Review for Mirrored Soul Gaiden - Demo

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Review for Mirrored Soul Gaiden - Demo

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Mirrored Soul Gaiden is a game demo released in 2016 by Mammothstuds (Allu In The Demon’s Cave, The Successor’s Legacy).

It tells the story (or the beginning of it, at least) of Ilwin, one of a group of extraterrestrial invaders whose objective is to conquer the planet they (mistakenly) believe to be Earth. Armed with a pair of specialty weapons called the Quake-Me-Up and the Pain-Drain, Ilwin is sent by his moody superior Cursyun to investigate the progress of his (apparently inept) colleague Ditzel’s exploration efforts and collect some local specimens for examination. After saving Ditzel from a group of alien monsters and returning her safely to headquarters, Cursyun gives Ilwin a communication device called the P-Pager and orders him to keep exploring until paged. Shortly thereafter, Ilwin is defeated by a large snail-like creature called Bloak and subsequently saved by a much smaller snail-like creature named Agnes. Agnes asks to join you (unless you lie to her about your comrades’ presence), and the demo essentially ends there.

It’s an interesting premise and pretty to look at, I’ll be interested to see it in a more complete state.

PRO:
The art style is distinct, clean, cartoonish, and endearing. Character designs are quirky, and most of the characters’ personalities are distinguishable (even though very little time is spent with any of them). I get the sense that this game would have a lot of “personality” if it were long enough to establish itself.

CON:
The game is a very short unfinished demo (only one winnable battle and a couple of brief conversations) – 5-10 minutes of playtime max. The volume of the sound effects is set much too loud in comparison to the music.
...spake The Lord Thy God.