It's posible to make a game like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Soule X
Red Slime

Post by Soule X »

TMC supposedly just increased the hero limit from 60 to 512. You will need to download the latest nightly from the download page to get the increase though I think.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, this time you're in luck.
There is still a limit of 41 heroes in the current party, but I'm in the process of lifting that limit too.
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

Soule X wrote:TMC supposedly just increased the hero limit from 60 to 512. You will need to download the latest nightly from the download page to get the increase though I think.
It's true?!, that's is awesome!! Is one of the most annoying limitations of OHRRPGCE(the other is the sprites limitation size).
Soule X
Red Slime

Post by Soule X »

Using scripting and backdrops you can have sprites as big as a backdrop (320 x 200), but again this is more advanced stuff.

EDIT: If you're just wanting to make your walkabout sprite or npc sprites bigger it's not too difficult to script. There should be some guides that can walk you through it. I don't know how up to date those would be.
Last edited by Soule X on Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

Soule X wrote:Using scripting and backdrops you can have sprites as big as a backdrop (320 x 200), but again this is more advanced stuff.

EDIT: If you're just wanting to make your walkabout sprite or npc sprites bigger it's not too difficult to script. There should be some guides that can walk you through it. I don't know how up to date those would be.
Yes, i already look at one of those tutorial's, but the sprites of walkabout is for 32x40 only and you can't make a stand position, when the player is not moving.
Soule X
Red Slime

Post by Soule X »

You can really make it any size you want. If you want bigger than 32 x 32 just use Replace Medium Enemy Sprite (or Large). To make a frame display only when standing just use a "key is pressed" script to check the directional keys and if none are pressed Replace Medium Enemy Sprite () whatever number your sprite is. If this doesn't make much sense I would play around with some scripting tutorials, especially slices, and you should be able to get the hang of it. Once you understand it it becomes very simple.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm working on lifting the sprite size limit too, soon.
However, it doesn't make sense to have sprites much larger than 32x40, because the tile size is still only 20x20, so larger sprites would overlap each other too much when NPCs or heroes stand side-by-side. We would need to allow larger tile sizes. That's still in the more distant future.

I'm also implementing a new animation system in the near future, which will include the ability to set a separate 'standing' frame.
If you don't want to wait, there's a script to make the heroes switch to a standing graphic when they aren't moving, but there's no similar script available for NPCs. It could be combined with the Walktall (32x40 walkabout) and three-frame walking scripts by making some small changes.
Soule X wrote:You can really make it any size you want. If you want bigger than 32 x 32 just use Replace Medium Enemy Sprite (or Large).
The problem is that the other sprite types don't have 8 frames. You can only use Hero battle sprites to replace walkabout sprites.
Last edited by TMC on Mon May 15, 2017 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

TMC wrote:The problem is that the other sprite types don't have 8 frames. You can only use Hero battle sprites to replace walkabout sprites.
Alternatively, you could just not use the built-ins and use slices for all the PCs and NPCs. That would allow you to use practically any size or number of frames. That said, prolly much more work/trouble than it's worth, and it would be pretty complicated to script, and also prolly besides the point of what Axul's asking for, heh.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Soule X
Red Slime

Post by Soule X »

You could parent a slice to the hero and do

Replace Medium Enemy Sprite (New Hero Sprite, Get Sprite Frame (Get Hero Slice (me)))

That would set the attached sprite to 0-7 of the medium enemy sprites without too much trouble.
Last edited by Soule X on Mon May 15, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

It's true, i don't need sprites bigger than 32x40 for normal npcs or players, but if i want to make a boss for the dungeon, will be more comfortable to use a bigger sprite. Thanks for the suggestions.

It's posible to use attacks animations, on maps? This question, is if i implement a system of battles more like the rogue-like on the map.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Using attack animations in walkabout mode would require scripting, but it's doable. You'd just have to create the sprite as a slice, parent it to the player slice, and position it accordingly.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

kylekrack wrote:Using attack animations in walkabout mode would require scripting, but it's doable. You'd just have to create the sprite as a slice, parent it to the player slice, and position it accordingly.
I'm more familiar with rpg maker VX, where you can use the battle animations, like special effects on maps.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

AxulGamer wrote:
kylekrack wrote:Using attack animations in walkabout mode would require scripting, but it's doable. You'd just have to create the sprite as a slice, parent it to the player slice, and position it accordingly.
I'm more familiar with rpg maker VX, where you can use the battle animations, like special effects on maps.
Hi there! Good to meet you!
The engine can do nearly anything if you are willing to learn a bit of plotscripting.
The language is really easy to pick up too.

Unfortunately, (I don't think) the engine can't really play animations on-screen at the moment, but if you ask nicely, the developers may add it as a feature!

Currently, in order to play an animation on-screen, you have to create slices, and write a script telling it which slices to display, how long to display them, and at which location.

(I'm in favour of using a select slice which cycles through its children for this purpose. It's not that difficult to script, but I would like to see it added to the engine proper)

Also, the wiki is a good resource, and its in the process of being updated.
I will add a page describing how to display animations on screen.

If you want to display a small-ish animation, you can use NPCs and walkabout sprites to show animations, but the size is limited to 20x20 pixels or less.
Still, it is relatively easy to create an NPC that animates and appears where you want it.
Again, you would have to use scripting for this.
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

Virtuous Sword wrote: Hi there! Good to meet you!
The engine can do nearly anything if you are willing to learn a bit of plotscripting.
The language is really easy to pick up too.

Unfortunately, (I don't think) the engine can't really play animations on-screen at the moment, but if you ask nicely, the developers may add it as a feature!

Currently, in order to play an animation on-screen, you have to create slices, and write a script telling it which slices to display, how long to display them, and at which location.

(I'm in favour of using a select slice which cycles through its children for this purpose. It's not that difficult to script, but I would like to see it added to the engine proper)

Also, the wiki is a good resource, and its in the process of being updated.
I will add a page describing how to display animations on screen.

If you want to display a small-ish animation, you can use NPCs and walkabout sprites to show animations, but the size is limited to 20x20 pixels or less.
Still, it is relatively easy to create an NPC that animates and appears where you want it.
Again, you would have to use scripting for this.
Ok, this will be a good feature for the future, but for now i need to know where to learn plotscript.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Plotscripting

The best way to learn it is to read the tutorial, look at example scripts, and most importantly, try stuff out! When I was first learning plotscripting, I remember spending a lot of time just reading through the dictionary (Here) and finding commands I didn't know existed, then seeing if I could work them into something.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife