LinearQuest series master thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

LinearQuest series master thread

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Here is a thread for discussion and updates in regard to LinearQuest, a minimalist RPG. Questions, comments, criticism, and sage advice are all welcome and appreciated.

-- Which version should I download? --

The short answer is that (as of this edit) LQ1, LQ6, and LQ9 are the key versions, with LQ1 being the simplest and LQ9 the most advanced.

The long answer is "keep reading."

-- What is LinearQuest, and why does it exist? --

Back in late 2014, I started toying around with OHRRPGCE on my old MacBook. I had a lot of fun thinking up story ideas, recording music, and making pixel art. The problem was that the process tended not to result in a complete game, and there were a lot of questions I didn't even know to ask about game design. So I played a little bit of every RPG I could lay hands on and tried to figure out how they worked. I bought some D&D rulebooks, and even briefly joined some games. I watched every episode of Extra Credits. I did a LOT of Googling.

I decided that, rather than trying to lovingly craft every last detail of my dream project and ending up with an unfinished broken mess of a game, I'd make a "test game" - the simplest possible thing that could still be construed as an RPG - and then learn how to build it up into something more fun and robust. Once I achieved that, I would be able to apply the acquired skills to making that dream project. Oh, and I'd publicly release every step of the process with a roman numeral as an homage to Square Enix.

-- LinearQuest: Fury Of Boss --
The King sends the Hero on a quest to defeat the Boss and return a stolen McGuffin, then rewards the hero with a shiny Trophy. LQ1 also features an Inn and a Shop, where the Hero can buy a Weapon and Armor. The first LinearQuest is the most conceptually pure - it is totally linear, and there is only one correct way to complete the game.

-- LinearQuest II: Plague Of Slimes --
LinearQuest had no random encounters, so LQ2 offers some Slimes for the Hero to fight (and a wandering NPC to warn of them). There may have been other minor tweaks as well. The combat is very simple, off-balance, and unfair. I didn't realize it at the time, but I now think it's possible to get "stuck" in LQ2 and LQ3.

-- LinearQuest III: Dungeon Maze --
LQ3 is essentially LQ2 with graphical "upgrades." The color palette is less abrasive, and other details were added - including a linear pseudo-Maze in Boss' Dungeon.

** Inactivity **
I'm a musician and thought it would be great to take my MacBook on tour, watch cartoons in the van, and work on games at the hotel. I immediately spilled a drink into it, and it hasn't worked right since. I was forced to take a hiatus from game-making. But I kept researching and learning about games. As soon as I got my hands on a PC, I made a new update of LinearQuest.

-- LinearQuest IV: Ghouls & Grinding --
As of LQ4 there are Ghouls for the Hero to fight in Boss' Dungeon, Potions to buy in Wub's Store, and some tweaks to stats and rewards. LinearQuest is now "playable" in a way LQ2 and LQ3 failed to be (and LQ1 didn't even attempt).

-- LinearQuest V: Angry Angles --
This installment features a new enemy type as well as a new weapon, in addition to an overhaul of the stats. The King no longer finances your quest, grinding is now mandatory to afford equipment and potions.

-- LinearQuest VI: Moles & Magic --
This installment has a new enemy type (Moles), a new spell (Fireball), a new item (Elixir), a new palette (overly saturated), and graphical upgrades to the world map (two-tone grass, bridge planks, animated water). LQ6 provides about 25-30 minutes of gameplay.

-- LinearQuest VII: A Whole New World --
LQ7 consists of almost entirely new expanded maps and takes about 1 hour to complete.

-- LinearQuest VIII: Another Level --
LQ8 introduces XP, levelling, and 3 new enemy types (Kobolds, Devils, Flaming Skulls). The entire game was also re-balanced, and enemies now drop items (including a new rare Potion+). LQ8 takes about 1.5-2 hours to complete.

-- LinearQuest IX: Get This Party Started --
LQ9 features additional party members with new skills, as well as a second sub-boss. LQ9 takes about 1.5-2 hours to complete.

