Some Zelda talk (SPOILERS)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

msw188
Metal Slime

Some Zelda talk (SPOILERS)

Post by msw188 »

I'm pretty anal about spoilers for this one, because I feel like even just the realization that you can climb practically anything is a magical moment that I'm glad I didn't recognize going in (even though I had seen some gameplay footage).

Whatever, I'm making this thread for those of us who have played the game to share our experiences, because I truly believe that this is one of those games where you could get a bunch of players in a room and everyone would have different stories to tell. Also, I'm currently proctoring a 3hr long final exam, so I've got some time to kill.

Here is a list, in no real order, of some of my favorite "holy slime that's awesome" moments playing this wonderful game.

1. First time getting struck by lightning. Taking a couple times to realize that I needed to unequip metal, even the bow that I wasn't using.

2. Walking up Mount Lanayru for the hell of it (super early in the game), and being greeted by a giant sliming dragon just chillin there.

3. Very first thing I did outside was pick up a stick. Then swung it around once or twice at some trees. Then tried a jump attack, not paying attention, and my stick struck against a rock and broke right away. Oops.

4. Finding first bow and first Korok just because I felt like climbing around in the Temple of Time.

5. Finding my first big door in the side of the mountain in Hebra. Working out how to open it was cool too, but just seeing something in the distance and slowly thinking, "that's no moon, that's a space station".

6. Trying to light some thorny vines on fire, I ran back to a cave where there was already a campfire, and lit a wooden weapon as a torch. Started walking back towards the vines, fire went out right away. "What the hell happened? ... Oh wait, it's raining dumbass!"

7. Eventide Island.

8. Lots of the photo memory searches were great. My first one, which I mentioned in the other thread, was the one with the dueling peaks in the background. I was searching for that for over an hour before I finally realized that the beginning plateau tower would be the best vantage point to look around from. It was way further from the mountains than I thought it'd be!! I purposely avoided talking to the painter guy, because I really loved searching for these things on my own.

9. Standing on a narrow (but steep) hilltop, pulled a treasure chest out of the ground. It flew up in the air, landed on me and knocked me off the hilltop rolling down into the lake far below. Oops.

10. Using the ice power from behind a waterfall to make myself stepping stones to 'climb' up.

Anybody have fun stories to share??
I am Srime
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I picked up a chicken in one of the towns, threw it in a pond, felt really bad when it couldn't swim.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The first korok was huge. Being rewarded for being super OCD in game is priceless. Post beating the game, finding out that I only have 205 of 900 seeds was breath taking.

Overall though, my biggest magical moment was finding out that I can not only slide on my shield but shoot arrows, jump, and kick flip attack, while doing so.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Another couple:
11. Trying to use a bomb arrow around Death Mountain.

12. Noticing that the Gerudo kids had stuffed sand seal toys, including the chief
I am Srime
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I finally started the game. Some thoughts I had.

- Finding out that there is a singular goddess now is a huge deal. I don't know if this was something that was established in Skyward Sword (which I haven't played) but it's very different from the previous deity story of Nayru, Din, and Farore.

- The Shiekah Slate is literally the iDroid and I still check the iDroid map twice every five seconds. Also the fact that the game is given voice acting for dialogue but the iDroid lacks voicing just makes it seem more apparent that Link is interacting with a computer.

- I don't know if anyone already did this, but since 8 minutes and 30 seconds is actually a long time for travelling, I went ahead and used a cold res drink to get to the shrine west of the River of Death (going the path through the west edge of the Plataeu on the mountains) and I was given the cold resistant clothing as a reward instead of needing to guess what ingredient I need and also go out to get the raw meat to receive the clothing.

