Forum requests

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Forum requests

Post by SwordPlay »

EDIT: I change the thread to a generic request thread for forum stuff.

I guess this is addressed to Mogri. You are responsible for this stuff, right?

I'd like to see the option to hide content behind spoilers being expandable/collapsible in some way.

The reason for this is that it is much more convenient when navigating a thread, scrolling etc., and stops threads being cluttered with too much information (for example)

It is much easier to look at and browse a list of headers with expandable/collapsible contents, rather than scrolling through a long (sometimes very long) post.

It could also be used for dramatic reasons, or just plain spoiler-y reasons where you literally don't want to spoil something, or just for jokes, hiding large images/posts, or, well, anything really.

It seems to be a common feature of most forums, and would probably be really useful.

Perhaps other users could weigh in on this? Maybe I am just mad for caring about this.
Either way, I don't like cluttering the forum with my lengthy posts, and if it were possible, I would hide most of the content behind headers.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed May 24, 2017 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rogissidor
Slime

Post by Rogissidor »

That would be useful for big big blocks of code.

Speaking of which, I can't preview a long post, it blanks out.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Rogissidor: There is a bug in the forum where your post is blanked out when you preview it if it contains any non-ASCII unicode characters. Posting it will still work, however. If it happens to you, press your browser's back button to get your post back, then post it without previewing.

One common way this happens is if you copy-paste a username which contains a space, because the space is converted by the forum to a non-breaking space character. It also happens if you quote someone who used unicode. For example I noticed Pepsi Ranger sometimes uses fancy quote characters, causing my replies to him to be deleted!
Last edited by TMC on Wed May 24, 2017 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

There is a bug in the forum where your post is blanked out when you preview it if it contains any non-ASCII unicode characters.
...ah, so that's why every time I tried to post about Okédoké the preview option kept blanking my post. Because of that upside-down exclamation mark in the title (...and maybe the é, too? I notice that this very post gets blanked in the preview, despite not using the inverted ! at all. I thought the é was in the ASCII range of characters?)
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I changed the thread title to make it a generic request thread, that might be easier! Request away to your hearts content.

Dear Mogri,

support for non-ascii unicode characters

what's the deal with that?

sincerely, some forumites
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed May 24, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

é is not part of ASCII, but it is in Latin-1 which is an 8-bit codepage (extended ASCII) which is very common - you might have noticed that the OHR uses it. However, unlike the English alphabet, when you encode é using UTF8 it gets converted to multiple bytes, which would be what screws up the forum.

This thread is in the wrong forum though.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

TMC wrote: This thread is in the wrong forum though.
Oops, you're right. I guess I was over-excited.

Requesting an admin to move this thread please?