TMC Appreciation Topic

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Soule X
Red Slime

TMC Appreciation Topic

Post by Soule X »

I feel like I've spent a lot of time lurking and hanging out on these boards since I was in middle school. One thing I've come to rely on, depend on, utterly appreciate is this mother slimer's ability to be there, be dedicated, answer the simplest and most complex questions with no semblance of arrogance and the upmost calmness and knowledge just waiting to be passed down to whoever is interested. I feel like the community old and new owes a huge deal of gratitude to one of the coolest dudes to step in and help a struggling artist in need reach their potential. I just want to say thank you. And I feel like a bunch of other people probably want to properly say thank you as well.

So thanks, buddy. It's been an absolute pleasure.
Last edited by Soule X on Mon May 29, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I agree wholeheartedly. I haven't been here long but I find the community here very friendly and knowledgeable in general, and it's all thanks to the consistent and reliable efforts of various members, especially TMC, to make it so, and keep it justly.
TMC has always been super-polite and helpful and I respect that enormously, and I'm sure everyone else does too!

He's so kind that "TMC" should stand for
"The Most Compassionate" for his benign demanour
"Trust Me Coding" for his knowledgeable and leet skillz
"Try My Cognizance" for his expansive and impressive understanding of the engine
"Totally Mellow Cadre" for being a completely chilled-out key personnel
"Tropical Mango Cream" for um, his sweet, delicious, exotic creaminess
"Turbo Moon Captain" for uh, I'm not sure, but I will buy you a moon and we can go driving somewhere with the speed set to max, and I'll get you a captains hat, and we can, just, like, chill amongst the stars, and stuff
... yeah, okay, maybe not those last ones.
He's a cool guy is what I'm saying, and I admire him for his patience with others and frank humility in all his dealings.
TMC probably already stands for something, so, uh, hope I didn't offend anyone.

Whenever I see TMC's name, my heart rests a little easier, and for some reason, my dreams are a little less troubled, food tastes better, my heart sings and I feel stronger, better, for having known you, even for the brief period of time we have had... I love you TMC.. I'm going to marry you. Nah, kidding, but I do love you. Joking about the marriage part... Unless... no, that would be silly, r-right? Well, I will always love him from afar, and don't think I will ever be able to express my gratitude fully, so it's a good thing Soule X made this thread so we can all laud this praiseworthy and noble personage, the way he deserves so richly.

I hope it wouldn't be uncouth to raise a glass to the Official Hamster Republic and the countless developers, members and fans :p
And to TMC! *raises glass*
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

You guys said it way better than I ever could. TMC, you're the best, we love you. I can't even remember all the times you've patiently explained concepts to people (myself included, many times!) or thrown all your plans aside to implement a feature people were clamoring for. You're a real good guy.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

TMC has always been something of a hero for the community, and at this point is easily as much of a lead developer for the OHRRPGCE as James is.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I appreciate TMC for having the uncanny ability to make sense of the nonsensical and to figure out a path to develop what shouldn't be possible. I appreciate that he can dive in and spend hours on a problem that the rest of us would look at for about two minutes and say, "Eh, this can wait." I appreciate that he puts up with an endless avalanche of feature requests and bugfix needs without it forcing him into a developer's coma. And, when he doesn't understand a problem, or understand the solution to a problem, he'll be honest about it, and blunt, and we all will learn from the experience.

The Mad Cacti (TMC) goes above and beyond, and the community and the engine is better for it. And, I'm sure James breathes a little easier each night knowing that TMC has made himself into the perfect henchman...er, co-developer.

TMC, you deserve a drink for your hard work. Even if that drink is a bottle of water.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

This is a surprise! Thank you all, for the very kind words! It's up-lifting and touching. The OHR has been a big part of my life for... half of my life, in fact. I've been here since 2002 or so. Back then I didn't really work on my own games, instead I mucked around with HamsterSpeak and answered (mostly scripting) HelpMe questions. (It's crazy that James has been doing this 20 years! I can't imagine that he would have foreseen this back then.)
I'm still here because it's addicting (I'm definitely addicted), it's fun, and it's rewarding to help people out with their games, hopefully helping them to learn about game design, drawing and art, programming, musical composition, writing and so forth along the way. (That, and I promised a heck of a lot of stuff which I haven't delivered on yet.)
I can't even remember all the times you've ... thrown all your plans aside to implement a feature people were clamoring for.
Not entirely a good thing. That's because I have no focus, and generally whatever I'm working on was unimportant anyway. I'm one to drop everything on the slightest suggestion.

A week ago I did actually look at svn commit (code change) counts. James still has more than me :) Actually, I was amazed that I had many times more than Mike, despite it feeling like I'm still catching up to his huge contributions. Contrary to popular assumption, I haven't been steadily active on the engine and forums over the last 12 years.
(Goes to show, counting commits is a worthless metric since they might be small as a typo fix, and different people split their work into quite different-sized pieces.)
Last edited by TMC on Mon May 29, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Everybody has pretty much said it already, but I want to say thank you too!

The ohrrpgce is SO much better for your being a part of it, and not just because of all your great features and fixes, but also because you have been a good influence on me, and motivating me to make it better, rather than just accepting big-ball-of-mudness, and slathering on more layers of kludges, as is my first instinct when left to my own devices

Also, this is just more FUN with you working on it too! :)
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Late to the party, only just noticed the thread. Also want to chime in and say thanks to TMC, prolly one of the coolest and smartest dudes I've met. Learned a lot from him, and he's always ready to put up with my questions whenever I'm trying something silly with scripting once more, heh. So as everyone else has said, here's to TMC :)
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

TMC is the bardest of arses and it's unlikely I'd be making anything that I've done currently or previously without his help. His contributions cannot be overstated.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Hear! Hear!
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Wendigo
Red Slime

Post by Wendigo »

Big thanks from my side too for all the dedication and patience.
Ralph, James and all the others are doing a really great job.
I'm a little ashamed though that I couldn't yet find the the time to put all your advice into a new GUI for the ohr.
But it is still on my todo list.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

Done a lot of great and good work, TMC
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Also, this is just more FUN with you working on it too! :)
Collaboration is definitely far more fun and rewarding than working in a vacuum.

As is getting some feedback along the way, to know it matters! :)
Wendigo wrote:I'm a little ashamed though that I couldn't yet find the the time to put all your advice into a new GUI for the ohr.
But it is still on my todo list.
That's perfectly fine; actually I'm very happy to hear that you're still interested.
Although you're more than welcome to give it a stab, continuing with the code you were using, I feel like it's only fair that James and I at least start on some GUI framework rather than leaving you to have to do something so major which is not really what you wanted to work on in the first place (since you probably expected we had something like that already).
Last edited by TMC on Tue May 30, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Finally! I've been waiting forever for this thread!

TMC is great!
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

TMC wrote:
Bob the Hamster wrote:Also, this is just more FUN with you working on it too! :)
Collaboration is definitely far more fun and rewarding than working in a vacuum.

As is getting some feedback along the way, to know it matters! :)
Now kiss :D