(Beta Testing) 1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Willy Elektrix wrote:I'll change the "something something" part.
MorpheusKitami wrote:I wasn't referring to the text formatting, I was just a little unimpressed by the fictional part of the credits. Well, parts of it anyway.
Cool. Let's make it better! Want to rewrite it for me? If you don't want to bother, I'll can do it, but give me some ideas.
Hmm, how long do I have on this? It's not that I'm busy, just rather distracted by a different game, and it's completely shot my productivity to hell.

Now about the complaints about a forest: I thought that while vague, the barren landscape combined with the location of items would be a subtle hint to further item locations. Hence, the "follow the trail". I'll try to make that more...obvious.

@Sword: Wait, left and up? This was from the red hub right? Which ending did you get?
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

MorpheusKitami wrote:Hmm, how long do I have on this? It's not that I'm busy, just rather distracted by a different game, and it's completely shot my productivity to hell.
However long you want. I'll update it when you're ready.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Owlbears 17.05.10 has just been released. It still runs megallennium.rpg upon quitting so Willy should be able to just copy the .rpg file over.

Also, should "a forest" be a game that's unlocked and not revealed from the start? It would be slightly more creepy if it appeared when you don't expect it, maybe after the player has tried every game at least once?
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Newbie Newtype wrote:Also, should "a forest" be a game that's unlocked and not revealed from the start? It would be slightly more creepy if it appeared when you don't expect it, maybe after the player has tried every game at least once?
Sounds cool. How would I script that? Not sure how to save the "has been played" tag through multiple sessions. I guess just by saving behind the scenes each time a game is run? What do you think?
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Just detect when the script tied to the menu item is run and save that flag somewhere onto a save file before using the run game command.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Newbie Newtype wrote:Owlbears 17.05.10 has just been released. It still runs megallennium.rpg upon quitting so Willy should be able to just copy the .rpg file over.
I want to make some changes to a forest too. I'll upload a new version of the multi-cart on Friday night with both the Owlbears and forest fixes.

I'll restart the high score thread at that time too.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Unlocking that game is a great idea!
Maybe you'll want to remove a forest from the manual, since there's no information about it anyway. Just leaving it in the credits section is a nice obscure reference to it.

Normally I would say you use exportglobals and importglobals to save state, but in this case you could load and save the game instead. But then you would need to use both a newgame and loadgame script.

Oh, I completely forgot to point out a few other things.
James Paige is misspelt as "James Page" in two places in the manual. Newbie also copied over that same typo to the Owlbears description. (BTW, I don't care, but if you want a fairly complete credits list for the engine, I suggested "James & Ralph are the developers of the OHRRPGCE along with Mike, Simon, Jay, Yuriy and yet more contributors" for Surlaw's game.)
Also, "MorpheusKitami" is inconsistently written as "Morpheus Kitami" all over the place, seems a bit sloppy.

So I just tried out the new Owlbears. It seems that the flight paths of the gremlins has changed. Is this intentional, or just result of the faster scaling? It seems a bit like a bug. Now the grelims generally fly around the screen about once almost entirely off the border of the screen, just appearing at one or two corners if at all, and being impossible to hit at this early stage. I can't even tell how many times they circle before diving (although I realise this is random), since you can't see how many grelims have spawned or where they are.
Here's an easy target, the score for my first game: 65,900.

BTW, if the only scripts you're using from the 3rd party HSI are the trig functions, I wrote those and I don't care about attribution; they're going to be built into the engine at some point anyway. Even the whole package doesn't ask for attribution.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hotfixed.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

kylekrack wrote:The file structure for the multicart is wacky. I guess all you have to do is find the executable, but there are so many files in that one folder that it's messy, to say the least. I don't know how possible it is to change this, given complications with Game.exe running .rpg files automatically and the run game() command. Still, I think it's worth looking into. It's not good to make the user feel overwhelmed just trying to run and play the collection.
I'm not sure how to fix this, but I totally agree.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Well, RunGame says you can define a path. We could put all the non-menu games into a folder called Games, or even a folder for each individual game, and have the script point to those rather than directly to the rpg files in the same directory?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Gizmog wrote:Well, RunGame says you can define a path. We could put all the non-menu games into a folder called Games, or even a folder for each individual game, and have the script point to those rather than directly to the rpg files in the same directory?
Yeah, that doesn't look too complicated at all if run game takes directories as input.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Version 1.01 is out.

*There are typo fixes in "a forest", and now it is hidden away and must be unlocked. *Typo corrections in the readme.
*Owlbears has a new version.
Gizmog wrote:Well, RunGame says you can define a path. We could put all the non-menu games into a folder called Games, or even a folder for each individual game, and have the script point to those rather than directly to the rpg files in the same directory?
One problem with with this. You run game "games/drmoon.rpg". When you quit Dr. Moonlight, "megallennium.rpg" is run. However, "megallennium.rpg" is not in the same directory as Dr. Moonlight so it won't run when Dr. Moonlight closes.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Sat May 13, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

oof, bad timing because I'm about to upload a new version of Owlbears.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Willy Elektrix wrote:
One problem with with this. You run game "games/drmoon.rpg". When you quit Dr. Moonlight, "megallennium.rpg" is run. However, "megallennium.rpg" is not in the same directory as Dr. Moonlight so it won't run when Dr. Moonlight closes.
Can't use "run game(../megallennium.rpg)"?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

We will have to change all of our plotscripts to run "../megallennium.rpg", which is kind of annoying.

EDIT: Uploaded Owlbears 17.05.12
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Sat May 13, 2017 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.