Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Two more reviews:
Spooks and Summons
Void Pyramid

If I'm not mistaken, that's all the games and now it's the Compilation List for me.
Do I have to review the entries there as a single review?
I guess the rules say so, but I'd like to review the "Magic and Monsters Tech Demo"-game as some kind of comic-comment thing, but I already reviewed Nathan's Halloween, and I don't want to mix them together.
Last edited by marionline on Mon May 15, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No, the rules are that you can combine all the reviews if you want to, because a lot of them may be short. If you want to write a full-length review, feel free to.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Yeah, the rule just means that you need at least 3 paragraphs total among all your compilation game reviews. You also don't need to review every game on the compilation list if you don't want to.

That said Surfasaurus was just moved to the main list since RMZ offered free copies for reviewers, so you have one more required game left.
Last edited by SDHawk on Wed May 17, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Okay, thanks for clarifying the rules. :)

About RMZ's game, Steam says it's only for windows and I'm not using a windows machine.
And it also looks like I need to sign in to download the game, is that correct?
(I'd rather not do that.)

For now, I'll just continue the compilation list.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Overgrowth Demo got a Review
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

This is a review for Fruity Quest, it was uploaded on CastleParadox and therefore I can not post the review in the review-section on SlimeSalad:

Review for Fruity Quest
Infos
The unfinished game "FruityQuest" by DarkLordCale was released in 2016 on CastleParadox. There is states the game version was final, but I doubt it.
For the 2016 Review Contest it was on the Compilation List, so it's either a very short game or a demo. It feels like a unfinished demo version.

Plot
The game begins with a fair warning. It asks you:" Why the sliming hell did you download this?" and from that on it get's confusing enriched with a couple of swearword. ':gonk:'

**Bravo! Great Design!**
I really liked ...
  • - the town tiles on the world map
    - that there were cut scenes
**Things that could be improved:**
  • - there are a lot of text boxes, they don't always made sense
    - the plot - if one calls that plot - is wired in a dizzying kind of way
    - the graphics are really bad. I assume some might be ripped from other games but I am not sure about that
    - Euphemistically speaking: Some enemies design choices and well as some attack names were not chosen wisely
Overall Impression:
The graphics need a redo, the walking animations feel like they are placed in the wrong slot of the OHR Editor(!)- but maybe that was a bug. The tiles look partly blocky. The text boxes are no less confusing, since they contain the dialogue for several characters. It would have been better to have one textbox for one person's words only, even if that means more text boxes, it would have worked better. The dialogue would have looked more fast paced and less wall-of-text-like. The game maker seems to have put some work in to assemble several images in cut scenes. But many things inside this game still need a lot of work.
On the whole the "game" is in a very, very unfinished state- even if it's a demo. Why the sliming hell did someone upload this?
Attachments
several people talking on one textbox
several people talking on one textbox
FRUITY0027.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
yeah, that's cool... well, not really.
yeah, that's cool... well, not really.
FRUITY0038.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
rape as an attack name?! Seriously? (Did you mean to rap?)
rape as an attack name?! Seriously? (Did you mean to rap?)
FRUITY0050.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

A review for Dark Planet (VERY UNFINISHED version)
And I wrote 3 Mini-Review on Gizmog's game: Yi, Gomie's LoveTester and Color Organizer.
I posted them as review, but since they are short, they are meant to count as one review (Just did not know how to submit that).

Here's a the also short *Overall Impression*-Part for the review:

On the whole, out of all three I liked the screen saver, Yi, best.
The LoveTester-thing was rather puzzling (with there cryptic chinese ratings).
Color Organizer seems to be a useful tool for people who use altered color palettes, but I usually don't. The tool has potential, but more functionality would be good.
Neither Gomie's LoveTester nor Color Organizer were really fun to use.
But Yi the screen saver is fun to look at! That's why I like it best from the three programs. :)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Gizmog wrote a commentary on LoverTester last year as a reply to his own commentary of Fridge Racer for the 2015 in Review challenge; very confusing!
(And I just replied to your review)

TheLordThyGod put up a thread about the LinearQuests here which I think can count as a commentary.
Last edited by TMC on Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I've just realised that there are some tech demos missing from the list of games released in 2016! Which tech demos? Well Giz's of course.

I used the gamedump.php page to put together a list of files that were updated in 2016. Here it is. (I should have thought of this earlier!) This was actually created from a copy of that page I saved in January, so aside from deleted downloads it shouldn't be missing anything.
Note: The timezone used for those date stamps is UTC+12. firework3d.zip was actually released at very close to midnight New Year's Eve. I can't remember whether Giz is in Kansas or Kentucky and daylight savings is confusing, so I don't know what year you want to count that as.

Giz's watereffect.zip is missing, as is firework3d.zip (maybe?)

Menu001.zip and Menu003.zip are also missing, but they're for the multicart (only Menu003 is currently used), so it makes sense to exclude.

I looked through the list and found nothing else missing. (Those that are didn't mean the criteria.)
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

TheLordThyGod View has been writing some reviews, but did not mention it here.
Also, it's gotten a bit quite here, hasn't it?
I guess besides C.Kane and Surfasaurus (that are both on Steam) and Magic and Monsters (tech demo), only the wandering hamster is left to review.
Anyone knows how long that game is?
I played up to Bostate's Castle. If the game is really long I should better write a review of half-the game, than missing the deadline for a review.
And well, before I forget here's a review for Dungeon Bout Alpha.

@TMC: The list is a good idea! (We should use it next year. :) )
I can not find the watereffect.zip like in the screen saver list. I only found the forework3d.zip.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I think Broaste's castle is about the 2/3 point of Wandering Hamster.

After that you have Gallopeg Forest, Jormungandling's belly, and the half-finished Kelp Reef
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

marionline wrote:TheLordThyGod View has been writing some reviews, but did not mention it here.
Also, it's gotten a bit quite here, hasn't it?
I guess besides C.Kane and Surfasaurus (that are both on Steam) and Magic and Monsters (tech demo), only the wandering hamster is left to review.
Anyone knows how long that game is?
I played up to Bostate's Castle. If the game is really long I should better write a review of half-the game, than missing the deadline for a review.
And well, before I forget here's a review for Dungeon Bout Alpha.

@TMC: The list is a good idea! (We should use it next year. :) )
I can not find the watereffect.zip like in the screen saver list. I only found the forework3d.zip.
I can send a non-Steam version of Kane over to you if you want to review it. Just let me know what operating system you're using.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

That would be cool. I'm using the OHR on Linux.
I'd like to review the game, but I can't promise to make it before the deadline of the contest.
I'm still busy with the wandering hamster game (and real life). Maybe the review would be written after the contest.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

marionline wrote:I can not find the watereffect.zip like in the screen saver list. I only found the forework3d.zip.
It's the fourth zip file on that page. Of course it's just a tiny tech demo, as you can tell by the name.