(Beta Testing) 1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I played Owlbears some more. I didn't manage to beat my previous high score of 26000 :(. I tried for a while to figure out how combos work, but couldn't. It seemed random. Eventually I had to give up and read the readme. I still don't understand the "get lots of points early" advice, I don't really see how you can go about doing that when there aren't many enemies spawning.

Only allowing one shot in flight at once is actually pretty annoying because it makes the controls feel laggy. If you're not aware of it (it actually took me a long time to notice) and actively watching, it feels like there's a random delay before the fire button works. Of course, it does mean that there's a strategy to letting the enemies get close, and that it's a bad idea to shoot to the left if you might miss

Finally, it does feel unfair that you can only shoot the gremlins on their final swoop at you half the time, depending on the angle they approach that. But since they appear to circle randomly, I guess that' pretty hard to change.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

The combo system is based on how many enemies you kill in a row in the same lane so it is best to keep it in mind during the early game.

The gremlins just require good timing on your shots. They all travel at the same angle, but spawn in different places.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Here's some bugs I found in Dr. Moonlight.

*When you eat a sandwich, the "Tasty" message does not disappear off the screen. Also, one time I picked up iron or lead bullets and the same thing happened.

*The masked man does not attach the player.

*If you eat a sandwich, it can heal you past your maximum HP.

*The enemies can still move while you read text boxes. For instance, if you want to read a book on the shelf, an enemy can still come over and attack. Though realistic, this makes it very difficult to play some of the weaker characters that must avoid most fights.

I'll play more tomorrow. Randomized intro text and item placement is a nice touch! Thanks for the great improvements!
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

More Dr. Moonlight...

What does the bulletproof vest do? It makes your dodge slightly worse, but does it give you resistance against any attacks? I can't tell...

Shouldn't the werewolf have a weakness to silver bullets? Currently, he doesn't seem to.

Did you take the "grave dust" item out of the game? I can't find it.

If you pick up 2 items quickly in succession, the text in the upper left corner of the screens appears doubled. When you pick up the 2nd item, it should clear the text from the 1st item.

I love the ending scene with all the prizes!
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

New version of PicOHRoss is available on the updated multi-cart.

PicOHRoss...

The game opens in window mode. There isn't a menu command to make it full screen either. In general (not particularly with this game) there is some weird behavior between the window/full screen modes and the "run game" command. I asked TMC about this. I suspect we might have to run the compilation in all full screen all the time with no option for windowed, but we'll see what he says.

When using the keyboard, I noticed something weird. Let's say you move the cursor against the right wall of the puzzle. Then you press right again (as if to push the cursor off the puzzle), the cursor will stay in the same place, but if you try to press up or down it will not move until you press left. In other words, it seems like the cursor actually moves 1 square off the board, even though the cursor icon does not move.

When the game first starts, the keyboard is suspended for about 3 seconds. I assume this is a check to make sure that the mouse isn't moving. It's kind of annoying. If there isn't a way to fix it, I understand though.

Has anyone actually won this yet? I'm starting to figure it out, but I'm a ways from actually being successful. I'll keep playing.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I already know about the keyboard movement getting stuck at edges but that was after I had already sent the file, sorry.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Reply to Willy's Dr Moonlight comments:

- I think the gravedust is (sometimes? always?) in a bin of some sort, not sitting visibly on a surface

- I do remember the vest making a difference, but I'm not sure about it

- I never had any trouble with messages getting stuck on the screen, although I did notice them doubling up when you picked up two rapidly

- I thought that sandwiches healing above max hp was intentional, I even mentioned the strategy of wolfing down all your sandwiches at the start. But come to think of it, I'm not sure if there's reason not to do that.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Willy Elektrix wrote:*When you eat a sandwich, the "Tasty" message does not disappear off the screen. Also, one time I picked up iron or lead bullets and the same thing happened.

*The masked man does not attach the player.

*If you eat a sandwich, it can heal you past your maximum HP.

