changing bits of CUSTOM

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Very nice! Looking forward to getting back to my computer next week so I can try drawing some tiles with this :)

Is there a keyboard key to toggle it?
Wendigo
Red Slime

Post by Wendigo »

TMC wrote: I should have asked whether you wanted to be credited as "Wendigo" or something else (you can change it yourself).
I don't know, guess Wendigo is better known here in the forum. Nobody knows who Matthias is.
I actually don't mind.
Bob the Janster wrote:Is there a keyboard key to toggle it?
Currently not but it is a good idea. Is there a list of already used keyboard shortcuts somewhere?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

We could always credit you by your full name on the first occasion and first name/nickname afterwards; we've done that with several other people.

All controls are always documented on the help page for each editor, with the occasional exception of debug keys. Not always a very compact listing though. I'd like to put markup around them so that we can auto-generate compact lists of shortcut keys.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wendigo
Red Slime

Post by Wendigo »

new commit:
Hit "P" to toggle the preview.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Thanks, committed.

Heh, I just remembered that Ichiro (who is working on the C# HamsterLib library for reading .rpg files) is also named Matthias, but he hasn't contributed patches to the engine itself and isn't known here by his real name.
Wendigo
Red Slime

Post by Wendigo »

Maybe I'll just stay "Wendigo" then to not confuse everyone.
TMC wrote:[s]-preview the surrounding tiles while editing a single tile in the maptile editor[/s]
[s]-fix the crashes in 64 bit builds, by removing the last few GOSUBs (doesn't even require understanding the code)[/s]
-implement the global shortcut keys or jumping between editors (Option 2 above). Most of the work is testing nothing bad happens. Or searching for all the places where pressing Enter should jump to another menu.
-any kind of script command (e.g. I just realised we should have one to read all the lines from a textbox, joined together)
-more attack settings, like a fixed % chance to hit "Aim Math" type.
-zone triggers, setting a tag or triggering a script when you enter, exit, or take a step in a zone: the engine already tracks which zones each hero and NPC is in
But I ran into a more serious problem: Now that the preview is finished I need something new to do. ;)
Could you elaborate a bit more on the "any kind of script command" task please?
Last edited by Wendigo on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The only reason I know Ichiro's real name is from HamsterLib commit messages.

Adding a new script command is the one thing I documented in detail: How to add a new script command

If you're thinking of adding that command to read a text file, here is the function to determine file encoding that I mentioned. But it's not very robust (the FB compiler's unicode support is not very good), since UTF8 files don't necessarily have a BOM marker at the beginning of the file. I think it's best to run the input through the UTF8 decoder if there's no BOM, and treat it as 8-bit text (Latin-1) if it's not valid UTF8. Or if you prefer, I can just add the code to take care of dealing with file encoding afterwards.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

out of curiosity, what will happen to weapon animations if more frames are added to i.e. herosets?
And what of attack animations?
What will the correspondences be? What will the timing be like for animations to be played during a hero animation? Could we set when this occurs in the animation editor? can we change the duration of attack animations and weapon animations?
It would be nice to be able to choose the specific frames/timings of, say, attack animations and insert it onto a hero animation.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I don't know! Those are really hard things to decide.

I guess that for each hero frame with a hand point, you should also be able to say which frame of the weapon should be displayed, instead of there being a weapon animation.
But sometimes you might want to give animations to a weapon, like if the character is holding a crossbow, and the crossbow discharges while the character is motionless. I guess that could be handled by an animation command (in the hero's attack animation) to tell the weapon to play a certain animation... like maybe "Tell attached slice: Run <Animation>" Maybe that's too complicated.

There's a general need to synchronise different animations and events, both in time and location. Such as having warm-up animations before attacking, casting, moving. Handle points can be used for location, but what about time? I guess those could be special markers in the list of animation commands, like loop points. The markers could have special meanings (the point in a hero attack animation at which the attack actually happens), or user-defined, such as putting the same sync points in two different animations. I'm probably overcomplicating things again.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I'd also like to be able to control things like how many time an animation cycles when e.g. a hero steps forward or a projectile is fired.

It might be an idea to have types of animation patterns which can be filled in by the user.
So sprites would still move on the screen, but the actual animation would be defined by the user (for each animation, hopefully)
There might be a default and minimum timing too.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Trying to compile but it tells me:

Code: Select all

gcc -o build/os_unix.o -c -O3 -DFBCVERSION=1050 -m32 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-sse -g -Wall --std=gnu99 os_unix.c
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h&#58;27&#58;0,
                 from fb/fb_stub.h&#58;25,
                 from os_unix.c&#58;11&#58;
/usr/include/features.h&#58;367&#58;25&#58; fatal error&#58; sys/cdefs.h&#58; No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
scons&#58; *** &#91;build/os_unix.o&#93; Error 1
scons&#58; building terminated because of errors.
I'm using 64 bit Ubuntu, and 64-bit custom doesn't seem to work for me, (I use the 32bit version) I don't know why either. I don't know any coding or programming, I just want to add shortcut keys to the slice editor.

I want to help out, but I'm not good at coding or programming.
I wish I could do some work on the source files somehow, but I'm really learning through tinkering.
Sorry to put you guys through coding gymnastics. I know it's frustrating when you're working on a specific part, and you get loads of requests for other things at the same time (many of which are already planned)
Would it be worthwhile to discuss feature suggestions on the wiki?
I feel that would be an easier way of managing many requests, and being able to view the most relevant ones.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm using 64 bit Ubuntu, and 64-bit custom doesn't seem to work for me,
Why not? Please help us fix it!
Try running ohrrpgce-custom from the command line, so that you can see any error message that's printed. You can also try running "ldd $(which ohrrpgce-custom)" to check if any libraries it needs are missing.

The error you got when trying to compile is because scons defaults to compiling for 32 bit even on a 64 bit machine, but you don't have the necessary packages installed to do that. Run "scons arch=64" to do a 64 bit build. If you want to do a 32 bit build, try installing libc6-dev-i386 with apt-get, and if that still doesn't work, install g++-multilib.

Sure, a page on the wiki for suggestions is a good idea. That would be better than me keeping my own list of things I'm personally interested in; it'll prevent them from getting lost. zzo38 already has his own page on the wiki for suggestions.
Please keep them organised into categories.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Thank you TMC. No problem. I will do that.

I just tried running 64 bit CUSTOM in a terminal and it works!
When I double click on it nothing seems to happen.

When I double click on 32 bit CUSTOM it runs,
and i assumed the same would be true for the 64 bit.
Not sure why tbh, but happy that it works at least!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

That's really odd.
I assume you have the 64-bit ohrrpgce-custom in a writable directory. Does it create a c_debug.txt file when you double click it? The file will probably be put in ~/Documents instead of next to ohrrpgce-custom. That file might provide the answers, if it exists.