Latest nightly doesn't recognize slice lookups, tags, etc.

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Latest nightly doesn't recognize slice lookups, tags, etc.

Post by Foxley »

I thought it was weird when I downloaded the 3/29/2017 nightly and suddenly the filesize of both game.exe and custom.exe were both about 1.5MB bigger than the previous download, but then I got an even nastier surprise. My game scripts no longer compile. Whenever there's any sort of lookup, like map:_ or sli:_ or tag:_, it says

Code: Select all

Unrecognised name ____. It has not been defined as script, constant,
variable, or anything else
My game relies on a lot of slice collection lookups and tags, so my game is un-compilable until this gets fixed, or someone can point me to where I can download older nightlies (I looked all over http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Downloads and couldn't find anything with older nightlies).
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I finally found the old nightlies and tested all of them. Same thing is happening with all of them. Also I forgot to mention that I am deleting and recreating the .HSI file for my game and that didn't help.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It looks like it's not finding the .hsi file.
Going back to a previous version of game/custom wouldn't have helped if you didn't also replace hspeak.exe. The latest version of hspeak is 3Pe, since two weeks ago. In that version I changed how hspeak searches for included files. Coincidence? I think not.

How do you run custom.exe? From a shortcut (eg on the desktop or start menu), or by double clicking the actual custom.exe?
I should be able to test this easily myself though. But not tonight.

As a workaround, just use an old version of hspeak for now. You can safely mix and match different versions of custom.exe, hspeak.exe, and plotscr.hsd. If there is any incompatibility it will be safely detected and you will get an error message (and there hasn't been one for years).
Last edited by TMC on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Not sure if we ever actually announced this or not, but the preferred method of importing a script is to press F5 on the main menu in custom.

That means that hspeak gets run automatically, and your hsi gets created automatically

The old method of compiling it yourself and importing the .hs file is still supposed to work though. Thank you for reporting the bug.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Pressing F5 is just a convenience, it compiles and imports the scripts in an identical way to using the menu, so won't have an effect on this bug. (It was announced only in whatsnew, but that's a bad place to document unobvious features)

In recently nightly builds you can also press F9 to reimport scripts from any menu, not just the main menu. So that F5 shortcut is redundant, I kept it only to avoid confusion.

But I should add a message about F9 somewhere prominent like the bottom of the main menu, so that people learn about it.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Opps! I am behind the times! :)

I had not even tried out the F9 menu yet, it is great!

I just added a note about compiling with F9 to the bottom of the screen when you are in the "Script Management" menu.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Alright, can someone just link me to a working copy of HSPEAK?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Try the hspeak.exe from the Callipygous stable release. That should be fully compatible, and does not have the recent nightly changes

I would still like to figure out why the new version is breaking.

Can you post:

* The full path name where your rpg file is located
* The full path name where your nightly custom is installed
* The full path name where your non-working hspeak.exe is located (if you know)
* The full path name where your plotscr.hsd is located
* What version of Windows/Mac/Linux are you using

...actually now that I think of it, most, if not all of that will be in your c_debug.txt and c_debug_archive.txt files :)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Bob the Hamster wrote: Can you post:

* The full path name where your rpg file is located
* The full path name where your nightly custom is installed
* The full path name where your non-working hspeak.exe is located (if you know)
* The full path name where your plotscr.hsd is located
* What version of Windows/Mac/Linux are you using
* %USERPROFILE%\OHRRPGCE
* %USERPROFILE%\OHRRPGCE
* %USERPROFILE%\OHRRPGCE
* %USERPROFILE%\OHRRPGCE
* Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1

I launch all the .exe files directly, no shortcuts.

Also, the HSPEAK from Callipygous+1 worked.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Thanks. Fixed in next nightlies.

What do you know, it wasn't my fault at all! My recent changes were completely coincidental. The real cause was that the nightly Windows build machine was recently replaced (also a month ago), and the lastest version of Euphoria (the language hspeak is written in) from 2012! which James installed on the new build machine behaved different to the version we previously used. Shows how old the old machine was! This was apparently also the first time that I've compiled hspeak.exe for Windows in probably 5+ years as well, I didn't even have Euphoria installed!

hspeak.exe will be updated, although the version number is still the same (3Sd). Custom will now show an error if you have a faulty copy of hspeak.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:30 am, edited 6 times in total.