Campaign :: The Dragon Slayers

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Campaign :: The Dragon Slayers

Post by Spoonweaver »

We join our adventurers in a dangerous dungeon. Having fallen victim to one trap after another, morale was low.
The cleric, Kamaron, was summoning in much needed equipment and reinforcements. His lantern archon teleported in and out of the dungeon bringing in supplies. However, it suddenly stop and appeared with only a hand written note.
It read ::

Code: Select all

Do not read this out loud. Leave that place now. The church knows of that place. You are being watched. It's all a trap. Leave now.
Startled by the news, the adventurers began to group together closer to the entrance of the dungeon. Then they saw the traps they had disarmed were beginning to repair themselves. This was enough to send Sigimund into the blizzard that was building up outside. It wasn't long before the whole group followed. They watched as the entrance to the dungeon that they had dug out from the mud and stone was rebuilt and the door closed. Slowly, the mound reformed to look just as the adventurers had first found it. Everyone was disheartened by the thought of starting over. After much debate, it was decided to leave that place.

In a deep dark part of the dungeon, the odd traveler scowled at the pitiful amount of victims the dungeon claimed after all the work he had done.

The group used the rations and supplies Karamon brought in to brave the storm and make their way back to town. Once there, they mostly parted ways. A few of them though, decided to stick together for the time being...

Slickens
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/pro ... ?cid=84244

Kamaron
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/pro ... ?cid=84239

Catt
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/pro ... ?cid=84247

Horace
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=27

"The duke has offered a million gold reward to anyone that can slay the dragon that attacked west town!" said Renold as she entered the tavern. She joined Slickens, Kamaron, Catt, and Horace at their table looking excited. "There are groups forming as I speak. Even with a group of 50 people we'd make out like bandits!"
The group thought about the reward. It was the first real opportunity that had come their way since that terrible tomb. The dragon wasn't even reported to be that large. The chance seemed too good to pass up. "We'll have to hurry though. With this kind of money involved, there's no tell who else might try to claim the prize."
Attachments
sword_169.png
sword_169.png (42.12 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Catt was unable to contain her excitement

"I slayed a dragon once!" She proclaims. Catt had never even seen a dragon.

"Well, it was a wyvern, actually" she amends, realizing her first lie had perhaps overreached. Catt wouldn't know the difference between a wyrm and a wyvern if it bit her on the arse.

"I was part of a team, actually. Didn't get to deliver the killing blow myself" she hedges further.

"There was dragon blood everywhere!" She feels safe with that one. She is almost positive dragons have blood.

"I'm definitely in! Who else is in?" she looks around at the others, giddy with anticipation.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Horace meditates on the merits of leaving the dungeon. Despite the evils present, even he admits it is best; it will take much more than curious treasure hunters and only a small band of able warriors to clear it out. Perhaps in the future when he is stronger, and testimony of the dangers spreads, a much larger band of Church warriors can be sent to hunt the demons.

That, and as of right now the tomb is only a threat to those that enter it.

Upon hearing about the dragon attacks, the urgency seems much more apparent. He agrees to participate in the quest, "Very well, we cannot see more civilization torn apart as with West Town."
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

OOC

Which town are we in right now? Back in West Town?

Also, how many days have passed?
Last edited by BMR on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Bouncing around with energy, now that his strength has returned, Slickens is glad to be talking about a new quest. A quest he can punch his way through! The little fellow is screeching and howling and running about practicing his jumps at full speed, from one empty table to another.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

A roar of sarcastic laughter erupts from a few tables down. Three armored human warriors seemed to have been listening in on the adventurers. The shorter of the three interjected in the adventurer's conversation, "We got a couple of dragon slayers over here boys." His comment garnered chuckles from a few other patrons of the tavern.
The adventurers recognized the warrior's tabards. They were part of the Purple Dragon guild. The guild had very recently started a local chapter of their guild in Tika-town. The were a very large guild back in the land of origin, but their strength in the Grand Duchey of Geoff was questionable.
"What's their plan, to throw the goblin at it?" joked the shortest Purple Dragon.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Unlike the others, Kamaron went his own way after leaving the tomb. He had a home and family (of sorts) to return to, after all. The journey was fairly tiring, but Kamaron was an experienced traveler, if nothing else. Similarly, his warhorse Pugsy was a veteran of the road, and even if he was well past his prime at 20, he was still a fairly reliable steed. At the pace he set, going through the night and using his magic to keep himself and Pugsy at their peak, he managed to reach home within a few days. There, on the outskirts of West Town, he could see the familiar sight of his farm come into view.