Shouldn't the werewolf have a weakness to silver bullets? Currently, he doesn't seem to.
All of these are fixed.
*The enemies can still move while you read text boxes. For instance, if you want to read a book on the shelf, an enemy can still come over and attack. Though realistic, this makes it very difficult to play some of the weaker characters that must avoid most fights.
All the readable items are easily detected due to being unique from other areas. This isn't a problem.
What does the bulletproof vest do? It makes your dodge slightly worse, but does it give you resistance against any attacks? I can't tell...
It protects you from bullets. Absolutely guaranteed. A little damage might sneak through, but you should see some noticeable reduction in bullet damage.
Did you take the "grave dust" item out of the game? I can't find it.
Nope, it's still there, but there are two more locations where it lies.
If you pick up 2 items quickly in succession, the text in the upper left corner of the screens appears doubled. When you pick up the 2nd item, it should clear the text from the 1st item.
This one could be tricky, but I think I got it.
Has anyone actually won this yet? I'm starting to figure it out, but I'm a ways from actually being successful. I'll keep playing.
I thought it was fairly obvious from my post that I won. I've actually gotten quite good at winning in it. Mind you, I've played a slimeload of Picross games in the past, so I have a certain amount of skill at it...
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I done it
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 11.54.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 11.54.01 PM.png (43.79 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

One more thought about Dr. Moonlight. Maybe the Gravedust should also let you detect the invisible man? It is dust after all. It would help because sometimes the flour spawns in the room with the invisible man, which is pretty tough to handle.

I think I'm done testing everyone else's games. Only mine are left now. I need your opinions on something!

Here is a link to a version of Ultra Frontier with enhanced graphics.

It is only the first 6 levels or so. I need you guys to play it (more than just a minute or two) and let me know if you think the parallax scrolling and new tiles are hard on your eyes. Some people think they are and some people disagree. I need some more opinions. Thanks for your help!

There is a tiny bug where the scrolling doesn't stop at the end of the level. I can fix that, but ignore it for now.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Unfortunately, I think the tiles at the top and bottom definitely cause eye-strain. In the middle it seems to just be slightly distracting. Background is nice, so even if the moving version is causing eye-strain, try making it static.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, I worked out how to play picohross and beat a board. It's fun, addictive, and looks nice. It's not so hard either since the board is so dense.
But why didn't I get a big YOU WIN! like Kylekrack? :(
I noticed a bug: as you can see in the screenshot, the bottom-left 5 in the top panel of numbers never greyed out.
Also, is there any significance to whether the numbers are blue or white?

When I looked at the readme I saw that you can place ? tiles too. It would be nice if you could place these with the mouse too, say by middle-clicking.

(I'm using version 17.04.09, from the Megallennium 03 release)
Attachments
5bug.png
5bug.png (6.92 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
Last edited by TMC on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

TMC wrote:OK, I worked out how to play picohross and beat a board. It's fun, addictive, and looks nice. It's not so hard either since the board is so dense.
Maybe NN just thought I needed the extra moral support.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Glad to hear the game is enjoyable. :)

I'm still on the fence about mapping the ? to middle mouse button. It's such an uncomfortable button to press that I feel like it's better to just encourage players to use the keyboard button alongside the mouse. Maybe I should use mouse 4 or 5 since apparently that works with mouse wheel and would possibly enable support for gaming mice with additional buttons?
That is weird, I've beaten the game over a dozen times and called the win screen directly without fail. I'd need a way to reproduce it.
I noticed a bug: as you can see in the screenshot, the bottom-left 5 in the top panel of numbers never greyed out.
Visual bug I've been too lazy to fix.
Also, is there any significance to whether the numbers are blue or white?
Mostly to visually separate numbers for easier readability.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No, you can't use mouse buttons 4 and 5 for the mouse wheel yet; I didn't finish that. (I didn't think about mice with extra buttons, but that definitely won't work right now, could try to keep the possibility open). However, using the mouse wheel may be better than using the middle button. Noone ever middle clicks on anything, but they use the mouse wheel (if they have one) all the time.

Newbie. Did you put some kind of killswitch in owlbears to trigger X weeks in the future? I'm going insane here because the game has gone bonkers and I couldn't figure out why. First I tried replacing the .rsav file, then I tried unzipping a fresh copy, then I tried running the previous version (which also wasn't working), then I tried compiling a version of the OHR from a month ago, thinking I'd screwed something up bad...

(Also, why does the gif play slower than the original game? ASDHasdhald1`231)
Attachments
owlbears0004.gif
owlbears0004.gif (253.57 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Last edited by TMC on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.