Open Game Idea/Designs for multicart

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

How do you feel about working together to create games?

I don't need any help, nor do I want it (I am self-sufficient, and I don't care if others are)
20%
Sharing ideas/resources is okay (being nice to each other is cool)
60%
Let's work together to create the best game possible, okay? (nothing better than helping your friends)
20%
But we always work alone! That's our tradition! (I'm afraid of change)
No votes
Without working together, I'm not sure I could even create a game (it's okay to ask for help)
No votes

Total votes: 5

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Open Game Idea/Designs for multicart

Post by SwordPlay »

I think this multi-cart project is... not quite right...
I am really not sure why everyone is doing their own thing and hoping to meet in the middle.

Brainstorming is a really cool technique, when you do it with other talented people, your friends etc.

For example, one might create a thread in which various ideas are pitched, fleshed out, and then assigned/shared between game developers.

By pitching ideas in a central thread, more experienced programmers could tell you whether your concept is plausible, easy, and even offer help.

Talented artists might like the sound of your project! They might offer to do some music or artworks for free if they feel the vibe!

Game designers can pitch in with various ideas, concepts, and help one go through the gameplay elements.

More experienced game developers can comment on themes, atmosphere, cohesiveness, and also help to bring all the games in the multicart in-line and make sure it is fitting for the theme (8-bit, right?)

What do you guys think? Is that something you would prefer?
Or is working alone really hamster-y?
Personally, there is nothing more noble, good, meritorious, heroic etc. than working together for a good cause.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

http://blog.trello.com/group-brainstorm ... te-of-time

Also relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGAwp5syXyE

In all seriousness though, I've been working on my own game for months on my own and it's kind of My Thing and also a personal challenge to actually finish a damn game for once. However, a ton of the stuff that makes my game work was done thanks to others (especially TMC, who has been an absolute boss).

Also, no offense but ideas are cheap. Actually executing them is the hard part, IMO.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

The problem with brainstorming is to give equal weighting to all ideas with no clear direction or aim.

I agree, ideas are cheap, but good ideas are invaluable, even if they don't get implemented.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
F8Sean
Slime

Post by F8Sean »

I'm walking in late after a long absence from this community so I haven't followed the multicart as closely as everyone else. From what I see, I'd call it a game jam with a multicart theme, so I'd expect it to be a bit chaotic.

If you really wanted it to be a collaboration, it needs a project manager and a schedule. One week everyone submits character sprites. Next week is environment objects. Then music, sound effects, and the PM puts it all together. Then everyone uses the collected resources to make as many games as possible, so you have repeated resources between games, every other game has the same music, and it's weird like a real multicart.

TLDR: Independent this time, more structured next time.