As he road in, his two hired guards noticed him and waved. The first, a half-orc named Urdag arBal, greeted him:

"Hey, boss, long time no see. So, how'd da expedition go?

Kamaron shook his head, saying: "Not too well. Used up a lot of my resources on the damned thing, and I'm out on my favorite pair of boots. Going to need to spend time making a new set once I can scrounge up the funds."

Urdag nodded. He was an adventurer at one time as well, but never really made it big. He had settled in to the life of a guard after being hired by Kamaron a decade or so back after having worked together guarding a caravan.

"Yeah, well dat's how it goes. Ya win some, Ya lose some."

"Yeah, indeed. Is the mistress around?"

"Yeah, over by the cows. Young Elsbeth is with her."

The one who spoke was his second guard, an elf named Earfel. He never learned his last name, despite having worked together on the caravans for some time. Like Urdag, he'd been hired to Kamaron's farm as a guard after Kam left the caravan-ing gig. He was much quieter than Urdag, and though not quite unsociable, was definitely more of a loner. He nodded and dismounted, handing the reins over to Urdag who set about unloading Pugsy and seeing him to the stables.

Kamaron went over the the cow pen, and sure enough Sandra was there with the youngest of his charges. He had rescued Elsbeth around eight years ago. He had found her abandoned in a barn while he was out on one of his jobs. Her parents were nowhere to be found, but considering his job at the time was to help provide relief for the plague that had hit the area, he could certainly guess what had happened to them. She was 14 now, and though he firmly stated that she was an employee in his care (and he paid her too) she spent just as much time running around getting into trouble as she did doing actual work on the farm.

He called out to Sandra, letting her know he was back. Elsbeth noticed him first and ran up to him.

"You're back! Did you bring me anything?"

Kamaron tossed her a chicken bone inscribed with runes. "Go have fun, it's water this time." She ran off in glee, ready to play some sort of prank on her adopted siblings, or perhaps one of the unfortunate villagers. It was a small trinket he'd made while on the road, and one that she was familiar with. Break the bone in two, toss the shards at something, and whatever was hit would be inundated by a gallon of water.

Sandra walked up to him, and saw the look on his face. The two had been together now for fourteen years, and while they maintained a strictly professional relationship with Kamaron as the boss and her as his manager/secretary, just about everyone thought of them as husband and wife. And over the years, she could tell at a glance how things went.

"Disaster, huh?"

"Yeah. Word came from the Temple that we should leave immediately. I'm guessing they have plans for an all-out assault, sooner or later. Best thing to do was to cut my losses, regroup, and figure something else out.

She nodded, it wasn't the first time something like this had happened before.

"Come on inside, I'll get one of the children to make some food."

For the next few weeks, Kamaron spent time on the farm, doing daily chores, spending time with the children, enchanting magical trinkets, etc... It was boring, but it was peaceful. Still, peaceful didn't pay the bills, nor did it do much towards getting that second house for the children built. The eldest, Khadijeh, a Baklunish native like him, had just turned 18 last summer and he wanted her to inherit the farm sooner or later. She was already getting along well with the business side of things, having learned a lot from Sandra. Still, she had much to learn about the outside world.

Kamaron then began to prepare a small caravan of sorts, loading up cheese and a few of the trinkets he had made. He was an established and respected merchant in West Town, but branching out wouldn't be a bad idea. And it would be good for Khadi to experience life in other villages. Sandra was all for it, the entire idea being something she had been pushing for years. Kamaron had been opposed to the idea for some time, being the paranoid old coot that he was. Still, things change, and time waits for no one.

