Test combat

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

areleg
Slime

Test combat

Post by areleg »

Sorry for the multiple questions lately.
Is there a way to test fighting enemies? So I can check for balance/ difficulty. Like setup my hero levels and test fighting a group?
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Re: Test combat

Post by Mammothstuds »

areleg wrote:Sorry for the multiple questions lately.
Is there a way to test fighting enemies? So I can check for balance/ difficulty. Like setup my hero levels and test fighting a group?
What I normally do is I create a temporary NPC in the area my game is saved. I create a text box that triggers a battle with the enemy I want to fight (this is done in the conditionals section), and I make the NPC say that. So this way, I can fight the enemy every time I talk to the NPC. (Delete it when you're done, of course.)

Hope this helps!
areleg
Slime

Post by areleg »

Good idea. Thanks! :)
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

areleg wrote:Good idea. Thanks! :)
No prob!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Not quite what you were asking for, but here's something related: In-game, press F8 to bring up the debug menu. Near the bottom is "Show/test battle formations", which shows which formations are part of the formation set assigned to the tile that the hero is currently standing on, and you can start any of those battles. So you could use this to trigger battles without need to set up an NPC.

Some debug tools to set up battles to test balance would be very nice.

Actually, you can script a lot of those sorts of debug tools yourself and create a menu to access them.
areleg
Slime

Post by areleg »

thanks!