun!

EDIT: Is it okay to include gameplay mechanics from various genres? Such as mini-games or stats?
Yes to all.

The main requirement is that it fits in the adventure genre (graphic, text, map exploration and discovery, parser or point-and-click, etc.). How you implement that is up to you. It doesn't even have to be on the OHR, though I strongly encourage it (unless you go the Interactive Storybook route, which I'd also strongly encourage; that needs more love).

I'd also prefer to see games that can be finished in under a couple of hours, though that's not really a rule, just a preference.

Try to make a game that will force the player to think or encourage the player to use his imagination.

Choices should play a major role in advancing the game.

Most importantly, it should be fun to play, and you should have fun making it.

I won't set a deadline until I have an idea how many want to join, and what the current development climate is for potential entrants. So, if you don't start today, it's not a problem. I'd expect to give each of you enough time to finish at least one well-developed short adventure. Prolific authors could probably crank out two or three.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts on game ideas (but don't give away secrets).
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Flavor text gets me real hot. Looking forward to seeing what people make with this contest.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

BMR wrote:
TMC wrote:I've always been interested in learning how text adventure engines like Inform work, so this would be the excuse I've been waiting for.
Inform is pretty spiffy, actually. I did play around with it some back in the day. Managed to get a decent-length game built, but never go around to releasing it. I know I still have it somewhere, but for the love of me I have no idea on which backup CD/DVD/HD it's on, heh.
Let me know if you find it. I enjoy IF and have toyed around Inform a little myself.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Willy Elektrix wrote:Flavor text gets me real hot. Looking forward to seeing what people make with this contest.
If the deadline is the end of July, I'll join. This month is way too crazy. I need some time if I am going to turn this game to 11.

I am going to use TWINE as an engine
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

End of July sounds like a reasonable deadline. Whatever it ends up being, it won't be the end of June. I'd like to see quality entries, nothing rushed. Probably won't stretch past August, though. We'll see.