Cyberpunk campaign (Metachat)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

Sweet! Yeah, I've never used d20, so I might need some help.

In the meantime: I'll do what everyone else seems to be doing and build a rough draft of my character.

My character is Scott Ward: a Smart Hero on the path to the Techie class.

Scott is a 19 year old orphan who grew up in the bad part of [whatever city]. As a young child, he bounced around from foster home to foster home, usually getting rejected for being a deviant (with a habit of taking things apart and breaking them to see what made them tick). Eventually, he left the Official Hamster Republic Role Playing Game Construction Engine and never looked back. He makes a living for himself by salvaging and fixing tech around the city, and sometimes... re-appropriating things that he deems unneeded. He's had more than one run-in with the law, but so far has managed to stay out of custody.

When it comes to combat, Scott is pretty frail and prefers fighting from a distance (and even then, prefers non-violent solutions to problems).

Scott will do anything to make fast cash, as long as he deems it morally sound. (Anything short of harming/killing someone).
Sent from my iPhone
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Okay, lets see if I understand wealth points and rolling for equipment correctly.

I start with 8 points, and I get +1 for the Adventurer(street racer) background.

(I wasn't sure whether or not I got another +1 for having ranks in "Profession (Street Racer)", but even if I do it didn't change any of my equipment's outcomes.)

So my starting wealth is +9

That means that at character creation time I can just take anything I want with a DC 9 or less. This gave me the basics like clothing, cell phone, duct tape, knife and stun-gun.

Then I rolled for my most important thing, her motorcycle! Alas, she rolled terribly, and could not get any of the three available motorcycles. (I also rolled for every single vehicle of any kind with a DC 29 or less and she failed every dang one) So I wrote into her backstory why she currently doesn't have a motorcycle.

I then rolled for a weapon, and got her a Laser Pistol, which is cool. That takes her down to Wealth +7

Then I rolled for a leather jacket, and she got that easily, leaving her down with Wealth +6 and me not knowing what else to roll for.

Here is her backstory:

----

Tokamak, like her parents before her, was born into class 1 indenture to the Coca-Cola-Amazon Sub-Orbital Nutrition Logistics Corporation.

At age 10, city-wide riots and general strikes weakened corporate security enough that she could start regularly sneaking out of the factory compound to roam the streets and commit petty theft.

At age 12, her life changed when she stole her first motorcycle and joyrode it until it ran out of gas. It took her two weeks to get back home to the factory. She had a new purpose in life. She was going to do whatever it took to spend the rest of her life riding those things.

At age 17 she had scrimped together enough money from stealing vehicles and street racing that she could afford to buy her freedom from the Corporation (this was only affordable because recent advances in robotics had obsoleted her position, and the Corporation was eager to divest itself of indenture contracts)

She left behind the theft, and focused her attention on winning races to earn money to buy better bikes. She was always a good racer, and always good at winning, but since most motorcycle street-racing was still illegal and underworld-connected, she never got rich. The money for winning a race was good, but the money to be had from gambling was even better. Tokamak was a terrible gambler, and either too proud or not smart enough to bet against herself and take a fall, so she was always losing her money, and just scraping by.

In recent years the top-of-the-line bikes have been out of her price range, and her skill isn't enough to make up for this, so she has started turning back to crime. She'll take almost any job if it seems like it might net her a better bike, and right now, she has no bike at all.

EDIT: Oh, yeah! here is Tokamak's character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1099135
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Hadn't we found a better wiki for the d20 Modern stuff? I can't find most of the resources I'd been using

EDIT: ALso, holy slime, you can get hoverboards in this era. That's almost tempting enough for a new concept
Last edited by Gizmog on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

Gizmog wrote:EDIT: ALso, holy slime, you can get hoverboards in this era. That's almost tempting enough for a new concept
Sent from my iPhone
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

The Doctor is in! I think I'm mostly done but I still have a few weird questions. Does the Subcutaneous Armor cybernetic require an armor proficiency feat? And does it count as a cybernetic for the purposes of determing how many is too many? Armor Proficiency needs a lot of feats!

My other question is with regards to Miniaturization and Compacting technology. How does that change the weight?

How long is a default length of Duracable? Am I crazy or is it cheaper than rope?

There's a second set of like... Universal Communicator + Heads Up Display + Motion Detector at home that I added to the sheet with the idea that I could use my carried UniCom, Hud and Display Glasses to periodically peek in and see how the patients were doing. Is that feasible?

Was also shocked to re-read and see that hoverboards are PL 7, not 6. But it makes total sense.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Haha!, the Doctor looks like he is going to be fun

I added three more cybernetic implants for Tokamac. She now has three Skill Implants, giving her bonuses for "Ride", "Drive", and "Disable Device"

I figured the first two would be good for her street-racer persona, and the Disable Device would be appropriate for a vehicle thief who often has to disable the security features of the cars or bikes she is stealing.

I also wanted to blast through her remaining wealth points, so not only can she not afford to buy a new bike without taking this job, she can't even afford to keep paying the rent on the secure storage unit where she usually keeps them.

I like to think that in better days she would sleep on the floor of her storage unit, in between her two favorite bikes. Now, even though the storage is empty, she can't sleep in there because it is so empty. She lays there in her sleeping bag in the middle of the greasy concrete floor, and every time she reaches out to caress one of the tires, and remembers it isn't there, she bursts into silent tears.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.