On the day of their departure, Kamaron saddled up Pugsy once more, getting all the gear together. Kamaron would head the mini-caravan, while Urdag would accompany him as extra muscle. Khadi would take care of driving as well as the animals. While he'd been gone, Sandra had purchased a couple of donkeys as well as a wagon. She'd said that if Kamaron didn't want to try trading with other villages, it was up to her to force his hand.

Sandra would stay behind with the other five children, taking care of the farm.

"Ya sure ya don't need help wid dat boss? Yer getting ta be an old man, ya know."

"Bloody hell, Urdag, I'm 48, I'm not an old man yet."

"Syur, syur, but yar gettin' der."

"He's right you know, Mr. ul Tende."

Kamaron glared at Kahdi and Urdag, refusing to dignify their jabs with a response. Instead, he just spurred Pugsy on, and off they went.

He'd been to Tika Town many times before, it was only a few days away, and being a central hub for business was a good place to get information. The trip took about three days, could have been faster but the wagon was loaded down with nearly 200 lbs of cheese, along with other goods that would be needed on the road. That, and while she was good enough at handling the cart on their property, the open road and a larger wagon were things Khadi wasn't too familiar with.

By the third day, when they arrived at Tika Town, Kamaron knew something was wrong. The villagers were all talking about something, and there seemed to be quite a few adventurer types around. He told Urdag to find a tavern to lodge in, and handed him a couple gold pieces for expenses. He then asked one of the villagers what was going on.

"You just arrive, did you? It's big news, the duke's offering a whole bunch of gold for whoever can deal with the dragon that attacked West Town."

Kamaron's face paled. They'd just left West Town. Behind him, he heard Khadi gasp. He turned to her and said: "Relax, girl, I'm certain the others are fine. The farm is on the outskirts of town. Besides, you know Sandra is smart, she'll have gotten everyone to safety if worst comes to worst."

The girl seemed to be shocked, but she eventually nodded.

"I'll go see what else I can learn."

"No, stick with me. You've never been here before, and I don't want us getting separated. For now, we'll hit a tavern. Great places to get news."

With that, Kamaron took the girl's hand and led her to the closest tavern he could find. To his surprise, upon entering, he noticed his former companions sitting around a table. That's a relief, Renold might have been a twit, but at least the others were competent. Chances are, they would know more of what was going on if they'd been in town the entire time. Before he can ask though, he overhears a bunch of warriors insulting the little goblin. He recognizes their insignias. He's had dealings with their guild before, not always pleasant, but not entirely antagonistic. Still, an insult is an insult.

He unhooks Compassion from his belt and focuses a bolt of light onto it. He then shoots a bolt of intense white light straight up where it screams through the air before shattering harmlessly against the wall in a burst of blinding white light. He then draws his cloak around himself, revealing the black cloth embroidered with a silver spiderweb pattern, the distinguishing mark of a high-ranking cleric of Istus. In his left hand, the one not holding the crossbow, he has his morningstar Justice, unfurled and glowing bright white light.

"The goblin's with me. Got something to say about it?"

Intimidate Check: +15
Last edited by BMR on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The tavern fell silent as Kamaron fired his weapon. Two of the Purple Dragons drew swords and took a fighting stance. The shorter one that had spoken before seemed a bit rattled. The third purple dragon firmly raised a hand, halting his two companions. He stood a bit taller than the others. His facial features were pleasant and his golden hair looked freshly groomed. His armor was much more elaborate than his fellows and his large bastard sword and shield seemed very fine indeed. He wore a slight grin as he spoke, "It's not like a cleric of Istus to act so rashly. From what I hear your clergy is normally slow to act."
The man rose and began to walk around the tavern, making his way slowly towards Kamaron. As he did, Kamaron noticed that he wore the holy symbol of St. Cuthbert on a medallion around his neck. "Your friends fancy themselves dragon slayers. In the past, these things may have fallen to local talent such as yourselves. However, the Purple Dragons are here now. We plan to attack the dragon with 30 men within the week. We three waiting to meet up with battalion as I speak. They should be here shortly."
The man offered a greetings toward Kamaron then, "My Name is Malikia Rothbert. I suggest you know who you're threatening before doing so in the future."
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kamaron takes the hand and replies:

"Kamaron ul Tende, cleric of Istus." he then narrows his eyes and continues: "As well as resident of West Town and member in good standing of West Town's Guild of Merchants. Yes, we of Istus are slow to anger, but having family in West Town, I'm certain you can see why any who speak dismissively towards any who wish to help would be met with hostility. What's more, I can be a bit of a maverick, despite being a recognized member of the clergy. As for who I am threatening, if I see wrong-doing, I will stand against it, no matter who's in the way. Or does a follower of St. Cuthbert suggest to only go against injustice if one is certain of victory?"

