It's posible to make a game like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

Hello i'm new in the forum.
I realy like this tipe of rogue-like games and i want to make one.
It's posible on OHRRPGCE?.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Randomly-generated dungeons, on-screen enemies, and bump-the-enemy-to-attack combat are all definitely possible using plotscripting. The first example of this kind of thing that comes to mind for me is "Bob the Hamster in the Crypt of Baconthulhu," but I know there's been at least one or two more roguelike-ish OHRRPGCE games over the years.
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Fri May 12, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:Randomly-generated dungeons, on-screen enemies, and bump-the-enemy-to-attack combat are all definitely possible using plotscripting. The first example of this kind of thing that comes to mind for me is "Bob the Hamster in the Crypt of Baconthulhu," but I know there's been at least one or two more roguelike-ish OHRRPGCE games over the years.
Only two?

So... it's posible to make one, right?

But how?
Last edited by AxulGamer on Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

You could do it, but it will be a lot of work. Very few of the built-in features of the ohrrpgce would be uses, so you would have to script everything yourself.

How comfortable are you with programming?
Soule X
Red Slime

Post by Soule X »

It is definitely possible. If this is your first attempt at using the ohrrpgce and you don't have experience programming it would probably be too overwhelming a first attempt at a game. Your best bet would be to start smaller and play around with the engine first. You also may want to think about using a more suitable engine for that kind of thing, either one more geared toward that game type or one that doesn't have some of the limitations of the ohrrpgce.
This sort of game on this engine is possible, but only for an advanced user.
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

I just started ohrrpgce and I do not know how to use it or start.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Honestly, randomly generated dungeons in the OHR is a huge scope, especially if you're not comfortable with it. However, that's just one feature of the Mystery Dungeon games. There's a lot more going on that would not be nearly as difficult to recreate in the OHR.

Basically, if designing each dungeon yourself sounds acceptable to you, don't let the difficulties of procedurally generated dungeons hold you back.

Another alternative might be designing by hand several different maps for each dungeon, then choosing one at random every time a new game starts.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

kylekrack wrote:Honestly, randomly generated dungeons in the OHR is a huge scope, especially if you're not comfortable with it. However, that's just one feature of the Mystery Dungeon games. There's a lot more going on that would not be nearly as difficult to recreate in the OHR.

Basically, if designing each dungeon yourself sounds acceptable to you, don't let the difficulties of procedurally generated dungeons hold you back.

Another alternative might be designing by hand several different maps for each dungeon, then choosing one at random every time a new game starts.
That's a good idea, the other problem encounter system.
Can i make a walkabout NPC, move one step per player move?
Then when bump with player, can initialize a battle?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Yep! Those are fairly easy to do.

If you go into "general map data" on the map editor for each map, there is a field for an "each-step script." You can write a script that runs at the beginning of the map that suspends all NPC movement (suspend NPCs), then in the each-step script resume NPC movement (resume NPCs) for just one tick, allowing NPCs to move one tile.

For bumping into NPCs, that's even easier. It doesn't require plotscripting even, if you don't want to use it. You can make each NPC display a textbox that enters a battle afterward. This can be done in the textbox editor, under conditionals. Then, in the NPC editor in the map editor, set the NPC activation to "touch". This will cause a textbox to be run when the NPC is bumped into, which causes a battle to start. If you don't want the textbox to display, you can write a script that uses fight formation() to enter a battle immediately, then set that script to the NPC in the NPC editor. You also might want to make the NPC usable only once, so the battle doesn't get triggered again once the battle is over.

If you need more help or clarification on anything, I'm happy to help, unless someone else beats me to it.
Ps. I love my wife
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

Thanks for the help and ideas, I would give it a try, but I do not know how to use plotscript, I just started with OHRRPGCE. So maybe i will only try to use the methods without plotscript.

I need to know more about the program before asking a question (I think XD).
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hello!