- I've mostly been avoiding enemies since they seem to exist for me to go around with alternate paths. Their line of sight is horrifically bad so it's very easy to do this.
I'm pretty anal about spoilers for this one, because I feel like even just the realization that you can climb practically anything is a magical moment that I'm glad I didn't recognize going in (even though I had seen some gameplay footage).
Yeah, Link climbs as well as a player in Elder Scrolls 3 can jump up mountains.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Yeah I made a cold resistant food to get to the top of the mountain and got the clothes as a reward for making it there. Didn't think very precisely about travel times, just didn't feel like trying to figure out a recipe and was more into playing in the snow. I started with a torch to keep warm since I had no real idea how long it would take to get anywhere or find anything. Which meant no climbing for as long as possible!

And yeah, Link basically has an iPhone, and its great. Although you do bring up the voice acting - definitely one of the few things I'm not a huge fan of in the game.

Also wanted to mention, I had no idea about the attack thing while surfing, just tried it last night, that's great. I also had no idea about the chickens, but of course I didn't try that because it would make me a horrible person.
I am Srime
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Link's had Nintendo handhelds as items in a few games now, the earliest I can think of is the Tingle Tuner being a GBA in Wind Waker. It actually drove me nuts that I couldn't play the game on my TV while using the Wii U screen as a quick map/inventory screen, but I guess they didn't want to give it any features that couldn't work on the Switch too.

I didn't mind the voice acting but it certainly wasn't good. It was pretty middle of the road, as far as games go. My biggest complaint is the motion control shrines where you have to roll the balls; I normally love ball rolling games but these were just crazy unresponsive. Aiming sensitivity with the bow felt off the entire game too, there's too big of a deadzone and the acceleration is weird. I got used to it but never liked it, I'm used to modern games letting me adjust sensitivity. None of these are huge issues though, the game's still the best 3D Zelda.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed May 10, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Ah, yeah. Definitely not the first time Link has used something based on a real world device, but it just feels so identical to the MGS5 iDroid that the sense of familiarity right down to the habit of constantly checking the map is there.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

I didn't like the motion control puzzles either. It was just too hard to tell what tilt of the controller meant 'flat' or 'horizontal' or whatever. I basically cheated on the rolling-ball-maze and tried to get the ball to start on the home stretch when it re-spawned from the ceiling. I never minded the arrow aiming (all this was with the Switch controller that you hook the small controllers up to).

There are definitely other small things I could complain about in the game. There are a few singular spots where you actually don't get what you would expect out of some action. Maybe because these spots are so rare, though, they stick out a bit more in memory. As a simple example, apparently I can't use wind to blow a pile of leaves away, but I can set it on fire instead. Even though there are places where you can see leaves fluttering in the wind. Oops.

The metal-box-matching and the stone-pattern-completing can be a little repetitive, but I still had fun with a lot of them. But the three-trees-in-a-row thing. I didn't figure this one out for an embarrassingly long time, and the first time was great, but now they seem to be all precisely the same which is actually just lazy. Which is astounding given how much thought and care seems to have been put into almost everything else about the game.

Can I mention how much I loved the 'dungeons' in this game, even if none of them created the 'lost underground' feeling of some earlier Zelda dungeons? Can I also mention how much I really loved exploring Hyrule Castle, and how much I wish there were more dungeons like this in addition to the great dungeons we do have?
I am Srime
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Probably my favorite dungeons in a Zelda game overall. The Ruto one felt too short, but still great.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I just met a bard that's also a bird. Surprised they didn't make the character a bald eagle, that would have been bold.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

So I figured out early that Bokoblins can't swim. But just the other day my friend was shooting them from the other side of a stream, and they eventually tried to cross it, and drowned themselves. It was really funny.
I am Srime
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Equipping Fire elemental weapons are an easy way to keep warm when regular warm clothing aren't enough.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

On the topic of keeping warm. I found that the red slime blobs you collect from the red chuchus is great for starting fires.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

I definitely used the fire weapons to keep warm all the time (and the ice weapons to keep cool). But I never experimented with using any of the elemental jelly bits for much.

I also barely used the balloons at all. I once tried to use them to float a rock over to where it could fall into the circle of rocks in the water, but it didn't work.
I am Srime