He then takes a look at the other Purple Dragons.

"Though I must say, if you lead this group, then you should certainly discipline your men. If 'professionals' act in such an unprofessional way when not on duty, such as say, deigning to reduce themselves to insulting commoners, I'm sure that we can both agree that it also reflects very, very poorly on their professionalism in the field, as well as on your leadership. If these commoners they've insulted are amateurs, then what your men have done is quite similar to a king's knight lowering himself to deriding children with wooden swords. If any are to apologize, it is without a doubt you who should apologize to us for their insult, and your men who should apologize to you for impugning your honor as their commander."

Diplomacy check to influence others' attitudes: +23

Also, Knowledge (religion): +15, Knowledge (nobility): +9, and Knowledge: (local): +9, does Kamaron know who this guy is?
Last edited by BMR on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Slickens gives an approving hoot to Kamaron and his statements, muttering after "Nobody needs to throw Slickens, Slickens knows how to jump"
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"I liken myself as a slayer of many evils," the half-orc interjects, although not feeling the need to express himself nearly as boldly as Karamon had done.

He turns in his seat to face the clansmen, "I advise against doubting the men of gods- or the great spirit the little one has for that matter. Surely our strength would still be a great asset to your cause."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Renold shifted in her seat. She knew Malikia and had once garnered respect from the man. She wasn't sure if the recent change in treatment she had been experiencing lately was due to not being regonized or due to her new gender. Either way, she didn't like it. What she disliked even more was the faint attraction she felt towards the clearly handsome Purple Dragon.

Malikia nodded with a smile at Kamaron's words. "You must indeed forgive my men. As you might expect, a few other guilds have plans to attack the dragon as well. There have been some strong words said and some of us are feeling a bit defensive." As Malikia mentioned feeling defensive, he glanced over at the purple dragon that had made the previous comments.
"We should be going now. We have much to prepare for. You lot need not worry about the dragon, our guild will slay it soon." With that Mailikia motioned towards his men and they all moved to leave.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

As the guildsman announces their departure, Horace quickly asks, "Then your men are of no need for priests for healing? As you have healers among your own ranks, I assume?"
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

"Indeed, perhaps harsh words were spoken on both sides. Before you leave, here, take this."

Kamaron takes a gold coin from his purse and hands it to the man.

"Where I come from, it is customary at times like these for two men to exchange gold coins. I give you one, and you give me one. It signifies that we both apologize to one another, and henceforth we are both in the others' debt. Well, symbolically, really, mostly it means that should the need arise, we will help one another. And with this dragon business, every little bit of help counts."

With that done, he takes Khadijeh and moves to the table with Slickens and co. As soon as he is seated, he speaks:

"Fancy meeting you lot here once again. Allow me to introduce my one of my employees, Khadijeh. She's the eldest of the six children who live with me, I'd brought her along so that she could experience life outside of West Town. But then we heard word of the dragon attack. I would perform a Sending to my secretary, but I have not prayed for the magic to do so today. I could scry on her, but that will take some time, so before I do that I want to learn more about what happened during the attack on West Town. Tell me everything you've heard."

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Catt gives Kamaron a quick hug as he sits down, but then ignores the rest of what he has to say as she strides across the bar to Gorak, the Dwarven Wagersmith, who is sitting in the corner drinking with a couple of his buddies from the Bookies Guild.

Having already taken a fair amount of her money in the short time since Catt arrived in Tika Town, she and Gorak were on friendly terms.

"Hey, Gorak! Did you get a load of those Purple Dragon guy's faces when Ol' Kam burst in?"

"What kind of odds are you giving on who's gonna slay the dragon? Who's the smart money on?"