There aren't many OHR roguelikes, but there are more than two. Have a look at the games tagged roguelike on the gamelist. Now, admittedly, most of these aren't much like a traditional roguelike (I think my own Carcere Vicis is the most traditional). But most of those game do have randomly generated maps.

Unpausing NPCs for one tick in the each-step script could work, but then NPCs set to the Wander movetype would only have a small chance to move. So it may be better to unpause for, say, four game ticks, which is still less than the time it takes the hero to make one move at the default walk speed.

But the each-step script happens after you finish a step. I tried it out (see the gif to the right), and I think it's alright.

Importing a script is easy. Here are some instructions:

1) Create a new text file, name it something like basicrl.txt. Make sure you use a text editor like Notepad, NOT a WYSIWYG word editor like Wordpad or Word.
Paste the following into it and then save it:

Code: Select all

plotscript, map autorun, begin
  suspend NPCs
end

# An on-keypress script
plotscript, let NPCs move, begin
  resume NPCs
  wait(4)
  suspend NPCs
end

plotscript, start battle, formation number, begin
  fight formation(formation number)
end
2) Go to the Script Management menu. Select Compile and/or Import Scripts. Browse to your .txt file and select it. HSpeak should pop up in a new window, ending with "done (0.10 seconds) [Press Any Key]". Press a key to clos it. Then Custom should say it imported 3 scripts

3) Go the Edit General Map Data for your map. Press Enter or Left/Right on Autorun Script, and select the "mapautorun" script. Do the same on On-Keypress Script and select "letnpcsmove".

4) If you want an NPC to start a battle when you touch it, without needing a textbox, then in the NPC editor, go to Run Script and select "startbattle". Then input the enemy formation number as the Script Argument below it.
Attachments
basicrl0000.gif
basicrl0000.gif (78.03 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
Last edited by TMC on Sat May 13, 2017 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

And if you can figure out how to import the scripts, if you let us know exactly what behavior you want, if it's simple enough I'm happy to write it up and PM you the text file.
Ps. I love my wife
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

TMC, your game is exactly the game i want to make.

I played games made with OHRRPGCE like "Motrya" but never made one with it.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm not aware of any engine for creating roguelikes that doesn't require you to do lots of programming. I asked about engines on the Roguelike Development IRC channel, and everyone no one knew of any, unless you just modifiy the graphics and datafiles for an existing game (which can actually be fairly flexible).
But there are some roguelike engines like T-Engine that provide lots of things, so that less needs to be programmed anew.

And for the type of RL that you want to make, maybe using an engine for Zelda-like games could actually be a good starting point. The problem with using the OHRRPGCE is that if you want to perform attacks on NPCs while walking the map rather than using the built-in Final Fantasy-style battle system, then you need to script it completely yourself.

The OHRRPGCE is still a poor engine to use for a complex roguelike (although I think it's OK for a game like Tim-Tim's tower or Maze of the Red Mage). In fact, it's so badly suited, that for Carcere Vicis I didn't use normal HamsterSpeak (which is the OHR's scripting language) but instead created an used an extended version of it. It was a lot of work. The only reason I did it is that I'm one of the OHRRPGCE developers, so I have an interest in using it in unreasonable ways.
Last edited by TMC on Sun May 14, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AxulGamer
Slime

Post by AxulGamer »

TMC wrote:The OHRRPGCE is still a poor engine to use for a complex roguelike (although I think it's OK for a game like Tim-Tim's tower or Maze of the Red Mage). In fact, it's so badly suited, that for Carcere Vicis I didn't use normal HamsterSpeak (which is the OHR's scripting language) but instead created an used an extended version of it. It was a lot of work. The only reason I did it is that I'm one of the OHRRPGCE developers, so I have an interest in using it in unreasonable ways.
So, in the actual engine is not posible, it's a little sad.

I have another question, it's posible to have more than 60 heroes? i want to make a game like pokemon mystery dungeon, and the recluit system is included XD.

Or this need to inplement something that is not in the actual plotscript?