linearquestiii0024.bmp
The king gives you a quest - and all of his money
linearquestiii0016.bmp
Battle Screen
linearquestiii0011.bmp
Status Screen
linearquestiii0018.bmp
the cave with Hero and Boss
This is a review of LinearQuest III: Dungeon Maze.

Infos
The game "LinearQuest III: Dungeon Maze" by TheLordThyGod was released in 2016.
It is part of the LInearQuest-series consisting of the games "LinearQuest: Fury Of Boss" and "LinearQuest II: Plague Of Slimes".

Plot
The hero - who ever he is -finds himself in a room with the kind, one NPC and the Owner of an Inn. The king asks him to battle Boss, the enemy. The Inn owner offers rooms and the shop keeper sells two items, weapon and armour.
Next map is very abstract drawn town. There are only two buildings.
The other building contains some kind of "mazeless" dungeon, with the enemy waiting at the end.
After beating Boss, one gets exp and the McGuffin item. Then the player can return it to the king and gets a trophy in return. Cool!
I think that's where the game ends.

**Bravo! Great Design!**

I really liked ...
    - the simplicity! Grin
    - nice music on the map
    - the Inn

**Things that could be improved:**

- battle music is unnerving
    - for whatever reason the battle backdrop is pastel pink.
    - the hero has really bad aim and battles take a while because the hero misses the enemies.
    - you gain no Exp from battles, so there's no reason to battle other monsters at all.

Overall Impression:
Linear Quest III seems to be the sequel to the other linear quest games.
It's kept very simple in style and plot, but that makes it fun. And it's definitly really short!
I like how it boiled down a game to the core elements and highlights them. From a game maker's point of view the game can be a case study of often used/reoccurring plot elements in rpg games.
Edit: By pressing F11 the passability can be turned off. That happend why playing and I thought there was no passability used, I even wonder if it's done on purpose to make the quests more linear. After TMC pointesd out what happend, I could finish the game and return the McGuffin and finish the quest.

PostTue May 23, 2017 9:41 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
I'm interested in any input about certain issues you discovered: walking on water and passing through non-responsive PCs shouldn't be an issue (at least I don't have this issue on either computer I've run the program on). Returning the McGuffin to the King and a possibility of terminating the game has been included since the original LinearQuest. If anyone knows what could be going wrong, I'd love to know so I can fix it.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Metal King Slime

PostWed May 24, 2017 3:28 am
The walls works fine for me. Maybe Marionline accidentally pressed F11 to walk through walls and forgot about it.
Edit: walk-through-walls turns off when you quit a game and start another one, so that's not the problem.

BTW, I see you blanked out the "Order" menu item, but you could just remove it from the menu instead. Go to the Edit Menus menu.
Metal Slime

PostWed May 24, 2017 5:22 am
Right! I played the game again, and passability worked.
I guess the first time F11 was accidentally activated - I did not know the engine had that feature. Surprised
I'll edit my review.

PostWed May 24, 2017 6:55 am
Whew! I'm glad that's all it was!
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Metal King Slime

PostWed May 24, 2017 7:50 am
Press F8 to see the debug menu; there's a lot of stuff there!
Metal Slime

PostThu May 25, 2017 1:18 am
There's a "disable debug keys" bitset in general game bitsets, isn't there?
I can't write in cursive.