-- LinearQuest X --
With LQ10, I hope to add treasure chests, new enemy types, and battle backgrounds.
Attachments
LinearQuest: Fury Of Boss
LinearQuest: Fury Of Boss
linearquest0004.gif (1.24 MiB) Viewed 4649 times
LinearQuest II: Plague Of Slimes
LinearQuest II: Plague Of Slimes
linearquestii0002.gif (803.75 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
LinearQuest III: Dungeon Maze
LinearQuest III: Dungeon Maze
linearquestiii0000.gif (635.8 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
LinearQuest IV: Ghouls & Grinding
LinearQuest IV: Ghouls & Grinding
LinearQuestIV0001.gif (705.85 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
LinearQuest V: Angry Angles
LinearQuest V: Angry Angles
LinearQuestV0002.gif (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4650 times
LinearQuest VI: Moles & Magic
LinearQuest VI: Moles & Magic
LinearQuestVI0000.gif (805.15 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
LinarQuest VII: A Whole New World
LinarQuest VII: A Whole New World
LinearQuestVII0000.gif (2.99 MiB) Viewed 4650 times
LinearQuest VIII: Another Level
LinearQuest VIII: Another Level
LinearQuestVIII0001.gif (663.83 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
LinearQuest IX: Get This Party Started
LinearQuest IX: Get This Party Started
LinearQuestIX0002.gif (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4650 times
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:52 am, edited 15 times in total.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, I always assumed that these games were just a drawn out joke. I didn't think that there was some master plan behind it, and you were building up reaaaaally slowly to something more substantial. How far will you make it, I wonder? Seems like very little added in each version. I haven't played LQ IV yet.

This reminds me a bit of SDHawk's project to create a newbie game in 7 days, posting the result of each day. I can't remember the name.

I think this can count as a retrospective or commentary for the 2016 in Review contest? Congratulations, you're an entrant.
Last edited by TMC on Tue May 23, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

LinearQuest V has been uploaded. The newest installment features reworked stats, a new weapon, and a new enemy type.
Attachments
New stat overhaul!
New stat overhaul!
LQ5 03 Status.JPG (66.81 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
New item!
New item!
LQ5 01 Village.JPG (72.18 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
New enemy!
New enemy!
LQ5 02 Angles.JPG (36.49 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Tue May 23, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

TMC wrote:Wow, I always assumed that these games were just a drawn out joke. I didn't think that there was some master plan behind it, and you were building up reaaaaally slowly to something more substantial. How far will you make it, I wonder? Seems like very little added in each version. I haven't played LQ IV yet.
Insofar as there is a "master plan," it's just to learn to work OHR well enough to make a game and learn game design enough to make it decent. I thought it would be easier if I started with a "complete game" and then fleshed it out. Hopefully I can advance to the point where I feel comfortable sinking effort into the project I'd really like to make.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Makes sense! The best thing to do is to get to a point where you can rapidly see the effect of your efforts. Adding some new attack or item or npc isn't very rewarding if you don't have a playable game to put it into.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

TMC wrote:Makes sense! The best thing to do is to get to a point where you can rapidly see the effect of your efforts. Adding some new attack or item or npc isn't very rewarding if you don't have a playable game to put it into.
That should be possible moving forward from LQ5. Most of this cycle was spent juggling stats and test playing to see the results. I need to figure out formulas so I can make a spreadsheet of damage. I found the dodge calculator. Great tool.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

LinearQuest VI: Moles & Magic has been uploaded.

This installment has a new enemy type, a new spell, a new item, a new palette, and graphical upgrades to the world map.
Attachments
New spell, new enemy!
New spell, new enemy!
LQ6 03 Battle.JPG (38.11 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
Graphical upgrades!
Graphical upgrades!
LQ6 02 World Map.JPG (68.16 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
New item!
New item!
LQ6 01 Village.JPG (57.83 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

LinearQuest VII: A Whole New World has been uploaded.

With the exception of Boss's Dungeon, the entire geography of the game has been remade, and new additional maps have been added. LQ7 takes place over 18 screens, as opposed to the 3 screens of LQ6. Instead of one store and one inn, now there are four of each. Distribution of enemies and resources was tweaked a bit to suit the new scope of the map. A new Sub-Boss enemy has been added, however it is mechanically identical to Boss. LQ7 takes about an hour to complete.
Attachments
New maps!
New maps!
LQ7 03 Mountains.JPG (90.58 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
New maps!
New maps!
LQ7 02 Forest.JPG (76.55 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
New maps!
New maps!
LQ7 01 Village.JPG (67.39 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

LinearQuest VIII: Another Level has been uploaded.

LQ8 introduces XP, levelling, and 3 new enemy types. The entire game was also re-balanced, and enemies now drop items. Boss and Sub-Boss #1 types have been differentiated.

LQ8 takes about 1.5-2 hours to complete.
Attachments
LinearQuest VIII: Another Level - Battle
LinearQuest VIII: Another Level - Battle
LQ8 02 Battle.JPG (35.45 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
LinearQuest VIII: Another Level - Status
LinearQuest VIII: Another Level - Status
LQ8 01 Status.JPG (77.71 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »

As of LQ9, there will be a party.
Attachments
LinearQuest IX: Get This Party Started (work in progress)
LinearQuest IX: Get This Party Started (work in progress)
LinearQuestIX0002.gif (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4648 times
Last edited by TheLordThyGod on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight

Post by TheLordThyGod »