NPC pathfinding

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

guo wrote:I'm getting major slowdown with just 3 pathfinding enemies on a map. It is a rather large and complex map, however.
That is actually rather surprising for just 3 enemies....

Unless there are a whole ton of other NPCs on the map?

I still have to finish and important optimization with how NPCs check for collisions with other NPCs (including all of them, not just the other pathfinding ones)

Would you mind sending me a copy of your game with a save file on that map? It might be a good test-case for whether or not my optimizations are working :)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Download a more recent nightly. The original version was highly inefficient and I would guess that's what you're using. It's much faster now, though still far slower than it could be, especially if there are lots of NPCs on the map. It'll continue to be optimised over time.

You're asking for an NPC that changes its movement type when you get close? It can be scripted pretty simply.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Oh, yes. I might have been mistaken to assume that you were using the latest nightly. If you were using a nightly even a few days old, then one lonely pathing npc on a big map would bring the engine to it's knees.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Ok thanks guys, I'll try the new nightly . Had a busy week at work so unable to reply or check recently. I'll report back later!

Edit: Heads up, I was receiving errors about the latest nightly when using the win installer. The zip package fixed it though. Love the new menu graphics.

Edit2: New nightly works swimmingly - no slowdowns. The NPCs seem to be able to detect you from anywhere on the map. A per-NPC option to change it's "activation radius" would be nice.
Last edited by guo on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
vvight.wordpress.com