Mini-Review for Yi

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

marionline
Metal Slime

Mini-Review for Yi

Post by marionline »

Yi is a screen saver for the OHR made by Gizmog. It features lot's of moving squares in different colours. Since is it a screen saver, there is nothing to do, but look at it.
It looks really nice.
The only "scenes" it did not like was the one with a lot of tiny squares flashing on the screen, watching these feels stressful. The ones with larger squares are more calm and it's more relaxing to look at them.
It's a pity that the screen saver is made in the ohr and therefore I can not see how to use it as real screen saver.
I would like to see a screen saver that uses circles instead of squares. Or maybe a different kind of screen saver that features characters from OHR games as well.
Also it's cool that Giz included the .hss files, so one can look up how the screen saver program was made. I feel not qualified to comment on this, but seems like slices were used.
The whole program is released under copyright, maybe a cc-by license or something more open would have been a better choice if Giz wants allow others to use his code.
Attachments
screenshot of the screen saver
yi0001.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
yi0006.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I don't know anything about licensing at all, I assume that's something the dang ol' "distribute game" button does. But pretty much whenever I include scripts in a file, it means I don't mind people doing whatever the hell they want with it. I know exactly the one you mean when you say it feels stressful, I don't like that one either. Thanks so much for reviewing this, and everything else you've covered. I'd love to do one with circles as well, but it's a lot harder to tell where circles are going to intersect than it is with squares. And I'm lazy!
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Glad to hear you like the reviews! :)