My New Game: Mirrored Soul Gaiden

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

My New Game: Mirrored Soul Gaiden

Post by Mammothstuds »

Heya, folks! I'm Mammothstuds. I am among the most insignificant of users on this site, with only 1 game under my belt (and no, Allu doesn't count).

So anyway, I've started working on a new game. Its working title is Mirrored Soul Gaiden, although keep in mind this is just a working title.

In Mirrored Soul Gaiden, you will join main character Ilwin as he ventures through a mysterious world known as Earth. Or at the very least, what he believes to be Earth.

Meet friends. Defeat enemies. Explore.

But above all, remember: on Earth, nothing is quite as it seems.
Attachments
gaem.gif
gaem.gif (2.69 MiB) Viewed 2875 times
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I like that I can look at the graphics and instantly know that it's a Mammothstuds game. You have a unique style, which is awesome.
Will you be reusing any assets from your HotOHR entry? It would be a shame to see some of them go to waste if you aren't going to finish that one.
vvight.wordpress.com
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

guo wrote:I like that I can look at the graphics and instantly know that it's a Mammothstuds game. You have a unique style, which is awesome.
Will you be reusing any assets from your HotOHR entry? It would be a shame to see some of them go to waste if you aren't going to finish that one.
I may reuse some Successor's Legacy assets, but since I'd say my style has improved since then (albeit not dramatically) I probably will hold off.
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Character Spotlight: Cursyun

Post by Mammothstuds »

Meet Commander Cursyun, your ill-tempered captain.

Despite his belittling attitude, Cursyun isn't much the type for battle, instead opting to sit on his behind and give out mission briefings to his crewmembers. Get on his bad side, and you can bet that "atomic" will not even begin to describe his attitude - and the size of your rations for the night, for that matter.
Attachments
Cursyun.png
Cursyun.png (12.28 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
Last edited by Mammothstuds on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: My New Game: Mirrored Soul Gaiden

Post by kylekrack »

Mammothstuds wrote:Heya, folks! I'm Mammothstuds. I am among the most insignificant of users on this site, with only 1 game under my belt (and no, Allu doesn't count).

So anyway, I've started working on a new game. Its working title is Mirrored Soul Gaiden, although keep in mind this is just a working title.
I LOVE the aesthetic in your games. Makes me excited to play this one next. The onset in this game looks more explicit and easy to follow than Successor's Legacy, which I notice was one of its critiques during HotOHR. Successor's Legacy starts out abruptly, with little to no background, and it made it a little hard to get an idea of what was going on. However, here you've given a much more solid exposition: the character has arrived on this world, Earth, and is exploring it for one reason or another. The reason I point this out is because it fixes what I think the problem with Successor's Legacy is. Where it is so far, Mirrored Soul Gaiden has that utter mystery of what's happening and why, yet it gives the audience just enough exposition to start wondering things. Where did we come from? What are we looking for? Why does this place look nothing like the Earth we know? I don't know where you plan to take it from here, but let me just say, I'm really digging it.

I want to mention that only having one game doesn't make you insignificant. I'd say I only have one game on here that's at all "finished," the rest are tech demos at best. The fact is, Successor's Legacy caught a decent amount of attention. It's a game that cares, that didn't forget that we do this for fun. I think its reviews reflected that. I'm happy to hear from you again, especially with such exciting news.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Re: My New Game: Mirrored Soul Gaiden

Post by Mammothstuds »

kylekrack wrote:
Mammothstuds wrote:Heya, folks! I'm Mammothstuds. I am among the most insignificant of users on this site, with only 1 game under my belt (and no, Allu doesn't count).

I LOVE the aesthetic in your games. Makes me excited to play this one next. The onset in this game looks more explicit and easy to follow than Successor's Legacy, which I notice was one of its critiques during HotOHR. Successor's Legacy starts out abruptly, with little to no background, and it made it a little hard to get an idea of what was going on. However, here you've given a much more solid exposition: the character has arrived on this world, Earth, and is exploring it for one reason or another. The reason I point this out is because it fixes what I think the problem with Successor's Legacy is. Where it is so far, Mirrored Soul Gaiden has that utter mystery of what's happening and why, yet it gives the audience just enough exposition to start wondering things. Where did we come from? What are we looking for? Why does this place look nothing like the Earth we know? I don't know where you plan to take it from here, but let me just say, I'm really digging it.

I want to mention that only having one game doesn't make you insignificant. I'd say I only have one game on here that's at all "finished," the rest are tech demos at best. The fact is, Successor's Legacy caught a decent amount of attention. It's a game that cares, that didn't forget that we do this for fun. I think its reviews reflected that. I'm happy to hear from you again, especially with such exciting news.
Shucks man, you're too kind! Your games are pretty great too, mang.

Also some exciting news you may like: I'm finally abandoning MIDI (thank god). Mirrored Soul Gaiden will have a full-quality soundtrack, with real instruments.
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

First demo!

Post by Mammothstuds »

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

The battle music was great. I like the perspective in battle as well. The graphics all tend to work together quite nicely. Of course, it's not super polished, but that's work saved for later, I guess. I'd love to see some animations, sound effects, music changes based on interactions with the NPCs, and I look forward to seeing things like that.

Really cool demo. Can't wait to see more.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

New Demo!

Post by Mammothstuds »

The demo has been updated! It now goes on a bit longer and has sound effects. Try it out!
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

Sorry for the long hiatus. I'm gonna get back to working on this.