Sword of Jade - Truesight murders everything?

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Sword of Jade - Truesight murders everything?

Post by Foxley »

So I'm finally just now getting around to playing Sword of Jade. It's good!

Something I suspected was happening but didn't confirm it until just now is that Johan's Truesight ability seems to just instakill everything, even bosses. I just tried using it in the boss battle with Rift because I thought it would do something fake-battle-scripting related to the boss, but instead it just killed the boss.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue, or if I'm missing something. The RPG file has a modified date of 3/24/2013, not sure if it's been updated and bugfixed since then.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

That isn't the most recent version, see http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... rd_of_Jade

SoJ suffered attack data corruption, it could have been the case that garbage data got inserted into new data fields when upgrading at some point. Does the version you're playing have a bunch of garbage in the attack descriptions? The changelog for the 2015 version mentions that attacks were fixed, as well as various new features and sound effects.

I scanned for games with garbage attack data and only found one or two others. I was considering adding some special case to the engine for them but it never happened.

Fyre reported the problem with True Sight years ago. I'm not certain whether it really was caused by corruption or an engine bug. But I haven't heard about it for so long that I assumed it was fixed in either SoJ or the engine. Could you check the 2015 version and see if it's still there? Which OHR version are you playing with?
Last edited by TMC on Mon May 22, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I tried that 2015 download and just moved my save files over. Truesight still kills everything. Attack definition data isn't stored in save files, is it?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No, attack data isn't stored in saves.

I had a look at the latest .rpg file (I had to use tabulate.py just to figure out which attack it was, as there are over 2200), and I think I see the problem...

How this happened, I have no idea.
Attachments
sword-of-jade0001.bmp
sword-of-jade0001.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
Last edited by TMC on Mon May 22, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Yowch. I'm guessing that was necessary before elemental based transmogs came about, but still, it shouldn't just be killing everything.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, turns out that wasn't the problem; the damage settings were always like that. The problem is that the attack used to fail against visble (not-invisible) enemies.

In fact, it turns out that ALL weak to, strong to, absorb and enemytype bits for ALL enemies got wiped due to an engine bug in the upgrade routines (upgrades were applied in the wrong order). It only occurred when upgrading games from 2007 or earlier, which is why it wasn't noticed when the upgrade code was written in 2011. Quite the stuff-up!
I've solved the bug, and wrote some code to copy the data from a 2005 copy of Jade.rpg into the latest release, which will be available to anyone as a special option.

If you don't want to wait for Fyre to put out a new release, you can apply this patch: unlump sword-of-jade.rpg with unlump, and then extract this file into it: jade.dt1. You can run the resulting .rpgdir directly with Game.

So, however far you've played so far, there might have been quite a bit of stuff in-battle that was wrong, unbalanced, didn't trigger, etc.
Last edited by TMC on Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Wow, that's definitely something. The game has been hard as balls so far, so I'm not sure if it's been harder or easier than intended.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

oh sweet jesus.

i'll try to get the official version updated soon

edit: i should also set something up to where TMC can update the actual distribution in case i'm unavailable in the future
Last edited by FyreWulff on Tue May 23, 2017 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

all versions (minus DOS) are now updated (I unlumped , overwrote the DT1 with TMC's patched version, then re-lumped, then used Distribute Game to re-build the versions).

Please update your copy immediately if you haven't done so to play the game as intended.

Thanks for the heads up, and thanks for the patch, TMC!

I'll get the android versions updated later
Last edited by FyreWulff on Tue May 23, 2017 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, you don't miss a beat. I didn't email you yet 'cause it was really late last night and I haven't actually pushed the bugfix yet (but it's not required to play the patched version).

So you haven't edited any enemies since the last release? It would be trivial to repeat the data-merge process.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

No enemies have been touched. I only edited battle formations a couple versions ago.

edit: i may or may not have accidentally torched the data by trying to push a nightly file into a stable release. If you downloaded in the last hour or two, you'll have to redownload again.

edit 75: slimesalad game listing is now also updated to the latest version
Last edited by FyreWulff on Tue May 23, 2017 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Also ran into this fun little thing at the top of the old castle in Cyport:

FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

I'll look into that and see what I can do. TMC also came up with an automated way to make Jade's scripts actually compilable again after ~10 years, so I may be able to persue some deeper bug fixes when I have the time.

Also please email me saves to mkidder@gmail.com (subject: Jade Save) for perusal.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Does Dropbox work?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/eud ... pvf/2.rsav

Another interesting thing that happened, I used Avis from this same location (which I'm now convinced is severely haunted) to go somewhere, and my time got stuck at 4:30PM and I was unable to use hotkeys like T for time and R for rest, even after saving and quitting and reloading. What fixed it was using the Return option in the Avis menu.
Last edited by Foxley on Thu May 25, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

Yeah the hotkeys are actually tied to the time-system plotscript loop so if it stops.. looping, you have no more hotkeys.